Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2019, 10:10 PM   #1
ShootingStar3598
ShootingStar3598 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Exclamation Network Error

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum.

I own a Kobo Mini, and I have accidentally bricked it while trying to manually downgrade it a few weeks ago. I have solved it by following Kiwisaurus' Guide on "How to Fix Bricked / Boot Loop Kobo eReader".

(https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=311227.)

The last method fixed the problem (Micro SD card firmware fix), and thankfully I didn't need a new image or anything like that.

But now I have a different problem.

So I did a factory reset, and on the "WIRELESS SETUP" or "COMPUTER SETUP" screen, when I choose wireless, I'm unable to connect to my home network. It says connected for 5 seconds, and then attempts to download an update, and fails.

Quote:
Network Error

Oops, something happened to your internet connection and we couldn't finish your update. Please check your connection and try again.
I have tried using my mobile hotspot, but it didn't work.

I so I tried using Kobo Desktop to set it up, and it worked. After that, it automatically connected to my network.

I did a reset again to see, and now the problem is back again.

Why is this happening? Do I need a new image?

Thanks.
ShootingStar3598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:22 PM   #2
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
See this thread. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=314748 The older firmwares use unsupported network protocols. After a factory reset, you will have to use Kobo Desktop to update your device. You may also be able to sideload a newer version without using Kobo Desktop, but I'm not sure.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:32 PM   #3
ShootingStar3598
ShootingStar3598 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
See this thread. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=314748 The older firmwares use unsupported network protocols. After a factory reset, you will have to use Kobo Desktop to update your device. You may also be able to sideload a newer version without using Kobo Desktop, but I'm not sure.

Shari
Thank you for letting me know! That explains a lot.

When I tried connecting it to the Kobo Desktop app, it gave an error message saying "Unable to setup. Version is newer than desktop app." and when I tried again it worked.

Meh. As long as it works I'm happy.
ShootingStar3598 is offline   Reply With Quote