Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-23-2018, 06:04 PM   #31
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Truly, Jon, were there no books you read in school that you enjoyed? I admit, I was the sort of kid that quite literally read virtually every single book in my school's library. I was voracious, insatiable, and totally undisciplined. Now, admittedly, not all of the books assigned to be read in class were ones I particularly enjoyed (I still have a fear and loathing of William Faulkner, driven by being required to read one of his books long before I could ever have reasonably hoped to appreciate it. )

Last edited by CRussel; 01-23-2018 at 06:06 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:05 PM   #32
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I liked, loved, many books I read in school and wish I had that opportunity again. Youth is wasted on the young and all that.
Amen.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:05 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I liked, loved, many books I read in school and wish I had that opportunity again. Youth is wasted on the young and all that.
I hated most books I read in school. That's why going there is going to be a sore spot.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Truly, Jon, were there no books you read in school that you enjoyed? I admit, I was the sort of kid that quite literally read virtually every single book in my school's library. I was voracious, insatiable, and totally undisciplined. Now, admittedly, not all of the books assigned to be read in class were ones I particularly enjoyed (I still have a fear and loathing of William Faulkner, driven by being required to read one of his books long before I could ever have reasonably hoped to appreciate it. )
Not every book I read I hated. But we aren't reading text books and I don't have the information to even nominate them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:14 PM   #35
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Quote:
Amen.
Double amen.

in fact the only book I can remember not liking was Tess of the D'Urbervilles, and that may have been influenced by the fact I was going through huge upheavals in my life at the time.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:18 PM   #36
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Double amen.

in fact the only book I can remember not liking was Tess of the D'Urbervilles, and that may have been influenced by the fact I was going through huge upheavals in my life at the time.
Or that it's as depressing as heck!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:22 PM   #37
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Issybird, should we keep posting ideas here or wait until you open the new thread?

I like the theme Back to School. All I have to say about books I read in school is this post I wrote when the MR Book Club read Grapes of Wrath!
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...18&postcount=6
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:27 PM   #38
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Or that it's as depressing as heck!

I suspect that may have been a contributor. I had to read it as part of my A Level syllabus (entrant level exams to University in the UK) but despite three goes at it I just couldn't get past the first few chapters. In the end I completely ignored the question on Tess in the exam (a third of the marks), but still managed a reasonable pass level .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:34 PM   #39
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Issybird, should we keep posting ideas here or wait until you open the new thread?

I like the theme Back to School. All I have to say about books I read in school is this post I wrote when the MR Book Club read Grapes of Wrath!
Sure, have at it. In any case, I can't promise an exhaustive recounting, but I need to pull together nominations from several threads.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:32 PM   #40
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post

FWIW, the only way I managed to get through it was by listening to it on a road trip. I'm glad I managed to finish it, but it wasn't the easiest read ever.

(And as for Tess? Way too depressing! OTOH, I literally went from Asimov to Zelazny in my Jr. High library (which was also the local Public Library), and read them all. Some have even stood the test of time. Others? Well, let's just say I won't be nominating them for a School themed month.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:02 PM   #41
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I hated most books I read in school. That's why going there is going to be a sore spot.
I can not recall a single book from high school English classes that I'd want to read again. The ones I didn't hate were all rather depressing and once was enough.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:16 PM   #42
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Oh, my. If I look at high school, there were wonderful books. One year I read dozens of plays. Shakespeare, O'Neill, Beckett, etc. I had a ball! Of course, there were other books I read that came under the category of "once is enough" -- Lord of the Flies comes to mind immediately! Glad I read it. Don't need to do that again. Others could easily stand being read again. For example, I think I'll read Invisible Man again. Should provide a useful comparison to our current book, Passing.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:55 PM   #43
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I remember having a school text of two short books by Joseph Conrad: Youth and Gaspar Ruiz. The one we were supposed to read was Youth, which did nothing for me. Nothing daunted, I went ahead and read Gaspar Ruiz and thought it was terrific. We were in first year high school and we no doubt much too young to appreciate the set text.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:05 PM   #44
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
[...] For example, I think I'll read Invisible Man again. Should provide a useful comparison to our current book, Passing.
Apropos of nothing much, but when I followed that link to amazon, under the heading "Sponsored products related to this item" the books listed were all "billionaire romance" and "mountain man romance" (I didn't even know they were distinct categories). Scary.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:08 AM   #45
CRussel
(he/him/his)

That's pretty funny, gmw. I have no idea where THAT came from.