Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #1
rootsdigger05
rootsdigger05 began at the beginning.

Device: DELL XPS 15, Windows 7 SP1
Calibre 3.23.0 Runtime error upon startup

Hi,

I just installed Calibre 3.23.0 and now I get a C++ runtime error upon startup.
(See attached).

Help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre-Runtime-Error.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	163967  
rootsdigger05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:58 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootsdigger05 View Post
Hi,

(See attached).
This question would have been better asked in the Calibre forum.

See Calibre for the forum.

If you click ok on the popup, does calibre continue to load or do you get another popup?

Was this a new install of calibre or was it an upgrade from an earlier version? If it was an upgrade from an earlier version, I would suggest uninstalling calibre and then deleting the Calibre2 directory from Program Files. This will not affect your calibre data. After the uninstall, re-install calibre.

If it was a clean install, the first possibility that comes to mind is that you have more than one install of a Microsoft C++ library or that you have a missing install of a Microsoft C++ library. I've seen both trigger that error message.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2018, 02:48 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootsdigger05 View Post
Hi,

(See attached).

Help?
Which version of Windows are you running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Was this a new install of calibre or was it an upgrade from an earlier version? If it was an upgrade from an earlier version, I would suggest uninstalling calibre and then deleting the Calibre2 directory from Program Files. This will not affect your calibre data. After the uninstall, re-install calibre.
In this case it should be - ". . . delete the Calibre2 directory from Program Files (X86)".

But I'd suggest the OP uninstall it via the Control Panel Programs and Features applet, that should clean-up the Trusted installer related registry entries.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:14 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
In this case it should be - ". . . delete the Calibre2 directory from Program Files (X86)".
My bad. I missed the 32 bit install on 64 bit windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
But I'd suggest the OP uninstall it via the Control Panel Programs and Features applet, that should clean-up the Trusted installer related registry entries.
I thought I had that covered under "uninstalling calibre and then deleting the Calibre2 directory"?
Old 05-14-2018, 11:37 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Oops, I (mis)read what you wrote as 'uninstall calibre by deleting the Calibre2 directory'.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2018, 11:43 PM   #6
rootsdigger05
rootsdigger05 began at the beginning.

Device: DELL XPS 15, Windows 7 SP1
Problem solved.
First, I un-installed all previous versions of Microsoft Visual C++ (2005 thru 2012).
Second, I deleted the Calibre2 directory, as advised above.
Voila!
Calibre now launches without issues.
Sorry about posting to the incorrect place, but the link to the "forum" was posted here:
https://calibre-ebook.com/help
rootsdigger05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist

No problem. Good to hear calibre is now working for you. One question did you install the 32 bit or 64 bit version this time. Not much difference unless you are converting a complex document where the 64 bit's extra memory allows some conversions to succeed.