Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
User Manual Download Link

For those of you who would like to see the user manual, you can find it here.

I, for one, love reading manuals on new devices.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Interesting read, thanks for the heads-up Adam.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
A couple of reflections after reading that...

1) You will not be able to read anything without an SD card in the reader, i.e. no internal storage for documents? Silly wabbits.

2) No where in the documentation does it say which max size SD card you can use.

Apart from that, it's folder system looks pretty impressive. But still, not being able to store any doc internally still irks me, especially since that will drain battery faster if it has too access the SD card all the time.

Last edited by Slite; 10-06-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
Morffius
Enthusiast
Morffius began at the beginning.

Device: IPhone / Paper
Also what was interesting was that they strongly recommend using their software to transfer files to the device as opposed to just using Finder or Explorer to put them on the SD card. Odd.

"By using the application, you will ensure that your files stay intact and are not at risk of being damaged or losing information."
Morffius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
It looks all very nice. A lot of features which I missed on iLiad.

Now we need the devices!
Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morffius View Post
Also what was interesting was that they strongly recommend using their software to transfer files to the device as opposed to just using Finder or Explorer to put them on the SD card. Odd.
They also said (about the companion software):
Quote:
Note: copying a folder to the device is not allowed because the database information the device needs cannot be created.
The manual seems to be implying that connection to a Windows PC and using the companion software is the only fully functional way to use the device. It does not include anything about how to use a DR1000S from a Mac or Linux.

On the other hand the FAQ says:
Quote:
Q: Is there support for Linux and Mac and how will it work with these operating systems?
A: The device will be recognized as a mass storage device but the pre-installed Windows application from the SD-card will not be functional.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
A couple of reflections after reading that...

1) You will not be able to read anything without an SD card in the reader, i.e. no internal storage for documents? Silly wabbits.

2) No where in the documentation does it say which max size SD card you can use.

Apart from that, it's folder system looks pretty impressive. But still, not being able to store any doc internally still irks me, especially since that will drain battery faster if it has too access the SD card all the time.
Some of the decisions do seem a little odd like forcing all content to the SD card, but if you think about it in the terms of a business device it makes more sense. With all content and settings on the card it becomes a piece of cake to swap out devices.....just move the card to another device and you're ready to go. It definitely seems to show their business focus with this device.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From page 56:
Quote:
Using Hyperlinks
Many documents these days have hyperlinks that let you open new documents or jump to other places in the same document. You can tap with the stylus on a hyperlink to follow it, or select and open it using the sensors.
This suggests that it will be possible to create your own catalog of (hyperlinks to) documents on the device, ordered however you want, and use it in place of file navigation. The catalog can be PDF, MOBI , or HTML.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Nice to see the "Page Thumbnail" view in the document reader. Now, if only we could get that document reader on the iLiad....
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:01 AM   #10
Gogolo
Addict

After reading it again, what I miss: Where is the 'last read' list????

I always was stressed by the only 6 items in last read with iLiad - and now it has gone completely????

Gogolo
Old 10-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
After reading it again, what I miss: Where is the 'last read' list?
It seems to have been replaced by (p 23):
Quote:
‘Task Manager’ in the Menu
In the menu, just above the ‘General’ group, is another group that always appears: ‘Task Manager’. The Task Manager group shows the files and applications that are currently open and running on the device and a quick link (the icon on the left) back to the last folder that was open.

Once the Task Manager row in the menu is full, the least used task will be saved, closed, and removed from the list when you open a new task. You can also close a task yourself by opening it and selecting Menu>Close.
This presumably does not persist through a shut down.

I agree that a "Recent Tasks" list would be useful, and could easily be added by iRex as a cyclic list based on the Task Manager (the difference being that closing a task does not delete it from the Recent Tasks list).
Old 10-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #12
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Never mind - eReader Outfitters have posted that the iRex DR1000S are en route.

Last edited by cjp; 10-07-2008 at 01:37 PM. Reason: updated shipment information
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #13
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
It seems that iRex has shipped first batch to the eReader Outfitters

"10/5/08- The first batch or DR1000s is en route from Europe to eReader Outfitters. We will ship on Tuesday. "

I'm not sure about Tuesday though, unless he got them on Monday, he is probably talking about 10/14.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #14
Gogolo
Addict

Meanwhile I'm sure they had to fix something. That would not be bad, if they would tell it frankly.

A 'Recent read' list is absolutely necessary IMHO. I'd be glad to see the last 30 Docs I've read.

If this device and Plattform is designed like iRex says (offers a lot of possibilities for future upgrades) its really really cool. It offers all I need...

Gogolo
Old 10-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #15
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
It seems that iRex has shipped first batch to the eReader Outfitters

"10/5/08- The first batch or DR1000s is en route from Europe to eReader Outfitters. We will ship on Tuesday. "

I'm not sure about Tuesday though, unless he got them on Monday, he is probably talking about 10/14.
Bummer - you make a good point here. I just 'assumed' that Tuesday meant today (10/8). I'll being checking often...
CJP
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote