Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #46
SuburbanSteve
Enthusiast
SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.

Device: Kindel Touch, Xoom 2
You could try the Otherland series by Tad Williams consisting of four books
City of Golden Shadow
River of Blue Fire
Mountain of Black Glass
Sea of Silver Light
Easy to read and a really good plot. Here is a wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otherland

SuburbanSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #47
JohnGalt
Enthusiast
JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
That reminds me, three classics that I love are Frankenstein, The Count of Monte Cristo, and Dracula.
I second those suggestions - especially the first two. I have not been more entertained, suck in, and even moved by any other book than I was with the Count of Monte Cristo. Frankenstein is brilliant, and thoughtfull, not at all what Hollywood turned it into. Dracula's a good page turner, I felt let down in most other areas I expect from great books, but it was entertaining!
JohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #48
JohnGalt
Enthusiast
JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Slaughterhouse 5 was mentioned a few times as well, but I second that. You mentioned sci-fi - I'm not a huge sci-fi reader, but Walter Tevis is interesting and a very simple read - Mockingbird and the Man Who Fell to Earth are good. I didn't catch your age, but I really identified with The Catcher in the Rye as a young man (teenagers are really the primary target.) The Hunchback of Notre Dame hadn't been mentioned, it's a toughtfull, more dramatic read, but very enjoyable. If you like adventure, you won't go wrong with Rafael Sabatini (the Seahawk is a great swashbuckler/revenge story,) or Dumas (i'd personally reccomend the Count of Monte Cristo over any of the Da'Artagnan romances.) I'd also suggest the Once and Future King (arthurian epic - modern English and very readable.)

Last edited by JohnGalt; 08-24-2012 at 11:36 PM.
JohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #49
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I hate threads like this... My To Read list always doubles...

Yes.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #50
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I hate threads like this... My To Read list always doubles...

+1.

I can suggest some mysteries, in case the OP is interested, no one has mentioned that genre too much yet. I was never interested in the genre until a couple years ago but now I love them. The Harry Bosch series by Michael Connolly is excellent. The C.J. Box series featuring Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett, is one of my favorite mystery series. It is a consistently enjoyable series with a likeable main character, exciting mysteries, vivid outdoors imagery,and each book takes a look at an interesting social issue. Light and entertaining reading that is also smart. Start with Open Season.

I've also gotten into Scandinavian mysteries. Stieg Larsson's books are awesome, and I've also really been enjoying Jo Nesbo's fascinating Harry Hole seires (start with Redbreast) and Arnaldur Indrisason's Inspector Erlendur series (start with Jar City AKA Tainted Blood).

Happy reading
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2012, 02:01 AM   #51
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexux7 2nd Gen & Kobo Touch
I would love the OP to come back & tell us what they've discovered....
Wald07 is offline   Reply With Quote