Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-15-2018, 08:15 PM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Dearth of Kobo freebies!?!

Maybe I don't come here often enough, but there seems to be a whole lot fewer free ebooks that are useable on the Kobo than there used to be.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:38 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I can recommend bookbub as a good source of Kobo freebies. Now, whether the freebies themselves are any good is a matter of taste. Some I've really enjoyed, others not so much.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
In pure quantity terms there doesn't seem to be any shortage of free ebooks, on the Kobo site alone I see 1,292,582 free ebooks listed. That doesn't tempt me in the slightest to spend time browsing through them.

One way I do accasionally discover good free or cheap ebooks is to search by publisher/imprint name(*) for a publisher I like, then sort by price low to high. I read mainly SF and so I usually check imprints such as Gollancz, Gateway, Orbit, Tor, Voyager, etc. fairly regularly to see if there are any new discounts.

(*) On the Kobo site, click on the Imprint name at the bottom of the book details page to do this type of search, an ordinary keyword search doesn't work so well for this purpose.

Last edited by GeoffR; 01-16-2018 at 03:42 PM. Reason: (*)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
One way I do accasionally discover good free or cheap ebooks is to search by publisher/imprint name for a publisher I like, then sort by price low to high. I read mainly SF and so I usually check imprints such as Gollancz, Gateway, Orbit, Tor, Voyager, etc. fairly regularly to see if there are any new discounts.
Hah. I'm also a mainly scifi reader and it just never occurred to me to do this. Thanks for the suggestion!
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #5
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Another way to look for Kobo freebies is to sign up for eReaderIQ for your favorite authors, and then if any of their books pop up free or on sale at Kindle (which is where eReader IQ looks) you can also check Kobo. Some of the time they will also be free or on sale for Kobo. Usually for major publishers, about 1/2 the time for Open Road, never (obviously) for Kindle exclusive titles...

eReaderIQ also has a "most popular price drops" section or something like that, but I find many of these tend to be self-pub and not worth it. I've found best luck with a list of authors I follow...
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #6
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all of the good suggestions.

What I was really referring to in the original message was that notices here on MobileRead about free Kobo-compatible ebooks seem to have declined.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:21 PM   #7
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Basically, people who take the time to search for and post freebies on Kobo have stopped doing so. I won't speculate as to the reasons why that is (I can think of numerous possibilities), but that's the root cause.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:08 PM   #8
petercreasey
Wizard

M, yes, that is what I was alluding to but reluctant to articulate.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:40 PM   #9
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
One way I do accasionally discover good free or cheap ebooks is to search by publisher/imprint name(*) for a publisher I like, then sort by price low to high. I read mainly SF and so I usually check imprints such as Gollancz, Gateway, Orbit, Tor, Voyager, etc. fairly regularly to see if there are any new discounts.
It's gotten harder to do that now that Tor and several other imprints have started novella lines with prices typically in the $1.99-$2.99 range.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:36 PM   #10
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I typically post specific freebies/sale titles in the appropriate genre thread, rather than in the Kobo thread. And, if a title is on sale at both Kindle and Kobo US, I try to remember (but not perfect) to post both links...

I post Kobo sales (if they look worthwhile) and (if I ever got/saw any) general Kobo coupons in the Kobo thread. Sadly most Kobo sales are now from a limited list with lots of repeat sale titles and/or minor publishers, and only occasionally do I find a sale with much in it of interest to me. Of course, everyone's MMV on the sales. And general use coupons seem to have gone the way of the dinosaurs, and the few that are available are pretty low value.

I also think it hurts a bit that the Kobo thread is not a sticky, but I did battle on that one and lost a long time ago.

Last edited by sufue; 01-18-2018 at 02:47 PM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote