Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
fcoulter
Enthusiast
fcoulter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Unhappy Download Issues

I just purchased a new laptop. (My old one was giving me blue screens of death within 30 minutes of booting it up. It was also incredibly slow. I suspect these issues were related.) So, it's time to download and install software.

Python - no problem.
Audacity - no problem.
iTunes - no problem.
HP Printer Drivers (over 300 Meg) - no problem

But when I attempt to download Calibre, it hangs on the download, about 27 Meg into it. It doesn't matter if I use the link on the Calibre site, or if I go to SourceForge. Heck, I even attempted to download a couple earlier versions.

I did get 0.6.17 successfully downloaded and installed.

How can I get the latest version of Calibre downloaded and installed on my computer (Inspiron with Win 7 Home Premium)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre download - stuck.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	46797  
fcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcoulter View Post
But when I attempt to download Calibre, it hangs on the download, about 27 Meg into it. It doesn't matter if I use the link on the Calibre site, or if I go to SourceForge. Heck, I even attempted to download a couple earlier versions.

I did get 0.6.17 successfully downloaded and installed.

How can I get the latest version of Calibre downloaded and installed on my computer (Inspiron with Win 7 Home Premium)?
If download Calibre with IE8 it pauses, not stops, at 99% for several minutes. This is because my Kaspersky Internet Security is virus scanning it. The file is an msi and Kaspersky finds about 3888 objects to scan which takes a while. So I use Firefox, which still results in a slow Kaspersky scan but this happens in the Download Statusbar addon and is less noticeable.

Having said that, I've just downloaded 0.6.43 with IE8 and it did work first time. I have no idea why 6.17 should work differently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	43..jpg
Views:	272
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	46800  
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
disable your antivirus
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote