Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
Maike13
Connoisseur
Maike13 began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Iliad 1st Ed.
Can I trust IRex Dr800SG delivery date?

I was all set to buy a Kindle 2 until I saw the press announcement for the IRex DR800SG. It seems to answer very well some of the things I don't like about the Kindle 2. Of course there are some downsides too, like higher price and no browsing. My main problem is that I'm going on vacation early November and really wanted to have a reader by then (my first), to take with me. Can I trust IRex's press release statement that "The IREX DR800SG with a leather cover will be available in October at select Best Buy locations." What's their past record been like for getting new readers in the stores when promised?

If you'd like to add any other comments on the pros and cons of purchasing the IREX DR800SG, those would be welcome too.
Maike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
iRex have a good record of delivering hardware; they have an equally "reliable" record of taking several updates of the operating system to make it work properly.

However, given the fact that the new machine is very similar to the DR1000S (which now has a rock solid o/s), perhaps it'll be OK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Maike13
Connoisseur

Thanks. That sounds encouraging. Yes, I'd noticed from posts I read here that they seemed to have to do quite a bit of bug fixing in the past. Do they normally get some units out to reviewers before the launch, or will I have to wait 'till after the launch for any in depth reviews? I'd particularly like to know what the battery life is like, as this seems to have been an issue in the past.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maike13 View Post
...will be available in October at select Best Buy locations."
Are you sure your store is a 'select Best Buy Location'? Sounds like a very limited roll-out in October with most locations probably getting their shipments in mid-November to have them available for Black Friday on the 27th this year.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
Maike13
Connoisseur

Good point. I'm in Houston so have a couple of dozen Best Buys within reasonable distance. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that at least one of these will be "select". Could be only in New York or something like that though.
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Good point. I'm in Houston so have a couple of dozen Best Buys within reasonable distance.
Might be worth floating that question NOW to customer service. The worst they can do is shrug and say they don't know. You might get lucky and find someone with the plan and convince him you have a built in audience (MR members) anxiously awaiting his/her reply.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
Maike13
Connoisseur

Worth a shot. I sent an inquiry to IRex customer service and, just for good measure, Best Buy customer service too. I'll report back if I hear anything or not.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:50 AM   #8
Maike13
Connoisseur

I asked IRex if there would be a "select" Best Buy selling the DR800SG in my area (Houston) when it goes on sale later this month, and I got this reply:

"Best Buy will offer this product on and off line, so you could always
buy it online."
Old 10-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader

Maike13

Encouraging I guess. If you REALLY want one ASAP, consider watching their site closely to be one of the first ones to order when the website permits it since most of these are run as First-Come-First-Served in order fulfillment. They might even have a pre-order page come up online and that usually means they have a high degree of confidence in a set date to receive them.

PLEASE post a review the day (hour?) you get yours. It sounds like you are convinced this is the device for you and I'm sure you'll be happy, but unique device characteristics will be the deciding factor for many others and your first hand knowledge will be very valuable to MR readers.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
arckal
arckal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Bestbuy people don't know, what the heck is DR800

I have checked here in local Chicago Bestbuy stores (various locations), all of them respond "What is IREX DR800?", seems they do not know about IREX DR800 thing. All they said is "We have Sony eBook only."
arckal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
Maike13
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post

............ PLEASE post a review the day (hour?) you get yours. It sounds like you are convinced this is the device for you and I'm sure you'll be happy, but unique device characteristics will be the deciding factor for many others and your first hand knowledge will be very valuable to MR readers.
Not sure about the hour , but I'll try and post something ASAP after purchase, if it seems useful. I'm hoping IRex may get a few samples into the hands of reviewers ahead of the actual release, in which case an amateurish review from me may not be needed. I'm not sure if that will happen though.

You're quite right that different people want different things from a reader. Personally I want an e-book reader to be as close to a book as possible. I'm not really that interested in touch screen, note taking, web browsing etc. If you can include these without harming the reading experience, great, I'll take them. This seems to align pretty well with IRex's stated goals for their e-readers. I looked at the Sony readers but the screen reflection on the PRS-600 is a major distraction from the reading experience for me (others may not be bothered by this), and the PRS-300 has too small a reading area for my taste. The 505 might be a possibility, but I haven't seen one, and prices seem rather high for a discontinued item. The Kindle 2 would also suit me fine, I think. However the Kindle 2 and IRex DR800SG look close to the same size (although slightly different shapes) and, if I'm going to have a device that size, I'd prefer 8" of reading area rather than 6". I don't see me using the Kindle 2 keyboard much (if at all), so it's just wasted space to me.

As you say, there will certainly be others with completely different requirements and priorities.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #12
Maike13
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by arckal View Post
I have checked here in local Chicago Bestbuy stores (various locations), all of them respond "What is IREX DR800?", seems they do not know about IREX DR800 thing. All they said is "We have Sony eBook only."
If Best Buy is like my employer, the employees are the last people to learn about the company's plans .
Old 10-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by arckal View Post
Folks in the stores won't likely know anything about them until they're in stock and on the sales floor.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #14
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
You're quite right that different people want different things from a reader. Personally I want an e-book reader to be as close to a book as possible. I'm not really that interested in touch screen, note taking, web browsing etc. If you can include these without harming the reading experience, great, I'll take them. This seems to align pretty well with IRex's stated goals for their e-readers. I looked at the Sony readers but the screen reflection on the PRS-600 is a major distraction from the reading experience for me (others may not be bothered by this), and the PRS-300 has too small a reading area for my taste. The 505 might be a possibility, but I haven't seen one, and prices seem rather high for a discontinued item. The Kindle 2 would also suit me fine, I think. However the Kindle 2 and IRex DR800SG look close to the same size (although slightly different shapes) and, if I'm going to have a device that size, I'd prefer 8" of reading area rather than 6". I don't see me using the Kindle 2 keyboard much (if at all), so it's just wasted space to me.

As you say, there will certainly be others with completely different requirements and priorities.
If iRex can match the DR1000 with regards to firmware, I would personally be quite confident with buying the 800 - and given your requirements in general, I would definitely suggest it in preference to the Kindle or a Sony.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #15
Maike13
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
If iRex can match the DR1000 with regards to firmware, I would personally be quite confident with buying the 800 - and given your requirements in general, I would definitely suggest it in preference to the Kindle or a Sony.
Thanks for the advice. I've seen some complaints about battery life on the DR1000S. Did you have any problem with yours?

Last edited by Maike13; 10-08-2009 at 01:39 PM.