Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 04:03 AM   #16
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munish View Post
eScape uses the Structure-Styling approach and is designed to demonstrate how the XHTML needs to be consistent for maximum value. From that perspective it is bossy. Then all changes can be made on the CSS. This is a radically different approach to most of the talk we see on the forum where there is a constant struggle with the smallest HTML issues for various reasons, and ePub packaging is onerous. eScape eliminates that struggle in return for a little discipline applying styles, then you can get as creative as you like with styles. For more information on this approach there is an informative white paper on XHTML for publishing here.
Bossy is not neessarily bad in my book. Sometimes you need someone to take your hand and guide you. I appreciate the work you invested in this software and like the results. Sorry if I sounded arrogant or negative, I didn't mean to be.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:28 AM   #17
richardigp
Enthusiast
richardigp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Good effort for creating text-only books. I played around with it a bit and was quite underwhelmed, honestly. Way too simplistic and not enough options (and quite bossy).
Saw your reply to Munish, but I would be interested in what you meant by bossy. By that do you mean the strict styles? Or is it something else.

Not enough options? Can you give us a list of what you think is missing (other than the ones that have been stated such as images, notes, and footnotes). Remembering the target is text books, not illustrated books.

What is simplistic, as opposed to simple (Which it is definitely trying to be)? There is some pretty sophisticated XHTML being generated under the skin.
richardigp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #18
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
I was elated at first. Then I saw this:

I don't need commercial creation support, but your #2 requirement is--to me--unacceptable. I'm don't want advertisements in books I create for myself.

Other than that, the more epub converters we have, the better.

Book Designer has it as well.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #19
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Book Designer has it as well.
Please read the whole thread before posting. I responded to this already.

Quote:
Yes it does, and it's immensely irritating. But BD is a free program, and I can (just barely) live with an ad for a free program...
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #20
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes it does, and it's immensely irritating. But BD is a free program, and I can (just barely) live with an ad for a free program...
Is not eScape free program?
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #21
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is not eScape free program?
No, it's free for non-commercial uses. That's not free.

Again, read the thread.

EDIT: Oh one more thing... this whole debate about the embedded advertisement is now completely moot since they removed it in the latest version.

Last edited by Valloric; 02-28-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #22
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munish View Post
The license text on the website has been changed. We have removed the Acknowledgment page (AKA advertisement) condition as requested. The page is no longer displayed.
Even if the acknowledgments page didn't bother me i want to thank you for removing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardigp View Post
Not enough options? Can you give us a list of what you think is missing (other than the ones that have been stated such as images, notes, and footnotes). Remembering the target is text books, not illustrated books.
You are saying that the target is text books not illustrated books. Does that mean that you don't want add image support in the future? Illustration seems to be very important (at least for me) - especially because ePub is a so called "rich format" with a lot of possibilities.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Any chance to make eScape work with Office 2003? I don't have Open Office nore do I plan on installing it. Thanks.

Does eScape allow font embedding?

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-28-2009 at 07:14 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #24
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does eScape allow font embedding?
Short answer, no. The long answer is here, since the discussion spilled over into the sticky "ePub creation tools" thread.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:36 AM   #25
richardigp
Enthusiast

We will evaluate including images. There are complications with how OO handles images in XHTML, exports as Base64 and sizes them proportionally to a 96dpi version of the OO page. The result is the image is probably too small. We didn't want to hold the app back while wrestling with this problem.

So one solution is a bit ugly. We can use an image paragraph style, which then has the filename in it, and you have to have the image file in the input location. We then have to handle title/alt text for ePub validity as well.

Maybe we will do both. But the answer to the $100 question is, not sure when we will get around to it.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:43 AM   #26
richardigp
Enthusiast

eScapt to Microsoft Word compatibility? I doubt it can be done easily using the same techniques since MS don't support XHTML anywhere in any product (including their browsers). Their exported HTML is a mess as others have testified, and even their new XML format is a screwball mess. However the fact is, in the same way you don't want to install OO, we don't want to blow money on MS Office. So I guess the answer is no, not from us.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:11 AM   #27
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Any chance to make eScape work with Office 2003? I don't have Open Office nore do I plan on installing it.
Well, I can't really help with the latter, but the former's just a matter of downloading it from http://www.openoffice.org/. :-)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #28
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Well, I can't really help with the latter, but the former's just a matter of downloading it from http://www.openoffice.org/. :-)
Can you have both, 2003 Office and Open Office on the same computer?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #29
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Can you have both, 2003 Office and Open Office on the same computer?
I don't see why not. But if not, you can always use this: http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #30
astra
The Introvert

I have never used Open Office.

I scanned the page of portable version but cannot understand the difference between standard version and portable. Most likely I missed something obvious, silly me.

Tags
epub creation, epub creator, epub writer, odt to epub, open office to epub