Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-23-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
lucasmpr
Enthusiast
lucasmpr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
USBNetwork over wifi root default password

Hello,

I have a KT3 that for some reason isn't getting recognized by USB (Neither USBMS, nor USBNET)

I'm trying to access it via WIFI, but the kindle is requesting for a password for the root account

I've read somewhere here that's normal. Any ideas how I can I set this password or if there's a default password ?
lucasmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Without any changes to the USBnetworking default configuration file (re-install a fresh copy if you diddled with it) . . .
Without KUAL (I am assuming fw 5.9.4 since you did not say), you can toggle to USBnetworking with the
;un
search bar command.
The USB cable must not be connected when toggling between the two modes.
After enabling USBnetworking (over USB cable, the default) - -
Connect to the Kindle using telnet (telnet never requires a password) - -
Using your telnet connection, make whatever changes you need to make.

There is a "runme" script in the runme collection thread that may be used to remove the password block on main root.
PS: Be certain you are booting into the main operating system, not the alternate (diags) operating system.

Then follow the directions in the USBnetworking package to setup public key authentication.

Another thing you should do -
Using the prefix filter on the first page of this forum's index page, set "tutorial", click "show threads", pick out the ones on using Kindle/SSH, read them, practice them (many are keystroke-by-keystroke tutorials).
You will actually save yourself a lot of time by reading the tutorials.

Then, after all of the above and only after all of the above, try making the changes you want to make to the default USBnetworking configuration file.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #3
lucasmpr
Enthusiast

Telnet not needing password did the job. It works over wifi too. Is there a way to disable telnet after?

I have NO USB. Its burnt. So I cant use runme nor usbnetworking.

( I went so far that I looked into the source of USB networking searching for a wifi password)

Thanks very much
Old 03-23-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmpr View Post
Telnet not needing password did the job. It works over wifi too. Is there a way to disable telnet after?

I have NO USB. Its burnt. So I cant use runme nor usbnetworking.

( I went so far that I looked into the source of USB networking searching for a wifi password)

Thanks very much
Try this command from telnet:
Code:
modprobe g_file_storage
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:10 PM   #5
lucasmpr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
Try this command from telnet:
Code:
modprobe g_file_storage
Code:
[root@kindle root]# modprobe g_file_storage
FATAL: Module g_file_storage not found.
What should that do?
Old 03-23-2018, 03:36 PM   #6
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try to list the content of the drivers directory:

Code:
ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/
i'm not sure if the path is correct, so try
Old 03-23-2018, 03:41 PM   #7
lucasmpr
Enthusiast

There you go:

Code:
[root@kindle root]# ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root          1024 Jan 16  2017 i2c
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root          1024 Jan 16  2017 input
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root          1024 Jan 16  2017 mxc
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root          1024 Jan 16  2017 net
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root          1024 Jan 16  2017 usb
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root          1024 Jan 16  2017 video
[root@kindle root]#
Old 03-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #8
encol
Evangelist

ok, let's see in the usb folder:

Code:
ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/usb/
Old 03-23-2018, 03:47 PM   #9
lucasmpr
Enthusiast

Code:
[root@kindle root]# ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/usb/
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          1024 Jan 16  2017 gadget
[root@kindle root]# cd gadget
-sh: cd: can't cd to gadget
[root@kindle root]# ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/usb/gadget
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        130046 Jan 16  2017 g_android.ko
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         42904 Jan 16  2017 g_ether.ko
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         42534 Jan 16  2017 g_mass_storage.ko
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         43696 Jan 16  2017 libcomposite.ko
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         15116 Jan 16  2017 u_serial.ko
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          9874 Jan 16  2017 usb_f_acm.ko
[root@kindle root]#
Old 03-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #10
encol
Evangelist

now:

Code:
modprobe g_mass_storage
Old 03-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Code:
[root@kindle root]# ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/usb/
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          1024 Jan 16  2017 gadget
[root@kindle root]# cd gadget
-sh: cd: can't cd to gadget
[root@kindle root]# ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/usb/gadget
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        130046 Jan 16  2017 g_android.ko
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         42904 Jan 16  2017 g_ether.ko
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         42534 Jan 16  2017 g_mass_storage.ko
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         43696 Jan 16  2017 libcomposite.ko
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         15116 Jan 16  2017 u_serial.ko
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          9874 Jan 16  2017 usb_f_acm.ko
[root@kindle root]#
Then you want to

modprobe g_mass_storage
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #12
lucasmpr
Enthusiast

Code:
[root@kindle root]# modprobe g_mass_storage
FATAL: Error inserting g_mass_storage (/lib/modules/3.10.53-lab126/kernel/drivers/usb/gadget/g_mass_storage.ko): No such device
[root@kindle root]#
I really think its broken :P
Old 03-24-2018, 08:39 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Code:
[root@kindle root]# modprobe g_mass_storage
FATAL: Error inserting g_mass_storage (/lib/modules/3.10.53-lab126/kernel/drivers/usb/gadget/g_mass_storage.ko): No such device
[root@kindle root]#
I really think its broken :P
Only if you broke it.
Did you do anything that might have broken it?

Note: You can get the same sort of error messages if the module automation files are not complete or current when using modprobe.
So you can't use the modprobe error messages to say definitively if a module is missing.

For that:
modinfo g_mass_storage.ko
or
insmod g_mass_storage (does not use the dependency files)
or
find /lib/modules -name 'g_mass*'

And if none of those find the module file, you still don't know if the module is missing, because:
It may only be present in the initramfs file system image and was loaded before switching to the flash based file system;
or
It may be built-in rather than a module.

To see if it is already loaded (say from some storage location you are not checking):
lsmod | grep 'g_mass'

To see if it is built-in, there should be a list of built-in modules, either in the /proc sub-tree or in the /lib/modules sub-tree of the file system (or both - depends on your kernel version).
Old 05-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #14
Faceman2k18
Faceman2k18 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3 JB
Noob here,
I solved this issue by setting a root password via KTERM

Kterm SSH@localhost worked without a password, then I was able to use "passwd" to set a new (non-blank) password.

After that ssh via wifi/USB works perfectly.
Faceman2k18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:38 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Or you could have used telnet, which never requires a password.
(starting our sshd also starts telnetd)