Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-24-2018, 03:19 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Travel, or foreign places. (Obviously, what's foreign to me is different than what's foreign to you.) So Travels with Charlie is foreign to me, as is Aaron Fletcher's Outback. But both of those would be 'local' (if one can call anything local in countries the size of Australia and the US) to others in the club. OTOH, Out in the Midday Sun is probably foreign to nearly all of us.
With foreign, we can also nominate books that take place not on Earth or an alternate Earth.

But I do think that foreign should be foreign to everyone. For example, Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín. It takes place in both the US and Ireland.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:22 PM   #62
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Books about music, art, theater
Artfully Chosen -- Books related to the arts.

I like it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2018, 03:33 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I like it.
I have a book for this if it happens.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:54 PM   #64
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't have any books thought out yet for the next batch of themes, primarily because we don't know what they are, yet. But the fun of this so far has been thinking of ways to stretch the theme and find interesting books to nominate. Even though I only nominated one book for the first month, I actually identified a round dozen that I considered worthy. And ended up buying and reading(!) three -- the one I nominated, the one chosen, and one other. And, I might add, all three were more than worthy books that I wouldn't have found without the club. So far, this new club is both exciting and fun. And doing evil things to my book budget! But in a good cause.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:57 PM   #65
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:

I like it.
Or, could include a book about the artful dodger, or Art Tatum.

Yup, passes the twisted test. I love themes that mean more than the obvious!
Advert
Old 01-24-2018, 04:09 PM   #66
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
I don't have any books thought out yet for the next batch of themes, primarily because we don't know what they are, yet. But the fun of this so far has been thinking of ways to stretch the theme and find interesting books to nominate. Even though I only nominated one book for the first month, I actually identified a round dozen that I considered worthy. And ended up buying and reading(!) three -- the one I nominated, the one chosen, and one other. And, I might add, all three were more than worthy books that I wouldn't have found without the club. So far, this new club is both exciting and fun. And doing evil things to my book budget! But in a good cause.
I'm enjoying the theme approach. It's a true shift to broader thinking and is helping me to identify all kinds of books that would be hidden through my usual genre searches. I have also bought and read books this month that I found during my nomination quest. Not good for my TBR though!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:23 PM   #67
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
For children, maybe Kids these days as the title, there are lots of different ways to interpret that from classic kids books (Anne of Green Gables; The Secret Garden; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; etc.) and anything else intended for children (which would include anything intended for teens like most YA), books that feature a child or multiple children, and could also include a lot of non-fiction books (related to child-rearing or science of growing up either biologically or emotionally, etc.)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:58 PM   #68
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I would have interpreted "these days" as implying contemporary rather than inclusive of classics. So maybe Not Just for the Kids or possibly Suitable for All Ages (alluding to content classification), although this latter might be thought to exclude YA etc (could be a good thing?).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:23 AM   #69
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Or Rated PG.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:43 AM   #70
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How about: Never Too Old ? That seems to satisfy the twist test pretty well, the obvious/usual implication is related to kids books, but could mean lots of different things.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:25 PM   #71
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Or Wasted on the Young to pick up a comment by issybird about books read in school.

Following on from Revenge and War, we could have one called History which could cover alternative histories, or books set in the past, but probably not history textbooks!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:34 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Or Wasted on the Young to pick up a comment by issybird about books read in school.
That's brilliant. I'm all for it.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #73
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

^ Ditto.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:01 PM   #74
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Since this slate will cover the months from May through August, how about Summer? (With apologies to the Antipodeans.) Perhaps, Those Lazy, Crazy, Hazy Days ?

Last edited by issybird; 01-25-2018 at 09:08 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:26 PM   #75
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
That's okay: it will warm up the Antipodeans in the middle of winter!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote