Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-02-2017, 01:33 PM   #1
2manymovies
2manymovies began at the beginning.

Device: None
Question Epub validator errors / ePub 3

From what I've seen as I've browsed through here, the IDPF validator is considered pretty laughable (at best). However, I do want to get my epub 3 to pass this check (I believe it's version 4.something). These are probably the most troublesome things:

1) When I get the last problem resolved and run the validator one more time to be sure, I get a whole new batch of errors. As in, completely different from the first set.
2) The line/column indicators are sometimes way off. It will say it's an OEBP error, for example, then reference a line that's a couple of chapters into the story (yep, fiction novel).

I'm hoping someone with more epub experience than I have can tell me if these errors are normal? Is there a way to overcome them? Someone I should tell about them so they can be fixed?

Thanks in advance...
2manymovies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #2
2manymovies

An example of the lines being completely off:
ERROR OEBPS/Text/Section0001.xhtml 152 22 Error while parsing file 'attribute "name" not allowed here; expected attribute "about", "accesskey", "aria-activedescendant", "aria-atomic", "aria-autocomplete", "aria-busy", "aria-checked", "aria-controls", "aria-describedat", "aria-describedby", "aria-disabled", "aria-dropeffect", "aria-expanded", "aria-flowto", "aria-grabbed", "aria-haspopup", "aria-hidden", "aria-invalid", "aria-label", "aria-labelledby", "aria-level", "aria-live", "aria-multiline", "aria-multiselectable", "aria-orientation", "aria-owns", "aria-posinset", "aria-pressed", "aria-readonly", "aria-relevant", "aria-required", "aria-selected", "aria-setsize", "aria-sort", "aria-valuemax", "aria-valuemin", "aria-valuenow", "aria-valuetext", "class", "content", "contenteditable", "contextmenu", "datatype", "dir", "draggable", "dropzone", "epub:type", "hidden", "href", "hreflang", "id", "inlist", "itemid", "itemprop", "itemref", "itemscope", "itemtype", "lang", "media", "ns:alphabet", "nsh", "onabort", "onblur", "oncanplay", "oncanplaythrough", "onchange", "onclick", "oncontextmenu", "ondblclick", "ondrag", "ondragend", "ondragenter", "ondragleave", "ondragover", "ondragstart", "ondrop", "ondurationchange", "onemptied", "onended", "onerror", "onfocus", "oninput", "oninvalid", "onkeydown", "onkeypress", "onkeyup", "onload", "onloadeddata", "onloadedmetadata", "onloadstart", "onmousedown", "onmousemove", "onmouseout", "onmouseover", "onmouseup", "onmousewheel", "onpause", "onplay", "onplaying", "onprogress", "onratechange", "onreadystatechange", "onreset", "onscroll", "onseeked", "onseeking", "onselect", "onshow", "onstalled", "onsubmit", "onsuspend", "ontimeupdate", "onvolumechange", "onwaiting", "prefix", "property", "rel", "resource", "rev", "role", "spellcheck", "style", "tabindex", "target", "title", "type", "typeof", "vocab", "xml:base", "xml:lang" or "xml:space" (with xmlns:ns="http://www.w3.org/2001/10/synthesis")'.

Line 152 in the actual epub (open in Sigil) = to the docks, where Captain Constance Kimberlite was directing the refitting of every available cloud chaser. </p>
Advert
Old 05-02-2017, 03:35 PM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manymovies View Post
From what I've seen as I've browsed through here, the IDPF validator is considered pretty laughable (at best).
If you install my epubcheck plugin for Sigil or Calibre, you can click on an error message to move the cursor to the line that the error message refers to.
The Sigil version will also try to move the cursor to the column position reported by epubcheck. However, the column position that epubcheck reports often points to the closing tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manymovies View Post
An example of the lines being completely off:
ERROR OEBPS/Text/Section0001.xhtml 152 22 Error while parsing file 'attribute "name" not allowed here
name attributes are usually not allowed in epub3 books, globally replacing all name attributes with id attributes should take care of this type of error message.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:24 AM   #4
2manymovies

Hey, great! Thanks
Old 05-04-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
skreutzer
Software Developer
skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
I can't imagine that the validator could be laughable in any way. Regarding your problem: it sounds like you're not too familiar with the way validators, parsers, compilers, interpreters work. You should always and _only_ focus on the first error, because it's very likely that all subsequent errors are caused by the first. As soon as the first one goes away, the subsequent errors might as well, but then you'll hit the second "real" error with its own subsequent errors. That's how those tools work. It doesn't make sense to consider damages of an airplane in mid-air, they're supposed to be fixed before the start. Depending on the internal workings of the validator, it could be that the first error confuses the line numbers in subsequent errors, but at least the line numbers for the first error should be correct. Please keep in mind that the validator might complain at the end of an corrupt XHTML (or other) statement, not at the beginning, because sometimes parsers continue reading for technical reasons or in the hope to find a solution later, but don't keep track where a suspicious statement started because in most cases it turns out to be OK. If you think it's an error in epubcheck, we could investigate further and should fix it, so all epubcheck users benefit from the fix.
skreutzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #6
2manymovies

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreutzer View Post
I can't imagine that the validator could be laughable in any way. Regarding your problem: it sounds like you're not too familiar with the way validators, parsers, compilers, interpreters work.
Sorry, that's just the feeling I got from looking through other posts.
You're right about one thing, though--this was my first ever encounter with an epub validator.

And even after I (personally) got an error-free return on the epub3 file, my distributor got a warning when they ran it. So. I'm just telling that bit like it happened.

Cheers!
Old 05-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #7
skreutzer
Software Developer
skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
Warnings can be reported for a lot of reasons. Sometimes they point out that, while valid in a technical sense, the result won't be optimal, or the validator can't determine if a construct was used intentional or in error, and stuff like that. Futhermore, it depends of the version of the validator and if warnings are on or off, and it makes sense if a distributor has its own checking procedure, which doesn't focus on technical validity, but on checking if the content is complete, plausible and fits their requirements.
skreutzer is offline   Reply With Quote