Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
meta-data dialogue -- some suggestions / questions

hi kovid,
a couple of possible enhancements have occurred to me while importing books lately. they are nothing vital, but i thought if they were at all easy to implement they could be nice enhancements.

they are all concerning the meta-data.

1. when i import a book whose author is specified as "Lastname, Firstname" calibre apparently interprets that as multiple authors and shows "Lastname & Firstname" in the author field, although it correctly uses a comma in the author sort field. since i prefer all my authors to be shown last name first this is a bit annoying. any way to fix this so that it doesn't change the comma into the ampersand ?

2. i like to use the "publisher" field to add the name of the person who made the book ("Patricia", "mtravallerh", "jellby"...) if there is no other relevant publisher data (feedbooks automatically fills this field, but the others i add manually). since i seem to download quite a lot of books from the same people, is there any chance the editor field could remember previous answers and auto-complete from the first letters (and / or offer a drop-down list) the same way it does for series info ?

2b. speaking of autocomplete, i love this feature for the series, but i was wondering if there is a way to force the auto-complete to respect capitalisation of the existing tag ? like, if i start typing "ser" and i have the tag "Series X", it will autocomplete "series X", but i'd love it to autocomplete "Series X" for a more uniform result. (this is obviously really really trivial, but since i'm asking... ).

3. if i am adding books in multiple formats (i regularly download the imp format if available, for my ebookwise, and if there is no epub format i add the mobi format as well as lrf because it's easier to extract the html from, to my knowledge), if i add the wrong format first (imp...) the cover image is not properly extracted even if it's present, but i haven't found a way to force the cover extraction from an additional format added later. is this possible ? the only way i've found is to delete the book completely and re-import, or add a different cover image altogether manually.

as i said, none of these are really vital, so i won't be vexed if you don't have time / inclination to incorporate them ! but i thought i'd mention them just in case.

thanks again for all your work ! i don't know how i got along without calibre before.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
as i said, none of these are really vital, so i won't be vexed if you don't have time / inclination to incorporate them ! but i thought i'd mention them just in case.
I think those all all good ideas. You should create tickets for this in Kovid's trac system. This way he doesn't have to wade through the forum to see what suggestion people have made.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Option 2b is sort of there already, as although it does not put the capitialisation in on auto-complete it always takes it from when the first entry for that series was completed as you can see if you look at the results after pressing OK.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think those all all good ideas. You should create tickets for this in Kovid's trac system. This way he doesn't have to wade through the forum to see what suggestion people have made.

BOb
ah, i didn't realise ; i'll check into that. i guess i should make an individual ticket for each suggestion ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Option 2b is sort of there already, as although it does not put the capitialisation in on auto-complete it always takes it from when the first entry for that series was completed as you can see if you look at the results after pressing OK.
ah, thanks ! i hadn't noticed (since i was hand-correcting them before clicking ok). great !
Old 01-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i guess i should make an individual ticket for each suggestion ?
Yes. That would be best.

BOb
Old 01-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The , = multiple authors is not going to change because a lot of ebooks still use commas for multiple authors. So is you tend to use those types of books, you would be annoyed that calibre doesn't map commas to multiple authors

As for 3, this again depends on usage patterns. FOr instance, I usually add the first format, then download the cover using librarything. Now when fresh formats are added later, I would not want the downloaded cover to be overwritten.

The rest of them I have no problems with. In fact I believe there is already a ticket for extending autocomplete to authors and publisher.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

hm. i (thought i) just created tickets for items 1 2 & 3 (not 2b ), but when i clicked on "view tickets" it says i have none. i just registered and have never created a ticket before and obviously there is something i'm missing. is there a two-step validation process ? like, when i create the ticket and click "create ticket", it shows me the ticket i've just created and there are some new options (adding files, etc.) in that screen, is there a second validation step ?

if the tickets *have* been created and there is a lag before they're visible i don't want to make duplicates of them... should i try it again ?
Old 01-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
if the tickets *have* been created and there is a lag before they're visible i don't want to make duplicates of them... should i try it again ?
I see them. Tickets 1520, 1521 and 1522.

BOb
Old 01-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The , = multiple authors is not going to change because a lot of ebooks still use commas for multiple authors. So is you tend to use those types of books, you would be annoyed that calibre doesn't map commas to multiple authors
hm, i understand what you mean, but why not leave the commas, as they can also suggest multiple authors ? or leave whatever has been manually entered (like, if the meta data already has a comma, it stays a comma, but if it has an ampersand it stays an ampersand) ? it's not a huge deal though.

Quote:
As for 3, this again depends on usage patterns. FOr instance, I usually add the first format, then download the cover using librarything. Now when fresh formats are added later, I would not want the downloaded cover to be overwritten.
yes, sometimes (often) i add my own cover manually as well if there is none or i don't like the included cover. but it could be nice to have a manual option to extract a new cover : it wouldn't happen automatically, but you could propose to upload a new cover *or* extract it from a file.

Quote:
The rest of them I have no problems with. In fact I believe there is already a ticket for extending autocomplete to authors and publisher.
great ! thanks !!
Old 01-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
I see them. Tickets 1520, 1521 and 1522.

BOb
where do you see them ? i clicked on "view tickets" and i still get "no tickets found", even when i erase the "owner is" field.

(thanks for checking though ! glad to know they are there).
Old 01-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
They're all there, you can see them here http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/timeline
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

never mind, i think i understand now ; i collapsed the filter box to get rid of "author is" filter... now i see a whole list of tickets. thanks.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
They're all there, you can see them here http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/timeline
thanks kovid, now i see them ! cheers.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
where do you see them ? i clicked on "view tickets" and i still get "no tickets found", even when i erase the "owner is" field.
I went to "view tickets" then set status to only show "new". Then I sorted on the Ticket column descending (click it twice) and the newest three were at the top.

The default sort order is priority... which isn't how you want to see them when you just added them.

BOb

EDIT: You can also add a filter of "reported by" and put Contains Zelda and it finds them straight away.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
I went to "view tickets" then set status to only show "new". Then I sorted on the Ticket column descending (click it twice) and the newest three were at the top.

The default sort order is priority... which isn't how you want to see them when you just added them.

BOb

EDIT: You can also add a filter of "reported by" and put Contains Zelda and it finds them straight away.
thanks starting to get the hang of it now.