Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-19-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
dndrich
dndrich began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Youth in Revolt

Kindlepals:

I shall receive my Kindle for the holidays! Can't wait. Interestingly, I bought one for my wife, and she surreptitiously bought one for me...can't tell her that I know! So, one book I would like her to have is from CD Payne, Youth in Revolt. Now that is not available in the Kindle store. The later volume is, but that one is not. I have seen it available from other ebook sellers, but I am new to this ebook thing, and I have to figure that the book has DRM from other sellers. So, any idea how to get this book in a form that will work with Kindle?
dndrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Congratulations on your new Kindle, and I hope you enjoy it very much.

A Kindle can read plain text, .mobi, .prc and .pdf but the kicker is that the only kind of DRM (encryption) it can use is the Amazon DRM. (Pretty much every e-book reader I know of can only use one kind of DRM, but which kind varies from reader to reader.)

I can find _Youth In Revolt_ for Nook (don't remember what format of file that is) and in DRM-ed Mobipocket (.mobi) EPub and eReader. This is part of the confusion of formats and DRMs that some people refer to as "e-Babel" which I hope the industry gets sorted out very soon.

To put it onto your Kindle, it would be necessary to buy a copy with non-Kindle DRM and break the DRM so that you can translate it to a format your Kindle can read. I would buy secured Mobipocket and translate it to unsecured mobipocket--if I had gone to the effort of learning how, which I haven't yet. Make that a New Year's Resolution, I guess :-)

We are not allowed to discuss ways of doing this on the bulletin board, but people might be willing to e-mail you about it.

Anyway, I hope you figure out how to do this with a minimum of fuss and that most of the books you want are available without jumping through these sorts of hoops.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Congratulations to both of you on your Kindle purchases! As to your question, the only thing you can do for the book you're interested in, is to purchase it as an ADE book (Adobe Digital Editions), remove the DRM and convert it using Calibre to a .mobi for use on the Kindle.

Inkmesh.com shows it as being more expensive as ADE with the cheapest @ $9.99 on B&N. I believe forces are working on breaking the B&N DRM but who knows how long it will take.

Enjoy your Kindles!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
dndrich

OK, very interesting. I get the idea. The link to the DRM removal tool no longer has a file to download. Looks like it got removed. OK, no e reader is perfect!
Old 12-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dndrich View Post
OK, very interesting. I get the idea. The link to the DRM removal tool no longer has a file to download. Looks like it got removed. OK, no e reader is perfect!
You'll have to use Google.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Looks like your best bet is Books On Board where the price is $9.98. Fictionwise has a high discount on all their books right now but it's in the form of a micropay rebate, meaning you have to use the money you save at Fictionwise. So you actually pay $17.99 without a club membership but you get $10.79 added to your account. This is only useful for you if you want to continue to strip DRM off your ebooks (which I always do). There is a way to remove DRM from Mobipocket files but if you're not comfortable with the command prompt, I'd recommend you get the Adobe EPUB file because it will probably be easier for you to strip the DRM. Then you can use Calibre to convert it to Mobipocket (EPUB files convert very nicely to Mobipocket, so don't worry about that).

One last thing: EPUB files from Barnes & Noble have not been cracked, yet. They use a different type of DRM that will need to be cracked before you can remove it. So you'll want to stay away from them for now.

Hope it works out for you!
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
dndrich

I am typically comfortable with command line, but am running a Mac at the moment, so some step by step would be helpful. Alternatively, I have an Ubuntu 9.10 partition I could use for this purpose, since command line is easier there, and python is already installed. Thoughts on how to do this? Once without DRM, I am comfortable using Calibre to convert to non-DRM Mobi.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #8
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Unfortunately, as mentioned by catsittingstill, it is against forum rules to explain how to strip DRM. Understandably so given the potential legal ramifications of publicizing such methods in the US. I will say this, though, if you already have python installed, using the command prompt to open mobidedrm.py should give you the information you need there. For EPUB, ineptepub.pyw uses a GUI, so you should have no problem there. Unfortunately, ineptepub requires PyCrypto and I don't know if that's available for anything other than Windows. I think ADE was only recently made available on Mac, anyway. I guess your best bet is the mobipocket edition, after all.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:51 PM   #9
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
You probably know this already but just in case it has somehow escaped your notice, the program "terminal" in the utilites folder in the applications folder gives you a unix command line on a Mac.

At least, close enough to unix that I (an admittedly very minor and occasional user of unix) can't tell the difference. I checked pwd cd and ls just now and they all work. I'm pretty sure I've used ps and kill -9 but nothing more sophisticated than that.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:27 AM   #10
TheNoirPi
TheNoirPi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TheNoirPi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TheNoirPi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Don't bother with the Books on Board version. It actually was available for the Kindle last month, but it mysteriously disappeared soon after I purchased it. The mystery became clear when I got toward the end of the book and found about 30 pages of it were missing. I contacted Amazon and got a refund, not a corrected file. I went on stanza and found it for sale on Books On Board and purchased it. It's the same exact file. Missing the same pages. Books on Board still hasn't issued me a refund for this faulty ebook. I found it elsewhere and it was the same. The only one I haven't tried is Barnes and Noble's ebook version, but I bet it's the same deal. The publisher has likely messed up big on this. So, unless you don't want to read the end of the book, go buy a paper version of the book. I guess that is what I'm going to have to do.
TheNoirPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #11
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Congratulations for you Kindle and welcome to our community!

Happy reading.
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
dndrich

OK, that is very interesting! So it looks like there is a problem with the book. That is why Amazon must not be carrying it.

Just got my Kindle for Christmas, and I am totally delighted with it! It is truly terrific.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #13
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
I understand this. I got the same felling after buying my HTC Touch Pro 2
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #14
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoirPi View Post
The only one I haven't tried is Barnes and Noble's ebook version, but I bet it's the same deal. The publisher has likely messed up big on this. So, unless you don't want to read the end of the book, go buy a paper version of the book. I guess that is what I'm going to have to do.
I can confirm that the B&N ePub is indeed the same as the others, and missing the pages at the end.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #15
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Available again!
http://www.amazon.com/Revolting-Yout...=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Don't know if the problem with the last 30 pages was fixed yet.

ETA: oops -- wrong book, sorry folks!

k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote