Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I wish Amazon would end their feud with Google already. In this instance at least, Amazon is just being jerky.
It has nothing to do with any kind of real feud with Google. Amazon devices are primarily meant to be for the consumption of Amazon content and are sold at relatively low prices with this in mind. They don't want people going to/using the Play store as they want them buying their Movies/TV, Books, Magazines and Apps from Amazon and nowhere else. It's the same reason any book apps, besides library related ones, that are in the app store are marked incompatible with the Fire's by Amazon and why places like Vudu, FandangoNow and Kobo's apps aren't in the app store at all (although years ago Kobo was briefly).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #17
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It has nothing to do with any kind of real feud with Google. Amazon devices are primarily meant to be for the consumption of Amazon content and are sold at relatively low prices with this in mind. They don't want people going to/using the Play store as they want them buying their Movies/TV, Books, Magazines and Apps from Amazon and nowhere else. It's the same reason any book apps, besides library related ones, that are in the app store are marked incompatible with the Fire's by Amazon and why places like Vudu, FandangoNow and Kobo's apps aren't in the app store at all (although years ago Kobo was briefly).
My device: my world.
Isn't Vudu now part of Walmart's world?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
This site and my memory say differently.

Using your logic, why would Amazon allow Netflix, Hulu, Pandora and Spotify to be available?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #19
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This site and my memory say differently.

Using your logic, why would Amazon allow Netflix, Hulu, Pandora and Spotify to be available?
Very old article.

Probably because they pay to be in the APP store.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:58 PM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Because even the least savvy of users expect them to be available and while yes, their subscriptions compete in a way with Prime they don't compete at the level of selling individual TV episodes, Movies, books, magazines or comics. Amazon's current devices exist to sell Amazon content as they've said time and again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
My device: my world.
Isn't Vudu now part of Walmart's world?
Yes.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-07-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Advert
Old 06-07-2017, 09:38 PM   #21
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think Amazon allows Hulu and Netflix because they're huge Amazon customers. Well, I'm not sure about Hulu. I do know that Netflix uses something like 1/3 of internet bandwidth, or internet usage, or whatever the measure is, and they use Amazon Web Services. Amazon sure wants to encourage them. Also I think they were using AWS long before Amazon started offering a competing product.

All this is off the top of my head. I'm not sure of any of it except that Netflix and most other large providers use AWS.

I'm sure part of the reason Amazon doesn't provide Google Play is that they like keeping their devices simple. I think it's true that their appstore is more difficult to use than Google Play but having both on a tablet causes a lot of confusion with respect to which source to use for updates. I had a couple of Android tablets with Amazon's app store as well as Google Play and for that reason I removed Amazon. It just caused a lot of problems.

I do have Google Play on my Fire 7" and I don't recall many problems there but the only Google apps I use are ones that Amazon doesn't provide and Amazon updates it's own apps blindly on the Fire. It doesn't do that on Android tablets. If I downloaded a Google app that I could also get from Android that could be a problem.

Amazon could very easily have prevented our installing Google Play easily but they didn't so it's hard to think they really care much.

By the way, I also think that Amazon totally fails at keeping the Fire simple. But I think it's what they want to do and they try to do. They just don't quite know how. The term that comes to mind when describing the Fire's interface is "user sadistic".

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:19 PM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Very old article.
It's an old article, but it is still true.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:31 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

I answered that badly (I was shutting down my PC to go home for the day). Let me try again.

Quote:
Amazon devices are primarily meant to be for the consumption of Amazon content and are sold at relatively low prices with this in mind. They don't want people going to/using the Play store as they want them buying their Movies/TV, Books, Magazines and Apps from Amazon and nowhere else. It's the same reason any book apps, besides library related ones, that are in the app store are marked incompatible with the Fire's by Amazon and why places like Vudu, FandangoNow and Kobo's apps aren't in the app store at all (although years ago Kobo was briefly).
No argument there.

I'm not saying Amazon needed to have the Play Store on their tablets. Apple doesn't have the Play Store, but you can still download Google apps.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with any kind of real feud with Google.
That I disagree with.

Google and Amazon have been feuding for years. Since Amazon tried to add a back door app store to Android.

That's why I was pointing out that on Fire OS you can download Netflix, Hulu, Pandora and Spotify, which more closely compete with Amazon. But there's no YouTube app. Surely the least tech savvy person is more likely to know YouTube than Spotify?

Similarly, Amazon offers an Amazon Prime Video app on iOS, but not on Android.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:06 PM   #24
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
I answered that badly (I was shutting down my PC to go home for the day). Let me try again.

No argument there.

I'm not saying Amazon needed to have the Play Store on their tablets. Apple doesn't have the Play Store, but you can still download Google apps.

That I disagree with.

Google and Amazon have been feuding for years. Since Amazon tried to add a back door app store to Android.

That's why I was pointing out that on Fire OS you can download Netflix, Hulu, Pandora and Spotify, which more closely compete with Amazon. But there's no YouTube app. Surely the least tech savvy person is more likely to know YouTube than Spotify?

