Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-17-2018, 11:11 AM   #32536
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
I've had them in the past. A couple of months ago I was thinking about including one in an upcoming remodel. At over $1,000, I decided I'd just use my foot.
Yeah, they are NOT cheap! :-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #32537
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
I'm running low on mula, man, fo' shizzle!
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:42 PM   #32538
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
But for the rest of us, I haven't seen compactors installed in a while. BadGood is right, it does make for a quite-heavy square of trash!
It could be worse. I ran across a story a while back about a pair of brothers having a friendly birthday competition.

There was a pair of jeans they passed back and forth as a birthday gift. The challenge was getting it unwrapped, to pass back to the other brother next time.

They raised the bar each time in how it was packed. The last exchange I heard about, one of the brothers got the jeans, went to a junkyard, bought a car that was going to be scrapped, and laid the jeans on the back seat. He then had the junkyard run the car through the metal compactor which crushed it into a 3' cube, then hired a truck to pick up the cube and drop it on the other brother's lawn with a birthday card attached.

I suppose he could have gotten the cube cut into, but I don't think the jeans would survive the unpacking...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #32539
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
My cousin Shannon is sweet but such a "Basic Becky" and always inviting me to stuff at the last minute, which I mostly have to refuse. Well, she called my mother at 10pm last night and wanted me and mom to join her and her older daughter for Riverdance tonight.

There are several problems with this. The first is that calling my mother at 10pm at night when she was going to sleep made her freak for a second that maybe my aunt had died or something. My aunt is older than my mom and has a number of physical and mental health issues.

Also, Riverdance starts at 7:30. It might be over by 10. I am far from completely well, myself. I recovered from my liver biopsy just fine but I'm also having shoulder issues (frozen shoulder syndrome, couldn't rule out a tear in the rotater cuff, so I'm going to get an MRI). I am tired. On top of that, I have a long day at work today.

All that being said, free tickets to Riverdance are generous and I am going to go, not least because cousin's older daughter is an amazing young woman whose company I enjoy. I just hope I can stay awake and am not too wrecked tomorrow. At least tomorrow is a short day at work to recompense me for today's longer hours.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:27 PM   #32540
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
What? Wait! Your venting and ranting about free tickets to Riverdance?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:01 PM   #32541
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
What? Wait! Your venting and ranting about free tickets to Riverdance?
Heh. Yeah, I know. It's mostly my health issues that have me down. That is kind of late for me with a hurting shoulder.

On the bright side, I got the liver biopsy results back and it's clean.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:17 PM   #32542
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
On the bright side, I got the liver biopsy results back and it's clean.
Now that's something worth celebrating!
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #32543
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Now that's something worth celebrating!
Indeed it is. Thanks, Orlock. I have a congenital thing that can affect the liver enzymes. Now I can focus on this darn shoulder.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:49 AM   #32544
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I have become so tired of the overuse and misuse of the words epic and iconic. Not only have they been rendered meaningless in themselves, they now frequently indicate the contrary. Calling something iconic is a pretty sure indicator that it isn't, but just a garden variety something or other that needs a label to be important.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:06 AM   #32545
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I have become so tired of the overuse and misuse of the words epic and iconic. Not only have they been rendered meaningless in themselves, they now frequently indicate the contrary. Calling something iconic is a pretty sure indicator that it isn't, but just a garden variety something or other that needs a label to be important.
Add to that list awesome and wreak havoc -- which have completely lost their original extreme meanings.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #32546
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Add to that list awesome and wreak havoc -- which have completely lost their original extreme meanings.
"Begs the question," which does NOT mean "makes one ask," FFS.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:16 AM   #32547
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Add ironic, rather than coincidental.

Semantic used as a noun makes me shudder whenever I see it. Not sure I've ever heard it used as a noun.

Yesterday someone (who should know better) referred to the impact of such-and-such on students emotions rather than the affect of - not once but at least six times within a couple minutes; I left the room.

Even worser is impactful!!

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #32548
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
How about Love?

She loves her new shoes... and her children?
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #32549
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
How about Love?

She loves her new shoes... and her children?
I hope she loves her children as well.

*watching Numb3rs*

OMG, I act like a mathematician (who's forgotten pre-algebra)... No wonder why I'm so weird.

Last edited by trichobezoar; 10-20-2018 at 12:04 PM.
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:14 PM   #32550
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Yesterday someone (who should know better) referred to the impact of such-and-such on students emotions rather than the affect of - not once but at least six times within a couple minutes; I left the room.
If you'd use "affect of " instead of "effect of" in that context, perhaps you shouldn't be criticising other people's word choices.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness