Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #61
telharmonium
telharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle 3
I see. The user store had keyboard.txt, but didn't have folders linkjail and keyboard in them so I created the two folders, and another one called bin inside linkjail.

Then I moved keyboard.txt into keyboard, and created two txt files.

One txt file contained the line cp -f /var/log/messages /mnt/us/
and the other was blank. I renamed the first one emergency.sh and put it in linkjail/bin. I renamed the second one debug and put it in keyboard.

A reboot changed nothing, and no new files appeared in the folders. Does this mean the Kindle was not successfully flashed?
telharmonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #62
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Please don't create anything yet, just follow the original instructions and do unzip the contents of userstore.zip to your Kindle. The zip file contains all you need - the linkjail tree and the keyboard folder with keyboard.txt as well. That should be all you need to make it work after reboot.

For this moment please ignore my post starting
Quote:
OK, let's presume your Kindle is flashed successfully.
That was an instruction on how to get access to important logs. It was written with false assumption that you already copied all contents of userstore.zip to your Kindle.You obviously didn't.

Last edited by dsmid; 11-20-2012 at 06:32 AM.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #63
telharmonium
telharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Copy. No, I didn't. Sorry, I missed that part. I've just copied the files from userstore into the user store and rebooted, but the WADSX keys are still not working. Should I make debug and emergency.sh now?

Actually, I'd already made the folders. I erased them, then put the userstore folders in. Should I just reflash first and reinstall the userstore folders?

Last edited by telharmonium; 11-20-2012 at 06:48 AM. Reason: not enough detail
Old 11-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #64
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No need to reflash yet.
Now you shoud have this content in your Kindle:
Code:
.active-content-data/
audible/
documents/
music/
system/
keyboard/
   +--------- keyboard.txt
linkjail/
   +--------- bin/
   |            +--------- kindletool
   |            +--------- libkh
   |            +--------- linkjail
   |            +--------- unlinkjail
   +--------- etc/
   |            +--------- pubhack.key
   |            +--------- whitelist
   +--------- info.txt
If that's what you see, then let's continue.
  1. Create a new empty file keyboard/debug
  2. Create a new file linkjail/bin/emergency.sh and put this inside (don't press ENTER at the end of line):
    Code:
    cp -f /var/log/messages /mnt/us/
  3. Reboot
  4. Try to use w,a,x,d,s
  5. Now there should appear two new files in your Kindle:
    keyboard/keyboard.log and messages
  6. Copy them from your Kindle to your PC and upload them somewhere.
  7. If you cannot find those two files, then neither jailbreak nor physkeyb is installed (debricking probably didn't do anything or there's something wrong with your user store content)
Old 11-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #65
telharmonium

Copy. Yes, the Kindle had all the folders and contents you listed, but
rebooting and trying the WADSX keys didn't create keyboard/keyboard.log or messages.

Will try reflashing again, (maybe using the Linux method?). I'll post on any developments.

Just a quick question though. After debricking, and I unplug the Kindle I definitely SHOULD be able to reboot by momentarily pressing the power switch, right? There should be no need to press it for 30 seconds?

Thanks again dsmid for your help, but also to the others who respond/ed :-)
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #66
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by telharmonium View Post
Will try reflashing again, (maybe using the Linux method?).
If you are going to use Linux, it should be much easier because you wouldn't need to reflash the whole partition. k3flasher is able to mount the partition for writing and lets you copy in just the file you need to add.
I'll post the instructions if you're interested.
Quote:
Just a quick question though. After debricking, and I unplug the Kindle I definitely SHOULD be able to reboot by momentarily pressing the power switch, right? There should be no need to press it for 30 seconds?
TBH I don't know. I don't have any experience with debricking using ATK.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #67
telharmonium

Sorry, I thought I'd posted a message about how I'd be grateful for any hints on k3flasher and Linux, before I went out of town to places without internet access. Apparently I didn't. Anyway, I'd still be very grateful for such instruction. Am downloading and installing k3flasher now.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #68
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Sorry, I thought I'd posted a message about how I'd be grateful for any hints on k3flasher and Linux, before I went out of town to places without internet access. Apparently I didn't. Anyway, I'd still be very grateful for such instruction. Am downloading and installing k3flasher now.
getting connected: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=188 (It's in the README)

basic one-liner to push stuff (also in the README IIRC) https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=179

laterally: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...98&postcount=1 (using it for "something")

Err... I think that's about it.

Get connected (via info command and timely pressing of Vol - button)

push stuff (choose the right file and shortname for location), wait a while.

disconnect, reboot.

HTH
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #69
telharmonium

Copy that! Thanks!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #70
dsmid
Linux devotee

I've made a script to make the whole task simpler.
  1. Boot Ubuntu 12.10 LiveCD
  2. Click on "Try Ubuntu" button
  3. Make sure the Internet connection is working
  4. Click on the top left icon with "Dash Home" label
  5. Type "Terminal" in the search box
  6. Click on the Terminal icon
  7. Type or paste
    Code:
    wget http://david.smidovi.eu/k3upload
    in the terminal window and press ENTER
  8. Type or paste
    Code:
    bash k3upload
    and press ENTER
  9. Answer <Yes> in the message dialog
  10. Follow the instructions
  11. It should look like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k3upload.png
Views:	419
Size:	388.8 KB
ID:	96954  

Last edited by dsmid; 11-28-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #71
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

now THAT'S service
Old 11-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #72
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
now THAT'S service
I was actually thinking of making a kindle debricking "distro" with suse studio or something... Maybe I'll pull something together.....
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #73
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
I was actually thinking of making a kindle debricking "distro" with suse studio or something... Maybe I'll pull something together.....
Good thoughts!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #74
telharmonium

Copy that. Thanks to dsmid for the step-by-step! Had actually lined up a tutor to walk me through compiling the k3flash code. (New to Linux). Gonna try this first. :-)
Old 12-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #75
telharmonium

!!!! IT WORKED!!!!

By this I mean, yes, I managed to use Ubuntu to access dsmid's script, and connect the Kindle in USB driver mode. Once I ejected, the Kindle wouldn't start with a momentary press of the power button, (same thing happened when I was doing the debricking procedure on WinXP) so I held it down for 30s as usual, to have it reboot itself.

The green light of the switch flashed about twice, then the Kindle rebooted itself. This time however, the Kindle's DWSAX buttons had the capability to move the cursor. PHEW.

Much, MUCH thanks to dsmid. I included the details above in case they're of interest. Again, my thanks to dsmid, and the members of this forum.

telharmonium