Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #46
mortbrew
mortbrew began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Single Chaper eScape Page Limit

I am creating a book in eScape and chapter 7 in my book is 56 pages long in the eScape template. This seems to break the ability of my Sony 505 to read the end ePub result. Calibre ebook viewer opens the book just fine and the ebook passes epubcheck. Removing this one and only chapter renders the book readable on my 505. Also a new book containing this one and only chapter ruins the book again. Anyone from Infogrid eScape have any ideas? Otherwise eScape is performing very well!
mortbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:03 PM   #47
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The EPUB reader on the Reader has a 300KB limit on a single flow. Splitting the long chapter in two files should work.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #48
mortbrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
The EPUB reader on the Reader has a 300KB limit on a single flow. Splitting the long chapter in two files should work.
I'll give that a try, thanks!
Old 03-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #49
mortbrew

eScape Question & Suggestion

When I create an ePub with eScape, the cover is not centered on my Sony 505. Anyone know where in the CSS I can fix this? Or is this what the processor is doing regardless of the CSS?

I created a macro in Open Office Writer called Auto Chapter. It automatically searches for the word "Chapter" and inserts the body-Chapter-igp style before it. It then selects the "Chapter XX" line and sets the style to title-num-igp. Next, it sets the subtitle to title-sub-igp. This macro only works when there are subtitles though. When there are no subtitles it fails miserably. It would be great if the Macro ignored the word chapter if it is part of a paragraph and skip the subtitle if it doesn't exist between the chapter and first paragraph. Anyone out there with more Open Office Macro experience? I think it would be very handy to have the macros embedded in the eScape template along with an embedded toolbar. Open Office Writer seems to have the facilities for both.

Thanks everyone! eScape is is the best solution I've found so far to create ePubs. I love it!
Old 03-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #50
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munish View Post
It's really small, tucked right at the back, doesn't appear in the TOC or anywhere. Bit like a "Printed by .... " statement from the bad old paper days I suppose.

In the interest of full disclosure, the actual text, inserted into a last lonely page is:

This book was created using eScape. An Open Office Writer document to ePub Converter

Created by
Infogrid Pacific
For more information visit
http://www.infogridpacific.com
I wouldn't say it's the same as the "printed by..." info in paperback books. First, that information doesn't have an exclusive full page in a book (it's usually in the same page with all the publication info).
Traditionally, this information did have it's own page, usually at the very end of a book (after the index), and was called the Colophon. The colophon included all sorts of interesting tidbits of information, what printing press, what font, what paper was used for the book. It was a good place for typesetters to provide details about the book itself rather than about the manuscript (copyright page).
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #51
richardigp
Enthusiast
richardigp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
The long awaited Linux version of eScape is now available as a debian package. You can download it here. There are no new features in this version, just Linux-ization.

Last edited by richardigp; 04-23-2009 at 11:15 AM.
richardigp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:20 AM   #52
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Can eScape do epub to odt conversion too ?

WOuld be nice to convert Epub to odt , fix Epub formating, turn back into Epub. Without having to worry about xml files.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #53
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortbrew View Post
When I create an ePub with eScape, the cover is not centered on my Sony 505. Anyone know where in the CSS I can fix this? Or is this what the processor is doing regardless of the CSS?
Here's what I've been doing, it's probably incorrect, but it works out okay for me as a quick and dirty method.

1. Create ePub with escape but do not specify any kind of cover

2. Import escape created epub into Calibre

3. Convert Individually with Calibre using the below settings:
Metadata: untick use cover source from file after uploading book cover

Look & Feel: Base Font size 0pt

Base Setup: default (PRS 505)

Chapter Detection: default (nothing ticked)
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:45 AM   #54
richardigp
Enthusiast
richardigp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Can eScape do epub to odt conversion too ?

WOuld be nice to convert Epub to odt , fix Epub formating, turn back into Epub. Without having to worry about xml files.
In a word "no". Once it is exporting from Open Office is a one way journey. You can open XHTML in Open Office again, but it doesn't like the first line XML declaration, you will have to remove that and open as HTML.

The best choice is to use AZARDI. This lets you open the ePub for editing, make any changes you need to make and repackage the ePub. It designed for touch-ups and small changes really, but if you are advanced enough in CSS and XHTML you can use it to do anything. You can download AZARDI here
richardigp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #55
click22
click22 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I'm having trouble downloading and installing the eScape .ott with OpenOffice. When I click the link to download igp-eScape-book-template.ott it returns a web page full of symbols rather than a file I can use as a template. I guess the answer is simple if you know how. Help would be much appreciated.
click22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #56
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Well, I can't really help with the latter, but the former's just a matter of downloading it from http://www.openoffice.org/. :-)

And it will work directly with Word files/formats.

I just hope it doesn't get "disappeared" with the Oracle acquisition of Sun...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #57
kiermel
Enthusiast
kiermel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, iPad, iPhone
When eScape for Mac?
kiermel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #58
tjung
tjung began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Software Comparison

I am not trying to knock your product but I read through your website and I have to say that I didn't see your product as any different from the two programs that I use for ebooks and EPUB. I did notice that it does seem to lack a few features that I am using now.

The two programs that I use are Calibre for converting and managing my books and it does support the Open Office ODT file format for converting. I also use Sigil to edit and create my EPUBs. I am curious how you see your products as different or better than these two software packages.

I would also mention both of them are Open Source GPL and both come in Linux, Mac and Windows flavors. Both have highly active communities and are updated regularly.

I am not knocking your product but I am curious about how you think they compare.
tjung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:19 PM   #59
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Can you have both, 2003 Office and Open Office on the same computer?
I have Open office AND Excel (oo Calc is the alternate) on the same XP computer.
All you need to control is the 'Preferred Program' setting for each file type.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:37 PM   #60
Vigorcat
Banned
Vigorcat began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I have Open office AND Excel (oo Calc is the alternate) on the same XP computer.
All you need to control is the 'Preferred Program' setting for each file type.
Yes, I have same status as you said
Vigorcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub creation, epub creator, epub writer, odt to epub, open office to epub