Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-22-2017, 03:54 PM   #106
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Name me one Kindle that can use DRMed eBooks from any eBookstore outside of Amazon? Any Reader that uses RMSDK can use any eBookstore that sells ePub that uses Adobe Adept DRM. That means any eBookstore that sells ePub minus B&N and Apple.
Not directly, which (of course) was my point. You're stuck with the proprietary Adobe DRM scheme.

Quote:
Cheaper depends on which models you are comparing. You can use ADE 2.0.1 with Wine. It's just a hassle to get the setup working. You just don't want to bother. Yes, Kindle for PC and Kobo Desktop are easier to get running under Wine. But because you don't want to get ADE 2.0.1 working, you are limiting yourself.
Cheaper means ... cheaper. Today I can buy a refurbished Kindle 8th Generation Kindle Basic (with 1 year warranty) for $40 – or pay $10 more and get a brand new one (although I don't see any difference). Or I can find used Kindles for next to nothing ($5 to $15) in just about any pawn shop in my area, or (for a little more) on CraigsList. So it's cheap to get into the Amazon ecosystem.

Yes, I know I'm limiting myself but, by avoiding using a Kindle, you're also limiting yourself. There are some advantages when buying from Amazon. We've both made choices and making a choice (by its nature) results in limitations.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-22-2017 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Originally left out "more"
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:02 PM   #107
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Not directly, which (of course) was my point. You're stuck with the proprietary Adobe DRM scheme.

Cheaper means ... cheaper. Today I can buy a refurbished Kindle 8th Generation Kindle Basic (with 1 year warranty) for $40 – or pay $10 and get a brand new one (although I don't see any difference). Or I can find used Kindles for next to nothing ($5 to $15) in just about any pawn shop in my area, or (for a little more) on CraigsList. So it's cheap to get into the Amazon ecosystem.

Yes, I know I'm limiting myself but, by avoiding using a Kindle, you're also limiting yourself. There are some advantages when buying from Amazon. We've both made choices and making a choice (by its nature) results in limitations.
Hard to find the ereaders in the pawn shops out here. The tablets are easy to find.
Besides Amazon's ecosystem is pretty good.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2017, 04:08 PM   #108
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Try this wiki.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

I only know because I have both and had to look them up.
Okay, thanks. So mine is a B023 which is called a K4 or (less confusingly) a K4B (Kindle 4 Black). But this isn't the universal naming scheme. Many times in Kindle articles I'll see the Kindle Touch called a 4th generation Kindle (along with the K4S (slate)) and the K4B a "5th generation Kindle." But I guess that's going by the year released instead of the software versions, which would make more sense. So maybe I'm finally figuring this all out.

Thanks for the link.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #109
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Hard to find the ereaders in the pawn shops out here. The tablets are easy to find.
I've bought most of my (and family) Kindles (and a couple Nooks) at pawn shops – though DFW may be unique in this.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:13 PM   #110
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I've bought most of my (and family) Kindles (and a couple Nooks) at pawn shops – though DFW may be unique in this.
So did I. You probably have more readers than we do out here in the oilfield.
Check your pms.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2017, 05:53 PM   #111
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
So the correct answer is that there is no eBookstore that sells DRMed eBooks that work with a Kindle outside of Amazon.
Wrong. Pottermore.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:22 PM   #112
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
You are making a big fuss about the Adobe DRM scheme being proprietary. Yes, it is. But, Adobe is very willing to license it to anyone who wants to pay for it. And lots of companies have taken up that license. Exactly how they use it varies. Kobo only allows sideloading. Sony allowed downloading from libraries and their shop (don't know about other shops). B&N download from their store. I'm sure I have seen that some apps will download the ACSM file and hence the book (don't know for sure as I don't use them).

On the other hand, I have never heard of Amazon allowing any other shops to sell books with their DRM protection scheme (excluding John F's statement). That makes it a much more closed system. And while I don't particularly think much of any of the DRM schemes around, I have a lot less issues with the concept behind Adobe DRM than Amazons scheme.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:44 PM   #113
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Wrong. Pottermore.
How does it work? From what I can see, Pottermore has dropped DRM and before that, it was using a watermark style DRM.

