Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-10-2019, 11:07 PM   #1
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
are you a finisher or a forsaker?

You can put people into two camps, those who finish a book that they've started and those who will put a book down if the book "doesn't work" for them.

Which are you? Can things change your usual behavior? For example, if your a forsaker are you less likely to put the book down if you bought it? Or if you're a finisher can a book be so truly awful that you can't finish it?
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:13 AM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
...Or if you're a finisher can a book be so truly awful that you can't finish it?
It's a pretty high (low?) bar, but there have been a few books that I set aside without finishing. The problems have to be severe, but there have been a few.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:42 AM   #3
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
I read a couple of books per week; I generally give them around fifty pages or so, and if I am not entirely grabbed by those pages,I abandon the book without a backward glance! It's the equivalent of TV/Films,I give them ten to fifteen minutes.No interest,away they go!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:28 AM   #4
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I used to read every book I started.

But life is too short and my TBR mountain too high, so I stopped.

That said, if I am just not feeling a book at the moment I will set it aside to try again later. Often times I will enjoy it when I am a different reading mood.

But I feel no guilt over truly DNF-ing and deleting awful books even though I paid for them. I read for mostly entertainment and don't need to feel as if I'm doing homework just to finish a book.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
If I'm reading book that isn't catching my interest, I'll usually set it aside and try it again in a few months. I've tried to read A Spool of Blue Thread twice now, because I have an aversion to not finishing Anne Tyler.

If I stop reading a book because it is poorly written, or full of errors, I might jump to the last few pages to read the end. But some have been so bad, that I didn't care. The one that springs to mind is the one where a doctor in 1865 or so was giving antibiotic injections, and contained the worst dialog I've ever read.

Life is too short to slog through bad writing. (Or bad lighting, remembering Baba Wawa from SNL)

Last edited by Deskisamess; 04-11-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Years ago, I heard this formula: "100 minus your age = number of pages you ought to read, before deciding to Not Finish a book". I don't often abandon a book, but I have on a few of them. Some are "try again later" books, though sometimes "later" never gets here.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:51 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Normally I read 2-4 four books concurrently, so I finish most books - eventually. FX: I've been reading Judt's Postwar for more than a year.

Reading a single book from cover to cover to the exclusion of all others is a rarity for me. Unless it's a skinny book that I can read in a few hours.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:56 PM   #8
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If I paid for the book, I will likely finish it. I'm fairly selective of what I buy. I will often set it aside and pick it up later.

I don't hesitate to dump free books if they don't get my interest early on. They were free to get you interested in the author/series. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:51 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I finish every book I start reading.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:30 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Years ago, I heard this formula: "100 minus your age = number of pages you ought to read, before deciding to Not Finish a book".
I know a fairly spry centenarian who would never be able to start a book ever again if she used that formula!

I used to force myself to finish every book I started, but I'm not into self-inflicted punishment any more. It still takes quite a bit for me to abandon a book altogether, but I don't hesitate to do so if I'm just turning pages to get nearer to the end and getting nothing out of it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-13-2019 at 05:21 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:14 PM   #11
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Normally I read 2-4 four books concurrently, so I finish most books - eventually. FX: I've been reading Judt's Postwar for more than a year.

Reading a single book from cover to cover to the exclusion of all others is a rarity for me. Unless it's a skinny book that I can read in a few hours.

BR
There's a book that I'm expecting to finish about 3 years from now.
But that's because I'm expecting it to take that long to move from the NeoBabylon empire to the end of the twentieth century given all the other books I've managed to accumulate.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:41 AM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
If I choose the book myself, I always finish it. If I commit myself to reading a book (e.g., book club selection), I force myself to finish it.

There are certain books that were assigned in high school or college that I abandoned and have periodically restarted and again abandoned (e.g., Anna Karenina), but they are the only exceptions.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:36 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I abandon really bad books. Maybe 2% of the books I read?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:43 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The number of books I've read which started out poorly but finished well greatly outnumbers those which remained poor to the end, so I've no regrets about sticking with books. Often I think it just takes me a while to get used to a writer's style.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote