Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-31-2018, 05:37 PM   #1
Djweaz
Djweaz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 12.9
Ipad pro blues

Ive used Calibre for about 8 years now when I got my nook 3G I now have an iPad Pro 12.9, which is perfect size for reading magazines and books.

I never really had a problem managing my books until I did my first iPad mini. Overcame the issues and sent books from Calibre to iTunes and uploaded them to my iPad mini. Just an extra step than I did with my Nooks and my children’s kindles.

All was fine until a little while after I got my iPad Pro and ITunes cut off support for books and Calibre. Overcome and adapt. I started logging in online Calibre library and would download the books I wanted that way. Couple of extra steps but it did what I wanted to do. I would download them and tell it to open them with Books

Something has changed lately. I can choose a book and choose read or download the books. Some refuse to download while others will fail preparing for download. Ones tat do work corrupt or I get to read them by scrolling down. Most all my books are ePub and magazines and some books are pdf.

Does anybody have a fix for this ora work around?
Djweaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Check out the Calibre Companion app for iOS.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:37 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Use an app like Dropbox, email the books to yourself and do a Open With or Export to...picking the app you want to read your epub books with.

Or get the Calibre Companion app. I have it on my iPad Pro and my mini, more as a way to have a list of all my books at hand, but it is also great for send a book to the desired app of choice.

I do the bulk of my reading on a Kindle Oasis, but have no issues accessing my books on my iDevices. Once you get Calibre Companion set up, it's easy to keep it synced with Calibre.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:30 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
For the most part, iBook (and soon to be Books) is iCloud oriented, so the preferred way is to upload via the iBook app on your mac, then let it sync up via iCloud. Not my favorite way to do it by any stretch. I use Calibre Companion, download my books into that, then open it up in my book app (I use Marvin and GoodReader) on the iPad.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:07 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I use Calibre Companion, download my books into that, then open it up in my book app (I use Marvin and GoodReader) on the iPad.
Same, except I use MapleRead instead of Marvin...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:41 AM   #6
Djweaz
Djweaz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 12.9
I keep my Calibre library on my media server. Having a hard time with the companion. App getting it to sync. I just got it last night on the first time I tried to sync it looked like it was going to do it over wireless. Then it didn’t and I tried some other things and got it to try to sync a generic type of way. How long does the sync take? I have a rather big library?
Djweaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:48 PM   #7
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I save all my Calibre books to files on my hard drive, then use FileBrowser on the iPad, and wirelessly copy them over. You can password protect everything in FileBrowser.

Then when I want to open something, I click on the three dots at the right of the file, chose "Share File" and it'll bring up message, mail, dropbox and what ever epub readers I have loaded at the moment. Chose your favorite, and it'll send that file to the chosen app. I use Marvin right now.

If you've got the space, you can store your whole library on it that way, and have it as an emergency backup.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:49 PM   #8
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I just keep my Calibre Library in the Dropbox folder on my computer. That way, if I add something new, its automatically uploaded to Dropbox. I switched to using Box for a while but it was much slower.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote