Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
brashley46
brashley46 doesn't litterbrashley46 doesn't litter

Device: Samsun Galaxy Tab E
Download times for Calibre updates

Hi, I've been using calibre on my Mac for about 6 weeks now, fantastic app, but whenever there is an update it takes over an hour to download the new version. I'm on a highspeed aDSL connection and other software downloads don't take anywhere near as long. Is it kovidgoyal's server?
brashley46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the calibre downloads are hosted by Mobileread ( I can't afford the badwidth costs).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
I just downloaded the windows version and it only took around 3 mins.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by brashley46 View Post
Hi, I've been using calibre on my Mac for about 6 weeks now, fantastic app, but whenever there is an update it takes over an hour to download the new version.
You don't have to d/l each and every update BTW.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I checked my download history and on average, Calibre downloads (Mac, ~50MB) take ~3 minutes to finish. The Windows version (~25MB) takes around half the time.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
that's because the Mac version is a universal binary and therefore is about twice the size of the windows version.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:22 AM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
that's because the Mac version is a universal binary and therefore is about twice the size of the windows version.
Didn't mean it that way. iTunes is a much bigger download than that. Just mentioned my download times since the OP was saying it takes him over an hour to download.

There have been times when the mobileread site would just continuously time out on me, though. Maybe he's unlucky and he might have been downloading Calibre during those times?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:11 AM   #8
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brashley46 View Post
Hi, I've been using calibre on my Mac for about 6 weeks now, fantastic app, but whenever there is an update it takes over an hour to download the new version. I'm on a highspeed aDSL connection and other software downloads don't take anywhere near as long. Is it kovidgoyal's server?
May be a problem with the routing between you and the server -- I don't experience downloads of Calibre versions taking significant time at all.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
brashley46
brashley46 doesn't litterbrashley46 doesn't litter

Device: Samsun Galaxy Tab E
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Didn't mean it that way. iTunes is a much bigger download than that. Just mentioned my download times since the OP was saying it takes him over an hour to download.

There have been times when the mobileread site would just continuously time out on me, though. Maybe he's unlucky and he might have been downloading Calibre during those times?
Happens every time I get an update. I'll just have to learn to live with it... maybe it is a routing problem, although Mobileread itself, like these forums for instance, is as fast as any other site for me.
brashley46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
soalla
soalla began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-505
Sometimes, and that is happening more and more lately (as was the case several days ago with version 0.5.0), it takes me 15 to 20 minutes to download the windows version... and until say, January?, those downloads were taking only 3 or 4 minutes...

I've just started downloading the 0.5.2 version at GT:16:00... let's see how it goes... it's telling me it'll take 11 minutes.... 7 minutes to go with 4,7MB downloaded, it says and it started 4 minutes ago... it's downloading around 50KB/s... 5 minutes to go with 10MB downloaded, Firefox says, and it all started 5 minutes ago... better wait some more before writing again.... oops, only 33KB/s now, only half file downloaded with 7 minutes taken already... a little faster again, almost 15MB downloaded... slowly again, oh my!, 25KB/s... I'm at work now, don't remember if the fastest downloads were at home, must try again later tonight ... ok, 10 minutes gone and only 17.6MB downloaded - it's going to be more than 15 minutes, I'm afraid... coming to 20MB at 13 minutes, it's saying only more 3 minutes, but I think I don't believe it anymore .... 15 minutes approaching, I think it'll be one of my worst times... ok, 15 minutes and 23.5MB... yep! finished with 16.14minutes... not the worst of all time, but on the Worst 10 List!!

Ok, that was a real download, guys! hope next one is better
soalla is offline   Reply With Quote