Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #1
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wiki Nitpick

To much of the world a date written as '3/8/2019' refers to the '3rd of August 2019', I suggest using 'Mar 8 2019' to remove ambiguity, or 'Aug 3 2019' if that's what you mean.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:32 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Of course I don't mean August. As you well know, this is a very recent event. Happening right now, in fact. I have no problem deciphering the rest of the world's date format when it differs from my own. I trust the rest of the world is equally capable of deciphering mine. Especially if they're in the habit of visiting the Github Wiki of an open-source software project that has an international user-base.

Just remember ... you're the one who labeled it a "nitpick"

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-13-2019 at 06:41 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2019, 05:44 PM   #3
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good point though. Whenever I see a numbers-only date format, I have to decide whether it uses the (logical) small - bigger - biggest convention or the (illogical, American) bigger - small - biggest one. And context doesn't always help.

Similar confusions (think Imperial/Metric) have killed people.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:45 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I sleep comfortably in the knowledge that Sigil's Wiki has been optimized to cause the very least amount of accidental loss of life as possible.

In all seriousness, though, folks ... the dates themselves are the very least important portions of the notices. Even if the dates get interpreted incorrectly, the instructions and the messages stay exactly the same.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-13-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:35 PM   #5
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, you're determined to stick with the ambiguous date format. Noted.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2019, 07:54 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm determined to not worry about inane minutiae.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:49 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
No hope of considering 2019-03-13 as the date format? Or even 2019-Mar-13 just to ensure no ambiguity.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:12 AM   #8
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm determined to not worry about inane minutiae.
Most of the time it's clear from context. Sometimes though it isn't, and you may not realise a message is six months old (3-9 is March or September?) and superseded.
Same as when Americans use Fahrenheit for temperatures. 25 degrees is cold? A nice day at the beach here.
Also, you drive on the wrong side of the road.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:26 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Tired of this. The date is so irrelevant to the message that I'm just going to delete them entirely. How important can the ambiguity of the date format be if I can safely do that? Well the answer is, of course, not important at all. Not even a tiny bit. Thank you all for this utterly pointless exercise. It's been so much fun, and such a great use of my unlimited time for working on Sigil and generally supporting its user-base.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-14-2019 at 10:06 AM.