Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-10-2019, 09:41 PM   #16
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
The safest bet would be an open Android reader. Look at Onyx or Likebook. They are unaffiliated to a vendor and you don't need to register them like you do with kindle, kobo and nook. But be warned they come with other issues.
What are the "other issues"?
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:00 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Primarily poor battery life compared with Linux-based devices. They use a lot more power when sleeping.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #18
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
What are the "other issues"?
If you have some expectations built up when using Android phones, those will be somewhat dashed when moving to an Android eink device, because Android apps are not usually optimised for eink. And if the Android version is 4something, many apps will have trouble installing in the first place.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #19
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Iirc, Nook and Kobo both require registering. There are ways to get around that restriction on Kobo, not sure about the Nook.

The current firmware for the Kindle does not require mandatory registration yet. Majority of my Kindles are unregistered and jailbroken. I just skip the wifi setup and go on my merry way.
There is a workaround for the Nook ST, but I don't know if it works with Nook Glo and later.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #20
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks HarryT and mobama. I just ordered a Boox and those two things don't sound so bad since it will be for home reading and I have a Kindle for on the go. My google 9" tablet is still chugging along but I rarely ever use it and I'm curious to see how the Boox does with android, but I'm not expecting it to be as good as a tablet for android apps.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:55 PM   #21
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
Although it is quite possible to use an ancient eReader.. I have a few... You have to bear in mind that electronic components can easily fail and kill your reader. Or new epub standards will make it obsolete. It's a bit like saying 'I want to buy an old betamax video recorder so I can play new videos from my local shop for ever'.. Can you spot the flaw in this approach..? Or in fact several flaws? �� If you need books for ever then paper is king!

@lumpynose the boox note I have is excellent and frankly if there is a better eReader I have yet to see it. The battery life is about a month for me, as I use it as an eReader and not for watching videos.. It runs all the library apps I need and is a pleasure to use. I have a tablet for other stuff but keep coming back to the boox to read.. It is just nicer and lighter. And it runs Android 6 so good enough for eink...
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #22
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Perhaps a look back at popular tech 20 years ago would be a good idea. Palm V for one example. Zip drives were on the way out due to the "Click of Death." Anyone still using any computer tech that is 20 years old?

I wouldn't want to have to use my first Kindle from 2009, let alone something 10 years older than that. I paid $259 for my K2, it was heavy, had clicky buttons, no screen light, etc. It was fabulous, and wonderful. Then.

My Oasis 2 is so much better, in every way.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:36 PM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Sony made some well-built eReaders. You could look at a used PRS-T2 or T3 (the T1 had some "teething issues" but was still usable). These three were based on Android. The PRS-350 (5"), PRS-650 (6") and PRS-950 (7") are based on Linux and are solid readers. None of these require registration and all come with the Oxford English Dictionary. These come up used on at Shop Goodwill (www.shopgoodwill.com) and eBay all the time.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:57 AM   #24
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_ View Post
@lumpynose the boox note I have is excellent and frankly if there is a better eReader I have yet to see it. The battery life is about a month for me, as I use it as an eReader and not for watching videos.. It runs all the library apps I need and is a pleasure to use. I have a tablet for other stuff but keep coming back to the boox to read.. It is just nicer and lighter. And it runs Android 6 so good enough for eink...
Great, thanks. I'm glad to hear that. I'm eagerly waiting for mine (backordered).
Old 04-16-2019, 03:15 AM   #25
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Please note, that when you mothball an electronic device with Lion (or similar) battery you need to take it out for a discharge and charge cycle now and then, otherwise you kill the battery. When the voltage drops under certain level, the battery becomes unusable.
I use my spare reader at least once a year to avoid this problem.

The only reader that I know of that would prevent you from any use without registration is old Kobo reader (for example Kobo Mini). I am not sure about Nook Simple Touch. I think I had to register that one as well before use.
I am talking about "out of the box" or "freshly reset to a factory defaults" device.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:16 AM   #26
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Please note, that when you mothball an electronic device with Lion (or similar) battery you need to take it out for a discharge and charge cycle now and then, otherwise you kill the battery. When the voltage drops under certain level, the battery becomes unusable.
I use my spare reader at least once a year to avoid this problem.

The only reader that I know of that would prevent you from any use without registration is old Kobo reader (for example Kobo Mini). I am not sure about Nook Simple Touch. I think I had to register that one as well before use.
I am talking about "out of the box" or "freshly reset to a factory defaults" device.
Actually, I don't believe you can use any Kobo device without registering. There is, of course, a hack to make the device think that it is registered, but it involves editing the database on the device. If you're not comfortable doing that, I would look at other devices. There are many others that don't require registration...why go with one that does?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Actually, I don't believe you can use any Kobo device without registering. There is, of course, a hack to make the device think that it is registered, but it involves editing the database on the device. If you're not comfortable doing that, I would look at other devices. There are many others that don't require registration...why go with one that does?
They did say "old Kobo reader". The first version of the Touch could be used without registration. But, I don't think you could use the WiFi until you did. From firmware version 2, and maybe the late 1.9.x versions, they needed to be registered. The Mini came with a 2.x firmware on it, so it needed registration.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:43 PM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Of course there was a time when Wi-Fi wasn't even present and while you need not register your device with the builder you would have still needed to register it to use ADE DRM. Registration was also encouraged for guarantees. There is nothing about registration that causes a product to be obsolete.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:43 AM   #29
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There is nothing about registration that causes a product to be obsolete.
Unless the device presents a dialog "please connect to WiFi and register" and refuses to do anything at all without this step. This is what Kobo Mini did. I wrote a rant about it 6 years ago. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=26
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #30
sonderzeichen
sonderzeichen began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Iirc, Nook and Kobo both require registering. There are ways to get around that restriction on Kobo, not sure about the Nook.
You can get around registering a Nook Simple Touch (BNRV350) when you first boot it.

The battery is also easy to replace.

And while an OS update on my desktop meant I can't mount the Nook as a volume anymore, I can still pop the micro SD card out and load books on it.

I don't want to sound like an unapologetic advocate for old Nooks. The fact that mine won't display Japanese is the reason I registered on this forum. That is my only complaint about it, though.
sonderzeichen is offline   Reply With Quote