Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-03-2019, 10:04 PM   #856
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
Nothing seems to catch my eye this time. I did read " Ready Player One" and enjoyed it years ago. For those of you who are reading " One Word Kill " would you say it's similar to " Ready Player One ? "
Similiar how? There is some books similar to Ready Player One in the sense of "addicted to virtual reality saving the world," but that does not seem to apply. The sample covers part of the first chapter. It cuts off just before it gets interesting. Or rather, more interesting. By then you should know if the writing style caught you. It is something about how it is written that I cannot put in words. By the end of chapter two the hook set in chapter one is sunk in completely and you will be along for the ride out of Kansas.

If the sample doesn't do it for you, the book might not be it. Very nice that First Reads allow to "Look Inside" if you use the desktop version of Amazon. I should have done that to not continue on.

Since nothing caught your eye, there really isn't any risk to try the sample. Other than maybe you cannot put it down.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:24 AM   #857
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Similiar how? There is some books similar to Ready Player One in the sense of "addicted to virtual reality saving the world," but that does not seem to apply. The sample covers part of the first chapter. It cuts off just before it gets interesting. Or rather, more interesting. By then you should know if the writing style caught you. It is something about how it is written that I cannot put in words. By the end of chapter two the hook set in chapter one is sunk in completely and you will be along for the ride out of Kansas.

If the sample doesn't do it for you, the book might not be it. Very nice that First Reads allow to "Look Inside" if you use the desktop version of Amazon. I should have done that to not continue on.

Since nothing caught your eye, there really isn't any risk to try the sample. Other than maybe you cannot put it down.
Thanks for the explaining that. I did read the sample and it seemed to have the teens facing real life difficult situations, and good at assessing the scope of the situation regardless of what the adults told them, realities can be altered...... If that makes sense ? I do think this book would be more intense than "Ready Player One " like beating the odds of mortality instead of just winning the game against all odds. I read some reviews and do like the Time Travel aspect as well. I'll try lt !

Last edited by Wearever; 04-05-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #858
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I really enjoyed One Word Kill. It reminded me a little bit of Stranger Things, but without the monster aspect.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:39 PM   #859
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
I really enjoyed One Word Kill. It reminded me a little bit of Stranger Things, but without the monster aspect.
No monsters?
Spoiler:

The monsters were mere humans. Expelled school kid. You know who.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:27 AM   #860
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good point. There IS a monster. A scary one too.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Advert
Old 04-08-2019, 09:21 AM   #861
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I don't think that a comparison to other pop culture successes is a promising way to start a synopsis, for any genre or medium, and I skipped over One Word Kill for that reason.

Since I tend to lean toward contemporary or general fiction when I'm not immediately attracted a particular title, I went with The Overdue Life of Amy Byler.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:50 PM   #862
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I agree I'm not really up to date as far as pop culture goes. However I'm enjoying this book. The author has written an intelligent engaging story, he didn't need the pop culture references. It did throw me off at first until I asked other readers what they thought. Dungeons & Dragons do feature in the story, and I've never played that game. It's just something the kids get together with. I'm also glad it's a first book in the series since I can add it to my sci fi reading challenge this month too.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:24 PM   #863
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I don't think that a comparison to other pop culture successes is a promising way to start a synopsis, for any genre or medium, and I skipped over One Word Kill for that reason.
If you're doing that solely based on the synopsis on Amazon's site, and not the sample of the book, that's highly unfair to the author. Unless the book is self-published, the author does not write the synopsis. It's entirely out of their hands and is done by the publisher. Here that means Amazon wrote the synopsis, quite possibly it was done by Jack Butler, their editor who provided additional comments on the book, which are also on the store page. Publishers like to make comparisons to other successful books because it helps sales.

I went with One Word Kill myself, because I like science fiction and it sounds somewhat interesting to me.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #864
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
If you're doing that solely based on the synopsis on Amazon's site, and not the sample of the book, that's highly unfair to the author. Unless the book is self-published, the author does not write the synopsis. It's entirely out of their hands and is done by the publisher. Here that means Amazon wrote the synopsis, quite possibly it was done by Jack Butler, their editor who provided additional comments on the book, which are also on the store page. Publishers like to make comparisons to other successful books because it helps sales.

I went with One Word Kill myself, because I like science fiction and it sounds somewhat interesting to me.
That's fair, but with six book choices, I need some criteria to narrow down my choices and I try to not use genre for the first cut.

I apologize if my original post sounded dismissive; it wasn't meant to be, but I find this trend unhelpful and frustrating. As I am *not* a regular science fiction reader, the comparison and the light synopsis following was unpersuasive. I was left thinking it was meant for fans of the referenced works and not for casual readers who want to experience something new.

What little I know of those two works, combined with the synopsis, had me moving on, but with so little to go on, the book might not be like what I'm thinking at all.

Thank you for reminding me of the samples; I haven't looked at them in a while since they are always the beginning of the book (are they still that way?) and I prefer my samples from somewhere in the middle, once the story is up and running, to get a better feel for what it's all about. Still, they are a resource that I should take advantage of, when I'm torn between a couple of titles whose descriptions are less helpful than I'd like.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:53 PM   #865
DuckieTigger
Wizard

@sakura-panda: Yes, the samples (that I have seen) are still from the beginning and are setup to end with a small cliffhanger.
Quote:
I was left thinking it was meant for fans of the referenced works and not for casual readers who want to experience something new.
That is a fair point. And in the case of One Word Kill that is exactly it. But not for the reason you think. Probably more because the books are different, yet cover the same aspects under a different light. So it is there to say you probably like it if you liked the other, but you don't have to know the others.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:35 PM   #866
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Today is the last day of April.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:26 PM   #867
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Today is the last day of April.
S

That depends where one lives.....
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:12 PM   #868
kyrilson
Fanatic

So the May Kindle First reads came up in my email today. I'm trying to decide which to get, One Small Sacrifice by Hilary Davidson or Thin Air by Lisa Gray. Has anyone here picked up either one? If so, did you like it?
Old 05-02-2019, 07:03 PM   #869
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
So the May Kindle First reads came up in my email today. I'm trying to decide which to get, One Small Sacrifice by Hilary Davidson or Thin Air by Lisa Gray. Has anyone here picked up either one? If so, did you like it?
You can get both very easily. All you have to do is setup a family share with your family and you'll each be able to pick a Kindle First Read book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:31 PM   #870
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Those are the two that interest me as well. I will probably go with Hilary Davidson, as I read an earlier book of hers and liked it, whereas Lisa Gray is a totally unknown quantity.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote