Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2007, 01:02 PM   #46
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
How do you know about that?
They told us about it during the Conference Call on Monday, astra_lestat.

It's mentioned in the 18th paragraph, the one after the bit about being recognized as a USB mass storage device -- that probably distracted you, completely understandable.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:22 PM   #47
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
The good bit is that the 505 will charge from USB even when the battery is totally flat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
How do you know about that?
The Sony Rep told us that on the conference call about the 505. It was important because it was also the reason that the A/C adapter is not an optional accessory instead of included with the Reader. (That, plus the fact that the charging time is not very long, even through USB. I think it was a full charge in about 4hrs.)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #48
darkstar
Enthusiast
darkstar began at the beginning.

Device: sony 500 505, kindleDX,KA1
There are USB gizmos with 4 AA batteries that will charge a USB powered device. I wonder if this would work to charge the reader away from a AC plug.
darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:26 PM   #49
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
There are USB gizmos with 4 AA batteries that will charge a USB powered device. I wonder if this would work to charge the reader away from a AC plug.
There are also AA batteries that will charge from a USB powered device. Not relevant here, but interesting to some I'm sure.

See.... http://www.usbcell.com/
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #50
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
They've just made the AC adapter an optional accessory, is all.

The good bit is that the 505 will charge from USB even when the battery is totally flat.
That might explain how they kept the 505 price the same as the 500. All that copper is expensive and they save on boxing and transport too. In retrospect that charger is awfully big, almost as heavy as the reader.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2007, 09:25 AM   #51
ZeBuddha
MonkeyWrench
ZeBuddha began at the beginning.

Device: SE K800i & PSP - looking at PRS500 :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHiatt243 View Post
I still think sony missed the boat with this format. I bought the reader because of support for the pdf's. turns out that you can barley read it with out formatting it a half a dozen times. For $300 this thing should support every ebook format know to man and then some

The least Sony could of done was include some kind of decent converter for PDF's or include image support for rich text files(Not sure if that's even possible)
AS long as they support digital editions with out having to covert any files for the prs-500 I'll be happy
Don't hold me on this, but from what I've picked up reading through the forum while trying to pick what reader I was going to get, you'd probably have been better off with an Illiad... but then of course there's a price to that... in both dimensions and $$$...

Afaik, the PRS-500 and all other 6" readers are basically just text-only. They CAN display images, etc., but it's not their main purpose. Heck, I still use my PSP to read mangas, simply cos it can scroll and it can quickly zoom-in/out...

And as far as pdf are concerned... well... the entire format is designed from the ground up as a wysiwyg hardcopy/print format, on paper at 300dpi or more. And it's extremely inflexible when it comes to resizing/etc. Trying to reformat complex/image-rich pdfs for a 6" screen is like trying to print a flash website... it might be possible, but it's simply not designed for it.
ZeBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:15 AM   #52
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeBuddha View Post
Don't hold me on this, but from what I've picked up reading through the forum while trying to pick what reader I was going to get, you'd probably have been better off with an Illiad... but then of course there's a price to that... in both dimensions and $$$...

Afaik, the PRS-500 and all other 6" readers are basically just text-only. They CAN display images, etc., but it's not their main purpose. Heck, I still use my PSP to read mangas, simply cos it can scroll and it can quickly zoom-in/out...

And as far as pdf are concerned... well... the entire format is designed from the ground up as a wysiwyg hardcopy/print format, on paper at 300dpi or more. And it's extremely inflexible when it comes to resizing/etc. Trying to reformat complex/image-rich pdfs for a 6" screen is like trying to print a flash website... it might be possible, but it's simply not designed for it.
This is why some of us wish Adobe Digital Editions were onboard a reader. All would come to life but I guess eink being what it is would hamper it quite a bit. For instance there is no refresh rate for that screen, it is refreshed only at each button command, so scrolling and zooming being fundamentally 'animation' are prevented from functioning properly. The next eink would have to be like the Iliad, but there goes battery duration. Can't have it all... sigh!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #53
NickHiatt243
NickHiatt243 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
Pdf converters

And as far as pdf are concerned... well... the entire format is designed from the ground up as a wysiwyg hardcopy/print format, on paper at 300dpi or more. And it's extremely inflexible when it comes to resizing/etc. Trying to reformat complex/image-rich pdfs for a 6" screen is like trying to print a flash website... it might be possible, but it's simply not designed for it.[/QUOTE]

All we really need is for someone to write an excellent pdf to lrf converter that is easy to use. Right now I use pdf2lrf which works great except for I lose my sizing abilities and Some of the pages end up getting split but at least its readable and I get to keep my images. Hell, I would be even happy to convert to a rich text file if sony would add image support.

Or with DE, adobe could make a converter that would take an epub and turn it into an lrf. I know it can be done. Some talented programmer could do this but it all comes down to DRM.

I know it will never happen but it would be great to have a converter that converts to every ebook format ie BBeB, LIT, Mobipocket, Rocketbook, PDF, RTF, epub to what ever format you need.

Or maybe books stores could provide way to choose what model of reader the customer has and then when they buy the ebook it could convert to work on thier reader before they download it.

I know, I know DRM DRM DRM
NickHiatt243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #54
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
A lot of folks have had good results with pdflrf (not to be confused with pdf2lrf ), it might work better for you.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:39 AM   #55
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
OMG, the 505 can be recognized as a USB mass storage device?

I like it!
F.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:47 PM   #56
NetVicious
NetVicious began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Virtual comparison:

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_com...Reader-PRS-505

I think the buttons are now better placed but it's a bit ugly compared with the PRS-500.

The new PDF of the PRS505 Specifications corrects the number of greys
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod....pl?mdl=PRS505
NetVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:33 PM   #57
chesterchen
chesterchen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Was intending to get a 8GB SD card to use on the Sony Reader, any one knows if it might work?
chesterchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:29 PM   #58
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
No, it won't. Get 2GB or less.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:04 PM   #59
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterchen View Post
Was intending to get a 8GB SD card to use on the Sony Reader, any one knows if it might work?
I think it does support an 8GB Memory Stick Pro though. But, those are about $100.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:11 AM   #60
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think it does support an 8GB Memory Stick Pro though. But, those are about $100.

BOb
Personally, I don't see the point. Without a folder-based navigation system even a 2GB card is overkill for me. On my Nokia N800 I have two 8GB cards, one of which easily holds my entire book collection, browsable with FBReader. On my Sony, I keep a few hundred books in in internal memory, organized in collections.

I really miss HDSD support and folders
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote