Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #16
nicos
nicos began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
similar books to "And Then There Were None"

Hi,

There are numerous films which have taken "And Then There Were None" as the blueprint for their plots but not many books. With two exceptions. "A Maze of Death" by Philip K. Dick (a detective sci-fi book) has 14 travellers on the strange planet of DelmarkO who are being killed off one by one by a mysterious presence.
If you type in "And Then There Were None" as your keyword search on Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk it will list similar books.
"The Ex" by Nicholas Sanders (a psychological thriller) is fifth or sixth on this list of results. I guarantee that “The Ex” is the closest novel you’ll find to "And Then There Were None" but is currently only available on the Kindle.

Hope this helps
nicos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #17
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
There was a third movie in the seventies called Ten Little Indians with Richard Attenborough, Herbert Lom, Elke Summer, and Oliver Reed. It took place at an isolated hotel in the Iranian desert.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072263/
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 02:58 AM   #18
nicos
nicos began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Books like And Then There Were None

Hi,

There are numerous films which have taken "And Then There Were None" as the blueprint for their plots but not many books, if any. With two exceptions. "A Maze of Death" by Philip K. Dick (a detective sci-fi book) has 14 travellers on the strange planet of DelmakO who are being killed off one by one by a mysterious presence.
If you type in "And Then There Were None" as your keyword search on Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk it will list similar books.
"The Ex" by Nicholas Sanders (a psychological thriller) is fifth or sixth on this list of results. I guarantee that “The Ex” is the closest novel you’ll find to "And Then There Were None" but is currently only available on the Kindle.

Hope this helps
nicos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:12 AM   #19
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The movie discussion has been moved to a new dedicated thread in the Lounge.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:59 AM   #20
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
For similar novels, try any Christie and maybe Ngaio Marsh books. Death on the Nile is a particular Christie favourite.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #21
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
There's a new novel, An Unwanted Guest by Shari Lapena, that sounds similar to And Then There Were None. I haven't read it yet; I'm on the waiting list at my local library.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:57 PM   #22
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
There's a new novel, An Unwanted Guest by Shari Lapena, that sounds similar to And Then There Were None. I haven't read it yet; I'm on the waiting list at my local library.
I’m 70% through it and yes it’s a good old ‘who done it’ mystery. Bunch of people trapped in an inn and getting murdered. Quite creepy.

Last edited by PurpleStar; 08-28-2018 at 11:19 PM.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:02 AM   #23
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I’m 70% through it and yes it’s a good old ‘who done it’ mystery. Bunch of people trapped in an inn and getting murdered. Quite creepy.
Sounds like fun! This seems like more of a traditional mystery than Shari Lapena's previous books, which I liked fairly well.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:02 AM   #24
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
If you don't mind science fiction, "One Way" by Simon Morden is a mystery about a group of convicts who are coerced into going to Mars to build a base there, and are being killed off one-by-one in the process. Like on Soldier Island, there is nowhere for them to run. The setting is the near future, so the technology is pretty much what we have today. No high-tech MacGuffins to keep the adventure rolling.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:46 AM   #25
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Sounds like fun! This seems like more of a traditional mystery than Shari Lapena's previous books, which I liked fairly well.
Yeah, it's different from her other books, but I like it. May be my favorite of the three. Have to see how it ends.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:43 PM   #26
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An Unwanted Guest looks like it might be very good, but at that price I think I'll read an old Agatha paperback.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:38 AM   #27
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Yeah, it's different from her other books, but I like it. May be my favorite of the three. Have to see how it ends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
An Unwanted Guest looks like it might be very good, but at that price I think I'll read an old Agatha paperback.
Stick to Agatha.

I read An Unwanted Guest, and when I finished I wanted to throw it across the room.

Spoiler:
If an author is going to write what seems like a classic mystery, she needs to follow the rules--i.e., give the reader a fair chance to play detective and solve the mystery. Instead, Lapena offers a huge information dump, suddenly revealing connections and motivations that were never even hinted at previously. Plus, how implausible is it that in a random collection of weekend guests at a small hotel, so many of them have some kind of murder/suspicious death in their past? Yet the only one that matters isn't revealed till the information dump. Grrr.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:31 PM   #28
BookCat
C L J

Catlady: I don't think my Kindle would have survived that ending!
Old 09-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #29
PurpleStar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Catlady: I don't think my Kindle would have survived that ending!
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with the ending as well.