Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-21-2018, 04:45 PM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Paperwhite not recognized by pc

Second Generation Paperwhite (light Kindle logo on front). Could be a warranty return on another, but it was so long ago, I can't remember.

Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 7.

Sometime in 2016 or 17 (after the warranty expired) my 2 Kindles stopped being recognized by my computer. It think it was sudden - within a single usb connection- and nothing I could do would fix the problem.

Both devices developed this problem within a couple of days of each other. I had other Kindles that did not experience this problem. One of them showed "this disk needs formatting" I did format it. The problem started pretty soon after, but I didn't format the other and it still had the same problem.

Initially the computer would attempt to install the device driver but would fail because it couldn't locate the driver and then showed the devices as "unknown". I troubleshooted the "eff" out of them but nothing would fix the problem. So I stopped trying to connect them to my computer. This sucked since I side load formatted to my preference books to them using Calibre. I had other Kindles that worked fine but still..

About 5 months ago one of the non-connection devices developed a charging problem because the port started getting damaged and needed to have the cable bent a certain way to connect. So I tossed it.

I recently got a new computer (same make and model of the older one). I thought I would try and see if I could get the device to show up on it, but now the computer won't even acknowledge it was plugged in. The device screen doesn't show it as being in USB mode. The connectivity is fine since the light indicator is strong and the battery icon shows it as charging.

I currently have 4 devices that work fine, three are new and one is cracked and annoying. I have probably purchased 8 different kindles since 2014, many have been returned under warranty. So I know about troubleshooting and have tried everything. Yes I have many devices, they are all mine for personal use. I have my reasons.

Trouble shooting:

Cords (I have a dozen or so, they work with other Kindles) I used the most recent ones (the newer,shorter, harder rubber/plastic insulated) from Paperwhites purchased this month. As well as those thatcame with the older devices-the rubbery ones that are like 4 feet long. Confirmed cords weren't damaged and were clean. No effect

Usb ports- tried them all, cleaned them all.

resetting/restarting attached to computer, restarting computer while attached. All the different combinations of that.

Cleaning the micro usb port on the device, used dust-off as well as a cotton swab with a special computer cleaner. I have checked to see if there were leftover fibers from the swab, and have checked to see that the port isn't physically damaged. No problems showing there.

Tried downloading Kindle update from Amazon, before the device stopped being recognized, but was unable to access files since it was unknown.

Uninstalled, removed, from device manager

Anytime I would add the device using "check for new hardware" it would always be listed as unknown.

I try to add manually using a list and also letting my computer to try and select a drive. Both fail. The list of manufactures that have drives available do not list Kindle, but I have others that are fine, so where are those drivers? I cannot find "usb mass storage device" in the list of devices to try even though that is what is shown when my successfully connected devices show. When I attempt to install drivers from various types of devices the same error of "device won't start" occurs before the installation of the files is completed.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Rellwood; 06-21-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
MSN did updates & now my PC Wont recognize my 2012 2nd gen Fire One thing that worked for awhile was taking the PC BACK to a Date it did work...
System Recovery
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2018, 06:46 PM   #3
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
I can't do that since this is a new PC and the older one has long since lost those recovery times. I am stuck.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Have you tried using another computer to see if it recognizes your problem Kindles? Another possibility is trying a USB hub instead of connecting directly to the computer as there have been several reports of different brands of ereaders having issues connecting to USB 3 ports directly.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:17 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You could E-mail the books to the kindle....
Advert
Old 06-22-2018, 01:39 PM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@Rellwood: Kindles require WPD filesystem volume drivers (WpdFs.dll; WpdUpFltr.sys; WUDFR.sys). Unfortunately, some older service packs broke these drivers.
For more information see this website.
I.e., this problem will probably go away once you've installed the latest service packs for your operating system.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

That worked about 1/2 way Now says my Fire IS there But No Drivers!