Maybe JSWolf isn't being clear, but he is referring to use of the encrypted style of DRM that Amazon uses. I have never heard of another store selling books protected in this way that could be used on a Kindle.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:56 PM   #114
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
How does it work? From what I can see, Pottermore has dropped DRM and before that, it was using a watermark style DRM.

Maybe JSWolf isn't being clear, but he is referring to use of the encrypted style of DRM that Amazon uses. I have never heard of another store selling books protected in this way that could be used on a Kindle.
Go back and read his question. He asked about DRM. No mention of encrypted, social, ...
Old 11-22-2017, 11:34 PM   #115
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Looks like you're right. While I was out this afternoon I checked a couple pawn shops that used to have Kindles (and Nooks) all the time – not one in either store. I guess they quit buying them. (Probably tired of selling them for $10.)
Old 11-22-2017, 11:43 PM   #116
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You are making a big fuss about the Adobe DRM scheme being proprietary. Yes, it is. But, Adobe is very willing to license it to anyone who wants to pay for it. And lots of companies have taken up that license. Exactly how they use it varies. Kobo only allows sideloading. Sony allowed downloading from libraries and their shop (don't know about other shops). B&N download from their store. I'm sure I have seen that some apps will download the ACSM file and hence the book (don't know for sure as I don't use them).

On the other hand, I have never heard of Amazon allowing any other shops to sell books with their DRM protection scheme (excluding John F's statement). That makes it a much more closed system. And while I don't particularly think much of any of the DRM schemes around, I have a lot less issues with the concept behind Adobe DRM than Amazons scheme.
Still one ultimate source for DRM in both cases. And, if you don't have or use ADE, Adobe's scheme is just as restrictive as Amazon's. You still have one corporation controlling DRM in the ePub world. Personally I don't feel very restricted by Amazon and, obviously, you don't feel very restricted by Adobe. For most people ADE is not a problem. But I've chosen to stay away from Apple and Microsoft so, for me, Amazon's ecosystem is the better choice for me.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:07 AM   #117
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Still one ultimate source for DRM in both cases. And, if you don't have or use ADE, Adobe's scheme is just as restrictive as Amazon's. You still have one corporation controlling DRM in the ePub world. Personally I don't feel very restricted by Amazon and, obviously, you don't feel very restricted by Adobe. For most people ADE is not a problem. But I've chosen to stay away from Apple and Microsoft so, for me, Amazon's ecosystem is the better choice for me.
Hmmm.... Kobo uses their proprietary DRM for books synced from their store. And, yes, it's an epub file with added spans. B&N use a proprietary modification of Adobe's ADEPT DRM which I seem to remember as being tied to a credit card number. I will admit to being one of those people who have no issues with Adobe's DRM as long as I can avoid their new variant. All blessings on Apprentices Alf and Harper and their helpers.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:55 AM   #118
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm.... Kobo uses their proprietary DRM for books synced from their store. And, yes, it's an epub file with added spans. B&N use a proprietary modification of Adobe's ADEPT DRM which I seem to remember as being tied to a credit card number. I will admit to being one of those people who have no issues with Adobe's DRM as long as I can avoid their new variant. All blessings on Apprentices Alf and Harper and their helpers.
New variant of Adobe's DRM? What are they changing? (Probably not the right thread for that question – I'll see what I can find via Google.)
Old 11-23-2017, 05:04 AM   #119
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Any ebook store that sells a format that Kindle supports and has "social" DRM.
Quote:
Wrong. Pottermore.
I may have misspoken about the names of the DRM. I believe that Pottermore is using Watermarking DRM, I'm not sure if it is considered Social DRM. Be that as it may, Kindles will read ebooks sold by Pottermore with the DRM that Pottermore uses.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:41 AM   #120
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Go back and read his question. He asked about DRM. No mention of encrypted, social, ...
DRM...where the eBook is tied to specific devices/apps. Where you cannot edit or look at the code.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote