Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-04-2016, 06:14 AM   #1
jobsagoodun
jobsagoodun began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Calibre ebook-viewer support for NVDA / text-to-speech & assistive software

Hi,

Apologies if this has already been discussed (I couldn't find anything immediately obviously following a quick search), but I'm trying to confirm if there are any plans to add support for text-to-speech readers (e.g. NVDA, JAWS, Dolphin Supernova) on Windows for the ebook-viewer application within Calibre.

I know that the main Calibre application was updated last year, and I can now use that succesfully with NVDA and hear the names of the ebooks in my library etc read aloud.

However when I open an ebook (in EPUB format, not tried other formats), the ebook-viewer doesn't seem to support any kind of integration for the text in the body of the book.

At the moment I am resorting to using EPUB Reader extension in Firefox for this functionality, but would prefer to use the Calibre ebook-viewer if possible!

Any information would be very appreciated
jobsagoodun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:21 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=272674
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2016, 02:04 PM   #3
jobsagoodun
jobsagoodun began at the beginning.

Thanks Kovid, I'll take a look at the plugin suggested. That particular plugin seems to be a TTS engine in itself though - are there any plans to make the ebook-viewer natively support the hooks required for other standalone TTS software (such as NVDA & Dolphin Supernova) to read the content in the ebook being read?

Many thanks for your work on developing Calibre by the way - it's a fantastic application!
jobsagoodun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jobsagoodun - the Text to Speech plugin uses Microsoft's Speech API (SAPI), which has been around since Win95. TTS is a generic name for a capability not a specific technology, so SAPI is MS's implementation of TTS.

A number of people have integrated Balabolka into calibre via the 'Open With' feature (built in or plugin). If you search the Calibre forum for 'Balabolka' you should find some posts. I use the built-in 'Open With' which I access via the View Specific format option (the kb shortcuts are assigned via Preferences->Keyboard):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	147701

Maybe you could integrate one or more of the TTS programs you mentioned in a similar way. Of course, you must attach the programs to formats they can 'read'

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:48 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I have no plans to do that -- the viewer uses a library called Qt WebKit, so whether it works with external TTS software is upto that library. That said, the calibre content server will soon have an in-browser ebook viewer, so assuming your favorite browser works with your tts software, you could just use that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
accessibility, assistive, ebook-viewer, nvda