Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
KenFisher
Connoisseur
KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox, iPad
Problem Syncing Books to iPad

Hello,

I have 65 out of 822 books in iTunes that are not sent to the iPad when I do a sync. All but 2 of them are Analog / Asimov's / Ellery Queen / Fantasy & Science Fiction eMagazines. They all have cover dates from before June 2009. All with later dates sync fine.

Here is the error message:

iTunes could not copy "Analog SFF - March 2008" to the iPad "iPad" because the file is corrupt and could not be read.

I have iTunes v9.2.0.61 on a Vista x64 SP2 PC.

All the problem books are Multiformat books from Fictionwise. I downloaded the epub version for all of them.

I tested several of the files by opening the files from the iTunes folder structure with both ADE and the Sony Reader Library software. They open without problems.

Any ideas on what could be the problem?

Ken
KenFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Did you try opening and saving in Calibre?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
KenFisher
Connoisseur
KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.

Yes. I keep track of all my ebooks in Calibre.

Ken
Old 07-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Do magazines/periodicals have metadata , or formatting pecularities, that doesn't fit the expected book metadata patterns that iTunes will accept?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
KenFisher
Connoisseur

I did not see any differences in Calibre, but I will compare one that will sync to a couple that will not sync.

The only time I saw this before was when a file got renamed outside iTunes and it could not find it. I checked all the affected files to make sure that iTunes was pointed at the right file.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Ken
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
KenFisher
Connoisseur

After further testing, I have found the following:

1. I downloaded the .epub file and imported into iTunes directly. Result, the file would not sync to the iPad.

2. I downloaded the .prc file, converted with Calibre, and imported into iTunes. Result, the file synced to the iPad properly.

I cannot see anything in the epub files that would cause the files not to sync. I could be missing something in it.

Is there a way to check the epub file?

Ken
Old 07-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFisher View Post
After further testing, I have found the following:

1. I downloaded the .epub file and imported into iTunes directly. Result, the file would not sync to the iPad.

2. I downloaded the .prc file, converted with Calibre, and imported into iTunes. Result, the file synced to the iPad properly.

I cannot see anything in the epub files that would cause the files not to sync. I could be missing something in it.

Is there a way to check the epub file?

Ken
You can use ePubCheck. http://code.google.com/p/epubcheck/

I would load the ePub directly into Calibre, re-convert it as ePub, using the iPad setting, and then try.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
KenFisher
Connoisseur

Hi,

Based on the suggestion from KJK, I reconverted the epubs that were a problem in Calibre and then reimported into iTunes. The epubs then synced fine to the iPad.

Thank you for your suggestions, they pointed me in the proper direction to find a solution that worked.

Ken
Old 07-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFisher View Post
Hi,

Based on the suggestion from KJK, I reconverted the epubs that were a problem in Calibre and then reimported into iTunes. The epubs then synced fine to the iPad.

Thank you for your suggestions, they pointed me in the proper direction to find a solution that worked.

Ken
Glad you got them to work, Ken!
Calibre is magical