Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
Talking Hi, from Portugal, "The eBook Reader Choice"

Hey there, my name is Ricardo Cunha, but I don't like my name that much, so I would prefer if you address to me as Takeshi or Akuma or something related to my nick.

I'm from Portugal, I have no idea if there's any Portuguese around here or not but it will be at least me from now on .

I'm just ordering now my 1st eBook Reader, a Kindle 3 and entering this fabulous world of e-ink. I've spent almost 2 months researching about e-readers and deciding which one I would get, but outside of USA it's a bit more difficult as we're limited on what's available for us.

It all came down to 2 readers, Kindle 3 or Sony prs-650. I almost went for the Sony, I preferred the touch option more and pdf readability seemed better, because of custom zoom and whatnot, and I find it more sexy

But while the Kindle is approximately 230$ here the Sony it's like 380$, huge difference in price, price I would not pay for the differences I mentioned above.

At last the choice was made, but I didn't stop there, I still went to research some more on Kindle (I'm very picky with the things I buy, not that I didn't think kindle was not great enough at the beginning, I just like to be sure) and there were some things that absolutely gave a point of no return:

-Kindle Hackability: the opportunity to put alternative OS, programs, use the KDK (if they accept me someday), modify things to customize the reader.
-Indie Authors: I love the fact that there's so many indie authors on amazon writing for kindle, the often have really good book and you can't interact with them, I find it great.
-Amazon have a great selection of books.
-Amazon has the best costumer service.
-Amazon/Kindle community and information are great and we have many places dedicated to Kindle.

My choice was absolutely made after knowing all this, even when the Kobo Touch and Nook 2 were announce I searched a bit among the information that was given about them (not much I know) but even then I didn't even blink, the only thing I really liked from them it's the touchscreen. And of course Nook I can't even think about it because it's only obtainable on USA.

Of course that are some things a new Kindle should really have, there could be more but these ones I think are almost necessary:

-Touchscreen (absolutely) but without page turn buttons and keep maybe menu.
-Read ePUB, I'm not thinking in using that format but I think it's necessary for many folks.
-More liberty on zoom, like a scroll bar or input the amount zoom wanted.
-Improvements to PDF reader.

While doing all my research this site helped me a lot, and it appeared a lot on the Google results, so now that I finally made my mind I'm joining this wonderful community.

for your time reading this (I know it's long) but I just wanted to give you an insight how I reached here and what were the steps.

PS: Of course the Kindle has more advantages besides those I said, but that is debated all over the internet and I wanted to give something different that people normally don't talk about.

Last edited by AkumaTakeshi; 05-27-2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: typos and the reminder.
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Akuma. A few Portuguese members here and some from Brazil, always on the look out for Portuguese language ebooks (but your written English is superb, so I reckon you also read comfortably in that language). Happy Kindling and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Ricardo. You might be interested in this thread.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
Olá Ricardo/Takeshi

Benvindo!

Já existem alguns portugueses aqui, mas sabe sempre ver novos a chegar! Se precisares de alguma coisa não hesites.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Obrigado

Dei uma olhada já a tread que criaste e tudo e achei interessante, sei que é pouca selecção mas já me surpreendeu nem pensei que houvessem eBooks portugueses quanto mais

Suponho que quando se está num atraso de país o mínimo possível surpreende
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Akuma and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker

Thanks all for the warm welcome, seems a nice community

Happy reading to all...
Old 06-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread ….
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
choice, ereader, introduction, kindle, portugal