Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 04:04 AM   #16
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Agreed, Alex. Although you might disagree with Luq's take on the situation, it's an interesting apparent anomaly and you could hardly call his post hysterical or hateful, as some responses seem to suggest.

What's puzzling me right now is why Kindle offers no wireless connectivity in Monaco, whereas it does in France itself. That really is odd when you consider the wealthy and tech-savvy middle-agead Anglophone population (a prime target market for ebook sellers, I'd have thought).

And -- before anyone starts on me, too -- I have no prejudice against Monegasques ... I married one. Hoots. Neil
Old 10-08-2009, 04:27 AM   #17
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Alex, take a look at the tags "censorship, international, islam, kindle, muslim". They imply a certain opinion by Amazon which aren't based on any real facts.

So, luqmaninbmore, why not ask Amazon first? They're the one I'd have to address this issue to. Especially if I really am taking it seriously. And they're the only one who will provide a substantial reply.

Last edited by K-Thom; 10-08-2009 at 04:31 AM.
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 05:18 AM   #18
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
::: eyeroll :::

I'll take paranoid, knee-jerk anti-Americanism for $200, Alex.
if in the US that would be for $259...??
Old 10-08-2009, 05:19 AM   #19
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I find many of the responses in this thread quite discomforting.

The thread was started by someone checking out an opinion, and giving detailed reasons for his or her concerns. Whether or not the concerns are justified is not the point; the point is that many of the responses read as though the respondent felt personally insulted, and in my opinion at least are disproportionate to the objective way the original post was worded.
I am insulted with it. So what?
They hate America. They attacked it. American company ignores them. What is a big deal? What did they expect?
Am I wrong?

What is wrong with
Quote:
Its not available in Canada either, and yes, I believe you are most certainly rushing to judgment.

No company as huge as Amazon would be able to continue in business with that attitude
Quote:
They are prejudiced against Jews (not available in Israel), also against atheist (not available in communist china). I suspect there is another explanation than bias on their part. It is a serious accusation to jump without any data.
answers?

It was paranoid to start the thread in the first place. I am surprised he received answers mentioned above.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:32 AM   #20
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
There is also a racial bias (it's not available in black).
It is not available in brown either
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 05:36 AM   #21
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or tartan ...
Old 10-08-2009, 05:52 AM   #22
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
I think the reason is much more simple.

Amazon will probably start to provide books in french to French, in russian to Russia, in german to Germany, etc... But I don't think they can currently support right to left languages such as arabic in the kindle. So they have no reason to start investing in arabic speaking countries...
Old 10-08-2009, 06:06 AM   #23
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
They hate America. They attacked it. American company ignores them. What is a big deal? What did they expect?
Am I wrong?

It was paranoid to start the thread in the first place. I am surprised he received answers mentioned above.
well I am not going to respond to whether it was paranoia or not that started this thread but...

They attacked it??
which country may that be? I am not aware of any single muslim country ever attacking the US. Or interfering in internal US affairs for that matter...can't say the opposite is true however..
since the question was about kindle not being sold in Muslim countries..

Last edited by lev; 10-08-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:08 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
I think the reason is much more simple.

Amazon will probably start to provide books in french to French, in russian to Russia, in german to Germany, etc... But I don't think they can currently support right to left languages such as arabic in the kindle. So they have no reason to start investing in arabic speaking countries...
The Kindle supports a format called "Topaz" which does support right-to-left languages, so Arabic books could be produced for it.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:32 AM   #25
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle supports a format called "Topaz" which does support right-to-left languages, so Arabic books could be produced for it.
Really? Are you sure about it?
If you are right it means they acn sell ebooks in Hebrew in Israel some day in future.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:36 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes. Topaz books are basically image scans, so they can display anything.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:40 AM   #27
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes. Topaz books are basically image scans, so they can display anything.
So, they are not reflowable?
Old 10-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I don't know. Perhaps somebody else can answer that.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:08 AM   #29
neilmarr
neilmarr

Does Guttenberg offer classics in Arabic, I wonder. I can't read it, but it's a beautiful, artful script just to gaze at. I also love the look of Hebrew and various Oriental examples of loving penmanship.

One of the treasured treebooks I'll hang onto when I clear my shelves of what is now waste paper is one with a tooled, soft, green leather cover written in Arabic and given to me by an old neighbour from Algeria. Can't understand a single letter, but gosh is it a lovely sight.

Our own alphabet of just twenty-six unardorned strokes is gorgeous in its simplicity and expressive potential (not to mention its adaptability to phonetics and other tongues and to modern technology), but it doesn't carry the same breathtaking power at a glance as, say, (for me indecipherable) ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Sorry to side-track a serious thread with an aside. Very best to everyone. Neil

Last edited by neilmarr; 10-08-2009 at 07:10 AM. Reason: would you believe ... a misplaced comma?
Old 10-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #30
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
... I'm not trying to sound paranoid or anything, but I did notice that one thing that seems to bind together many of the countries in which the international Kindle will not be sold is that they are Muslim countries. The only Muslim dominated countries that I could find that could receive the Kindle are Albania and Bosnia, which are within Europe, and Tanzania which is in eastern Africa. It is not available for sale within the entire Arab world, even in countries with well-developed infrastructure such as the United Arab Emirates ...
Well, I certainly hope Amazon doesn't have an anti-Muslim bias. Being as the Kindle is just now going international, perhaps they have not yet worked out deals with the countries you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
There is also a racial bias (it's not available in black).
Well, what more proof is needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Am I wrong?
Yes, you are. Many Muslims are patriotic American citizens and many have served honorably and long in Iraq and Afghanistan. Not every Islamic believer is a terrorist any more than every Christian blows up abortion clinics.
Closed Thread

Tags
censorship, international, islam, kindle, muslim