Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 11:27 PM   #1
matrixsoul
matrixsoul began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Content locked message

I'm trying to load an open epub and I keep getting a The content you are trying to view is locked on my Kobo. I tried to convert it to .lit and back to .epub in calibre but I still get the same message, anyone have any ideas?
I can rename it to zip and see that stylesheet.css and the .htm are unencrypted.
matrixsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

I had this issue with an ebook my friend lent me.

the stylesheet within the book was actually named "abebook.css", but when I renamed it to stylesheet.css instead (and changed the link in the HTML file), the locked message went away
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
cnslcwby
cnslcwby began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixsoul View Post
I'm trying to load an open epub and I keep getting a The content you are trying to view is locked on my Kobo. I tried to convert it to .lit and back to .epub in calibre but I still get the same message, anyone have any ideas?
I can rename it to zip and see that stylesheet.css and the .htm are unencrypted.
I had the same problem with some ePubs. It went away when I renamed the file to not have an apostrophe in the file name.
Seems like a bug to me.
cnslcwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:56 AM   #4
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnslcwby View Post
I had the same problem with some ePubs. It went away when I renamed the file to not have an apostrophe in the file name.
Seems like a bug to me.
Glad I read your post!!

I had a book giving me the same issue and I really wanted to read it quite badly. When I took out the apostrophe in the file name (thank's to you), my problem also went away.

THANKS!!
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
matrixsoul
matrixsoul began at the beginning.

I converted it to pdb and back to epub and it worked. But the conversion did replaced an apostrophe with an underscore in the title. I will try renaming the epub, as the pdb doesn't have the toc anymore... Thanks!!!!
matrixsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochi View Post
Glad I read your post!!

I had a book giving me the same issue and I really wanted to read it quite badly. When I took out the apostrophe in the file name (thank's to you), my problem also went away.

THANKS!!
apostrophe is actually a reserved letter (single quote) in Linux so it is not too surprising that it caused a problem. Kobo should not release any books with illegal letters in them. It is possible to escape the illegal letters so maybe they will fix that in their firmware release.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:51 AM   #7
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Indeed seems like a bug.

I can open some books with apostrophe's in the filename fine, but not all. I've also experienced being able to open a book just fine a couple days ago, which I then removed from the device... when I loaded it back on today, exact same file, I got a content lock message.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
GSteer
Flying Monkies!
GSteer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo [White]
I have the same problem here, but it's manifesting in a slightly different way.

I've converted a few books in Calibre from txt/rtf and other sources to ePub. Now some work fine and you can enter them via any method you want, others are a bit trickier.

For instance, one book I can open immediately from the "I'm Reading" page as soon as it's placed on the machine and listed as "new", after accessing it I can then still access it from this page. If I go to the main books menu then I can and also cannont open it. I cannot open it when the view is set to "cover only", I get the content locked message, but if I set it too Covers & Text or Text Only then I can enter it fine.

This only appears to affect ePubs that have covers attached, the couple of books that I've converted that did not have covers attached open fine from any view option.

Interestingly this problem does not appear with the "commercial" free ePub Hal Spacejock.

Used the suggested stylesheet correction but that doesn't resolve the bug. Still investigating for the time being.
GSteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
Stinger
Asha'man

Wow GSteer, that is some wild manifestation.

Out of curiosity, do any of those ePubs have apostrophe's in the filename? That seems to be a pretty common reason for this message. Does removing the apostrophe help in any of the cases? I've been able to make the message go away via removing apostrophe's, but granted I only tried to access them via the I'm Reading list when they are new, not from the bookshelf.

I don't really want to mess around with tracking this down, but I would be very curious to learn about your tinkering
Old 05-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #10
Stinger
Asha'man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
apostrophe is actually a reserved letter (single quote) in Linux so it is not too surprising that it caused a problem. Kobo should not release any books with illegal letters in them. It is possible to escape the illegal letters so maybe they will fix that in their firmware release.

Dale
If I heard this 10+ years ago, I'd agree with you, but it's not acceptable now-a-days. I don't even remember the last time I had issues with using apostrophe's when naming files on any of the linux distro's I play around with.

I would expect this kind of bug from 1st year comp.sci students, not commercial, production level code.

EDIT: Just a note, the apostrophe is an SPECIAL character in a linux shell, not the filesystem. Calling it illegal is not quite correct, and certainly wrong in terms of filenames.

Last edited by Stinger; 05-15-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #11
billingd
Enthusiast
billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnslcwby View Post
Seems like a bug to me.
Same for me with the Project Gutenberg file pg3176.epub "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court". Problem went away when I removed the apostrophe from the filename.
billingd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #12
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo eReader
Hmm, having this problem too, but the file name doesn't have aprostophes >_<.
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:22 AM   #13
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Alright, it seems that spaces ' ' on html file names inside the .epub can cause this problem too.

Last edited by Bismar; 05-20-2010 at 04:41 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #14
Stinger
Asha'man

Hmmm, do you mean just simple whitespaces in the filenames of HTML files?
I just checked a bunch of my epub files, and alot of mine have whitespaces (even apostrophe's) in those HTML files and they work for me just fine.

eg:

Eddings, David - Malloreon 3 - Demon Lord of Karanda_split_000.htm
Robin Hobb - [Farseer 01] - Assassins's Apprentice v3_split_000.html
George R. R. Martin - A Feast for Crows_split_000.html
Old 05-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #15
Bismar
Connoisseur

Hmm, yeah i'm not sure anymore either, i found some files that have spaces work, but some do not. And those that do not, after renaming the html files to index.html and changing the .opf file they work.

Did this for about 5 files now, so i don't think its a coincidence.