Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #1
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Notre Dame de Paris

I have not visited Paris or her iconic cathedral, but I have been to the Cathedral of Saint Mary in Seville Spain. The beauty and wonders of art I saw there, I'm told are dwarfed by those at Notre Dame. What a horrible loss to the French and the world.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:45 PM   #2
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Daniel DiNardo
The horrific fire that is engulfing the Cathedral of Notre-Dame de Paris is shocking and saddens us all, for this particular cathedral is not only a majestic Church, it is also a world treasure. Noble in architecture and art, it has long been a symbol of the transcendent human spirit as well as our longing for God. Our hearts go out to the Archbishop and the people of Paris, and we pray for all the people of France, entrusting all to the prayers and intercession of the Mother of God, especially the firefighters battling the fire. We are a people of hope and of the resurrection, and as devastating as this fire is, I know that the faith and love embodied by this magnificent Cathedral will grow stronger in the hearts of all Christians.
Advert
Old 04-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
I was actually planning to go to Paris next week. Looks like that's one monument I'm fated not to see.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #4
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I'm torn between two thoughts on the fire.

One is that a majestic architectural and archeological building has been significantly damaged, nearly destroyed. The cathedral was over eight centuries old and the fact that humans in the period could even build it it was amazing given their level of technology at the time. I suspect the intense heat has weakened the stone walls considerably, and I would not be surprised if they have to tear down at least some of the walls.

On the other hand it was a monument built to one up other cities who were building their own "our town's bleep is bigger than yours" monument. It wasn't as much about any god as about pride of one city upping the other cities. It took an estimated 13,000 trees to build the timber sections, and each of those trees was probably 300 to 400 years old. It demanded ridiculous resources in a time when peasants barely subsisted and had rather short life spans. Rather than a church taking care of her flock, they were spending money on monuments. That is sad. To rebuild the cathedral will require a huge tax burden on the people of France, likely far more than the renovators will estimate. Perhaps they should just salvage what they can, and demolish the rest, and maybe build a nice museum where the demolished parts once stood. I would not approve of using that much timber when old growth trees are in such decline, and rebuilding with metal just wouldn't be the same. and here is a news flash, building with stone the way the 12th and 13th century craftsmen did, well that is a lost art.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
here is a news flash, building with stone the way the 12th and 13th century craftsmen did, well that is a lost art.
Not so.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #6
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Well I respectfully disagree. The methods and craftsmanship used by masons centuries ago has been supplanted by modern methods. After a long period of time, you lose that craftsmanship since it is no longer being practiced. We might know and understand how the stone masons did their work 850 years ago, but that is a far cry from being highly experienced in those long gone methods. In the end, experience is much more valuable than knowledge when it comes to construction. Need I remind you that attempts to shore up some of the cathedral walls with flying buttresses did not go well as later builders struggled to get that correct in many cases. And the fact that flying buttresses had to be used later is a statement about the instability of the original structures and how they were constructed. We can certainly build a cathedral today out of concrete and steel and an ornamental layer of rock on the outside, but that is not true to the way in which the cathedral was originally erected.

So if they rebuild, do they stay true to the original structure? Is that eco-friendly? Not by a long shot. Do they substitute modern materials and methods such as concrete and steel, and thus build a stable, strong structure and hopefully more fire resistant? If so do they try to include familiar structural features like the later added flying buttresses, or do they leave those off since hopefully they will have a stable structure without them. The cathedral will look different without the flying buttresses, but they were not original. These and other questions will likely take years to answer as I'm sure there will be a lot of differences in opinions.

Last edited by OtinG; 04-16-2019 at 11:18 AM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #7
wodin
Illiterate

And don't forget modern building codes. The only reason that most (all?) ancient buildings aren't condemned and demolished is that the historians would have a hissy fit.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate

Click image for larger version

Name:	Quasimoto.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	170734
Old 04-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Notre-Dame will reign magnificent again, say Windsor Castle restorers

Quote:
France would have an easier time than Britain finding the skilled craftsmen for the job, because it could draw on the Compagnons du Tour, made up of thousands of highly skilled craftsmen in traditional construction.
Quote:
“... there’s plenty of oak available, including sessile oak which is long, straight-stemmed oak trees that they will need for these sort of projects,” he said. “In northern Europe we plant more oak than we use.”
I doubt it can be done in 5 years though.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:32 PM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
According to some news sites, there have been several Catholic Churches desecrated in France since the beginning of the year.

https://www.newsweek.com/spate-attac...statue-1370800

My husband said someone on a news show brought that up, and the interview said they weren't going to "go there." I don't know if he saw this himself, or saw a reference to it online.

You would think it would be news-worthy.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:55 AM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I was just saying the other night that while the fire no doubt caused substantial damage to the Cathedral that I doubted that it was the only damage to the structure. I mean exposure to the elements and just the passing of time itself has no doubt caused a good deal of damage to it. Some of the original structure wouldn't need to be built if it were originally being built today and I wonder if they will be able to reconstruct that. I mean they had gargoyles for directing rain water and no doubt built in channels for directing boiling oil and other such defensive measures that aren't needed today. France 900 yrs ago wasn't just building churches to add to the prestige of a given city, but often times it was at war with itself or England and so such weren't just for making a city's reputation look better but they were also used to defend the citizens. If someone laid siege to your city you took shelter in the strongest built structure in the area.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:36 AM   #12
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
I think this thread should be moved to the Politics and Religion forum, as this path of conversation seems rather inevitable.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:48 AM   #13
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
I think this thread should be moved to the Politics and Religion forum, as this path of conversation seems rather inevitable.
This is a World Heritage Site. Surely not.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:04 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Well I respectfully disagree. The methods and craftsmanship used by masons centuries ago has been supplanted by modern methods. After a long period of time, you lose that craftsmanship since it is no longer being practiced. We might know and understand how the stone masons did their work 850 years ago, but that is a far cry from being highly experienced in those long gone methods
This is just plain wrong, Otin. All the great mediaeval cathedrals of Europe have permanent teams of stonemasons who maintain and repair the structure of the building. Their craftsmanship has been handed down in an unbroken line from one generation to another over the centuries. This skill was well illustrated by the repairs made to York Minster (one of the finest cathedrals in England) when a devastating fire destroyed a large part of the roof when it was struck by lightning in 1984. The skills required to repair and rebuild mediaeval buildings are alive and well.

Some pictures from the York Fire:

Name:	_75966857_yorkminsbbc.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	170750

Name:	firemen-survey-the-fire-damage-to-the-south-transept-of-york-minster-after-the-fire-136399125228.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	170749

Visit York Minster today and you wouldn't know there'd been a fire.

Last edited by HarryT; 04-17-2019 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Typo
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:41 PM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is just plain wrong, Otin. All the great mediaeval cathedrals of Europe have permanent teams of stonemasons who maintain and repair the structure of the building. Their craftsmanship has been handed down in an unbroken line from one generation to another over the centuries. This skill was well illustrated by the repairs made to York Minster (one of the finest cathedrals in England) when a devastating fire destroyed a large part of the roof when it was struck by lightning in 1984. The skills required to repair and rebuild mediaeval buildings are alive and well.

Some pictures from the York Fire:

Attachment 170750

Attachment 170749

Visit York Minster today and you wouldn't know there'd been a fire.
I hadn't known that. Very interesting. As I recall Westmister palace (I think) had been subjected to a fire as well and probably required some restoration as a result as well. I can't recall what started the fire but I remember hearing about it on the news at the time.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote