Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Is the Nook your second ebook reader?

I just got a Nook, and I'm underwhelmed. Before I give my opinion, I'd like to hear from some of the people who have the Nook as well as another reader. What do you think of the Nook?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
CandyNJ66
Enthusiast
CandyNJ66 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
We can't make up your mind for you. If you personally are not happy with your Nook, then return it.

I'm happy with one ebook reader, the Nook which I feel is a great ebook reader. Has some quirks but overall, I'm very pleased with it.
CandyNJ66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyNJ66 View Post
We can't make up your mind for you. If you personally are not happy with your Nook, then return it.

I'm happy with one ebook reader, the Nook which I feel is a great ebook reader. Has some quirks but overall, I'm very pleased with it.
I don't need you to make up my mind for me. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't too far out in left field.

If someone wants to send me a pm with their opinion, please do.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
CandyNJ66
Enthusiast
CandyNJ66 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I would suggest simply looking at the posts here in the Nook forum AND especially the Barnes & Noble http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com Forum. They have TONS of opinions both bad, medium and good
CandyNJ66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Of all my readers the nook (with Trook) is my favorite.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Of all my readers the nook (with Trook) is my favorite.
If you hadn't hacked it, would it still be your favorite?
Old 02-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
If you hadn't hacked it, would it still be your favorite?
Even before the hack I preferred the actual reading experience on the nook compared to my others. What I did not like was the lack of a way to organize my books like I could on my Sony. Now I can.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Nate,

I'm in a similar situation as you. I'm considering getting a nook for my (third) second ebook reader.

My 700 has become dominant with the rise of AmazonFail2k10. I've actually begun purchasing and downloading only ePub books and forgetting everything else exists in order to prepare myself for the coming of the nook.

I miss the clarity of my 505, but like the ooh shiny of the 700. The nook has the touch to swipe which i can never figure out. Believe it or not, the touch sensitivity on the 700 is my favorite feature. The light is the second. I use the touch to swipe more often than you'd think.

I feel like the B/N reader would be a good compromise.

Seeing as how it's not your primary reader, why are you underwhelmed? What do you dislike

My only fear is Nook sorting all sideloaded content into "My Documents"
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
My nook is my third eInk reader and it’s probably my favorite so far. I think that the type of reader a person is has a lot to do with which device that person is going to prefer over another. I consider myself a causal reader and I think the nook is great for causal reading. (By causal reading, I mean reading mainly fiction or non-technical non-fiction without heavily annotating the text as one reads) The 1.2 firmware upgrade came out the day after I received it, so I never had to deal with the slow page turns or the lag between the touch screen and eInk screen. The soft keyboard works well for me – it works better than the soft keyboard on my iPod touch. The contrast of the eInk screen is the best I’ve seen. I also really like how the nook displays ePubs – I can change the font, no huge margins (so far), and no annoying page numbers in the margin that overwrites the text! I like the fact that it has both wireless and 3g and will automatically use the wireless connection over the 3g.

I do not like the terrible battery life I’m getting; however, I was informed by BN’s customer service that they are working on another software update to improve this (hopefully it will come out soon). I think the dictionary the nook uses is the Merriam Webster Pocket Edition and I would like to be able to upgrade that to a better dictionary. While is does seem like the nook was rushed to market before the firmware was ready, at least they are putting out updates relatively quickly.
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Seeing as how it's not your primary reader, why are you underwhelmed? What do you dislike

My only fear is Nook sorting all sideloaded content into "My Documents"
The software abilities do not not live up to the hardware potential. There is much that could be done with the Nook that hasn't been. For example, landscape mode would have been interesting. It could have used the touchscreen for a page swipe. Also, the Nook lacks the basic ability to sort by title, author, date, last read, etc. And the menus are a joke. I could have designed a better UI on the back of a cocktail napkin (and I don't even do it for a living).
Old 02-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
My first reader was the PRS700. Than I tried the Kindle 2. I didn't like the Kindle at all. Tried it for a few hours, put it back in box and sold it.
Than I bought the Nook and simply love this reader. I softrooted it a few days ago and now it is even better. But also without the softroot it was my favourit reader. Since I had it, I did not use my Sony at all anymore. So I sold the Sony and kept the Nook.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse

Quote:
The software abilities do not not live up to the hardware potential. There is much that could be done with the Nook that hasn't been. For example, landscape mode would have been interesting. It could have used the touchscreen for a page swipe. Also, the Nook lacks the basic ability to sort by title, author, date, last read, etc. And the menus are a joke. I could have designed a better UI on the back of a cocktail napkin (and I don't even do it for a living).
1. You can use the touch screen on the nook to turn pages.

2. With version 1.2 you can sort by title and author with your side loaded books, with your B&N books you can sort buy title, author, most recent.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
1. You can use the touch screen on the nook to turn pages.

2. With version 1.2 you can sort by title and author with your side loaded books, with your B&N books you can sort buy title, author, most recent.
1, I tried and no I can't.

2, Thank you for telling me. I'm downloading the update right now.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #14
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
It tends to be very wonky. In general, the gesture support tends to have as many hits as misses.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #15
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse

Quote:

2, Thank you for telling me. I'm downloading the update right now.
With the update turning pages by the touch screen works a lot better then it did before.