All those are subscription services so a bit different.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:54 PM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
More closely compete? In some ways I suppose, but none of those places sell or rent Movies, TV, Books, Magazines, Comics or Music AFAIK (maybe Hulu does now?), just offer a specific streaming catalog. While part of Prime is the streaming stuff and they compete with that aspect they don't compete with Prime's "whole package". Amazon absolutely wants those streaming customers, but they really hope that some of those customers will grow further into their ecosystem by also purchasing content that can't be had through all-you-can-eat streaming.

More likely to know YouTube? I'd say you're right, but Youtube also directly competes by selling and renting movies just like Amazon, Vudu, Google Play, etc. Of course last I checked YouTube works just fine in Silk.

Quote:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tyclient&hl=en

It can also be downloaded and sideloaded directly from Amazon. A bit of hoop jumping I know.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-08-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:29 AM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
More closely compete? In some ways I suppose, but none of those places sell or rent Movies, TV, Books, Magazines, Comics or Music AFAIK (maybe Hulu does now?), just offer a specific streaming catalog. While part of Prime is the streaming stuff and they compete with that aspect they don't compete with Prime's "whole package". Amazon absolutely wants those streaming customers, but they really hope that some of those customers will grow further into their ecosystem by also purchasing content that can't be had through all-you-can-eat streaming.
It feels like you're splitting hairs to make a case that I don't think stands.

Quote:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tyclient&hl=en

It can also be downloaded and sideloaded directly from Amazon. A bit of hoop jumping I know.
Yes, I saw that link too. I'd guess you are seeing it from a Windows PC, like I did. Since I'm signed in to my Google account, it also says "This app is incompatible with all of your devices." which means if you search to install it from any Android device, it won't appear. In other words, it doesn't exist/was pulled.

Sideloading might work. But again, the point is in practical terms there is no Amazon Prime Video for Android, though there is for iOS. And there's no YouTube app for anything running Fire OS. Not to mention no Google Keep, Google Calendar, Google anything.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 06-08-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #27
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
It feels like you're splitting hairs to make a case that I don't think stands.

Yes, I saw that link too. I'd guess you are seeing it from a Windows PC, like I did. Since I'm signed in to my Google account, it also says "This app is incompatible with all of your devices." which means if you search to install it from any Android device, it won't appear. In other words, it doesn't exist/was pulled.

Sideloading might work. But again, the point is in practical terms there is no Amazon Prime Video for Android, though there is for iOS. And there's no YouTube app for anything running Fire OS. Not to mention no Google Keep, Google Calendar, Google anything.
I just looked Amazon shopping isn't compatible but Amazon for tablets is.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:25 AM   #28
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I think it's not a secret here. But I'd bet the average Joe picking up a Fire tablet couldn't tell you whether it comes with the Play store or not. They don't care, until they need something from it.

I wish Amazon would end their feud with Google already. In this instance at least, Amazon is just being jerky.
I'm not at all certain that the average consumer can even tell whether it is running Android, FireOS, iOS, or something else. The likely have little understanding of OSes. I don't think they care as long as the price is right and they can accomplish what they want with it.

My Fire HD 6 had a lot of issues running the Play Store. Granted I'm not an Android person and there are multiple sets of instructions for installing it on a FireOS tablet, so perhaps I used a faulty set of steps. At any rate, it is a moot point as I sold it, well basically gave it away.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #29
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm not at all certain that the average consumer can even tell whether it is running Android, FireOS, iOS, or something else. The likely have little understanding of OSes. I don't think they care as long as the price is right and they can accomplish what they want with it.

My Fire HD 6 had a lot of issues running the Play Store. Granted I'm not an Android person and there are multiple sets of instructions for installing it on a FireOS tablet, so perhaps I used a faulty set of steps. At any rate, it is a moot point as I sold it, well basically gave it away.
Too many ads, so yes the average person knows an Apple from an Android from a Windows. They may not know those are OS but they know what they like.
Now, like you they may not know there are different Android systems like the Galaxy and the Fire.
By the same token, I think most users would just use the default app store.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #30
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Too many ads, so yes the average person knows an Apple from an Android from a Windows. They may not know those are OS but they know what they like.
Now, like you they may not know there are different Android systems like the Galaxy and the Fire.
By the same token, I think most users would just use the default app store.
I think you over estimate Ma and Pa kettle. They likely use whatever their kids or grandkids use or set up for them. In these types of forums people tend to be more tech savvy, but when I talk to friends, relatives, and strangers who are not tech savvy they seem rather clueless about the different types of OSes etc., and they tend to stick with whatever they started out with. YMMV of course, but that is what I see a lot out in concrete jungle.

ETA: I suspect the younger generations know all about the tech stuff, but my generation of Baby Boomers is a different story. And yes, we Boomers are still around in large numbers. Ma and Pa Kettle got real busy after WWII was over! Heck most of my classmates from HS still did not have a clue about email when we had our 20 year reunion back in 1996. Yep I'm old. But of course with Generation X and younger, it is a different story as they were more apt to grow up with computers.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-08-2017 at 12:54 PM.