Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-12-2019, 06:21 PM   #1
LotsToRead
LotsToRead began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Unhappy New Kobo Forma(s), paging and update issues

I have a brand new Forma, in fact, the second new one I've gotten.
Both have the same issues.
1) When in 'standard' page tabbing setup, tabbing enabled on left and right of screen, and holding the Forma with page buttons on right side, all is well, left side touch pages back and right side touch pages forward.
But when rotated 90 so buttons on bottom, touching left side no longer works. (upon examination, it looks to me like the page addressing is wrong when rotated. you can find an area, offset ~25% from left edge, that does work)
2) Kobo support suggests 'syncing'. Tried manually sync, as well as the 'auto sync'. Looks like sync occurs (see updating messages, check mark in sysc icon appears, etc), but the version remains the older one, 4.12.12111, never shows the new one of 4.13.12638.
3) Tried 'factory reset'. Says updating, but remains old version.

Anyone else having any of these issues? Any suggestions?
LotsToRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:46 AM   #2
BilboBaggins
BilboBaggins began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Aura One, Kindle Oasis 9th generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotsToRead View Post
I have a brand new Forma, in fact, the second new one I've gotten.
Both have the same issues.
1) When in 'standard' page tabbing setup, tabbing enabled on left and right of screen, and holding the Forma with page buttons on right side, all is well, left side touch pages back and right side touch pages forward.
But when rotated 90 so buttons on bottom, touching left side no longer works. (upon examination, it looks to me like the page addressing is wrong when rotated. you can find an area, offset ~25% from left edge, that does work)
2) Kobo support suggests 'syncing'. Tried manually sync, as well as the 'auto sync'. Looks like sync occurs (see updating messages, check mark in sysc icon appears, etc), but the version remains the older one, 4.12.12111, never shows the new one of 4.13.12638.
3) Tried 'factory reset'. Says updating, but remains old version.

Anyone else having any of these issues? Any suggestions?
Is it a branded Kobo or not?
I mean, at power on, do you see an image of a Kobo partner or not?
Maybe you got your Forma from a reseller, and Kobo did not yet distribute the update to this reseller.
Try modifying the affiliate.conf file in the .kobo folder of your Forma, then restart your reader and try to sync again.
BilboBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #3
jkrzok
Connoisseur
jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD, Aura One, Voyage, Oasis 1 & 2, Many others getting dusty.
You can also download the firmware from here.

Extract the files and folder inside the update zip file to the .kobo folder on your Forma and safely disconnect your Forma. The Forma should then update automatically.

I too saw issues with the touch areas on my Forma when held sideways, most notably on the toolbars. It went away for no discernible reason. Perhaps it was a firmware update but I honestly don't know.
jkrzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:51 PM   #4
PhyrePhox
Enthusiast
PhyrePhox began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2
On the new Kobo firmware thread there were some specific mentions of Forma issues with rotation going away. My Forma is being exchanged-the backlight issue-so I haven't tried it yet, but I usually keep the rotation locked because of the issues.
PhyrePhox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #5
LotsToRead
LotsToRead began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thanks for all the reply's. I finally gave up and returned the Forma. Will purchase a different device.
LotsToRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert