Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-24-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Total disabling of the wifi on KA1

Hi, I would like to disable compleately the wifi connection on my kobo.
Is there a way to do it modifing an internal system file? (for example renaming a file or using notepad++ on a file)

(I think that in some way the wifi connection remains enabled and I don't like at all to be spied by kobo or by others...)

I appreciate any idea or participation
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Just turn it off. Unless you have the password to log into wifi, it can't do so, whether at home or elsewhere.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:09 AM   #3
petitdragon999
petitdragon999 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura one
You cant change password ou wifi ssid to force disconnection ?
petitdragon999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:48 PM   #4
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petitdragon999 View Post
You cant change password ou wifi ssid to force disconnection ?
Good idea. I'll try it.
But likely, someone that want to hack in to the device can do it anyway
Old 06-25-2018, 07:45 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@Owl_: Deleting the current WiFi settings and turning the WiFi off will prevent the device from being able to reach out. Is there a reason that you don't think this is enough?

If you really wanted to, you could get into the root partition and delete the WiFi drivers. That would completely break the WiFi. Funnily enough, the way I would do that is to enable WiFi and telnet, and then telnet in to issue the commands.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:25 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
Good idea. I'll try it.
But likely, someone that want to hack in to the device can do it anyway
Remember to hack into a device with wifi would require a process that has opened a port for them to connect to. Also what on earth is so attractive on an ebook reader for someone to want to hack in via eifi!?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:27 AM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
After the turning wifi on & registering I kept mine OFF Wifi ....18 months now. I Don't buy ebooks from Kobo So I don't need the WiFi for Downloading. I Side load ALL my eBooks.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:36 AM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question Kobo Fans

How can I find out about Storage & PPI on Each Kobo? I have a Kobo 6" eReader... I an thinking of something Newer. I read 24/7 most times So even tho its been with me 18 month the usage time seems decades long

Seems Kobo Just came out with a N E W 6" eReader ... Kobo Clara HD Perfect inc the Price

https://us.kobobooks.com/collections.../kobo-clara-hd

Last edited by Barbara1955; 06-26-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:03 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
How can I find out about Storage & PPI on Each Kobo? I have a Kobo 6" eReader... I an thinking of something Newer. I read 24/7 most times So even tho its been with me 18 month the usage time seems decades long
The Kobo store shows these details in the specs. Otherwise, look at the MR Wiki. It should have the details for most of the older devices, but I haven't checked recently.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:32 AM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Well I looking for some thing Newer than the Kobo I have.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:56 AM   #11
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader

Ok thanks to all