Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
PVI: Flexible e-paper by Q2 2009 / Color by end of 2009

Completely unsubstantiated "market sources" rumors are making the rounds that Prime View International (PVI), producer of most of the E Ink panels that are out there, is ready to begin mass production of flexible e-paper by Q2 2009 and of color e-paper by the end of this year. Yes, I know, this has been dragging on forever, but at least we're now talking about feasible dates and we won't have to wait too long before finding out whether these rumors are all true.

[via Digitimes]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
there is so much going on this year i can hardly stand it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Wanderer
Wanderer began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Interesting, tho the flexibility (and actually color as well) aren't really important to me... Have they promised any other new/improved features for this new gen, like faster refresh times etc.?
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I'd love to have a flexible reader if for nothing more than the increased durability it will likely bring. Larger and with color could also bring the much sought after textbook market.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I'd love to have a flexible reader if for nothing more than the increased durability it will likely bring. Larger and with color could also bring the much sought after textbook market.
yes, it's the increased durability that interests me too (i'm completely paranoid about breaking mine).
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
It's my understanding that this is the whole idea with these first gen screens. They aren't actually going to roll up like the Readius technology.

Anyways... having had my PRS500 screen crack, I can understand Zelda's paranoia. I've been trying to hold out for a device that features the flexible screens. Yet they keep getting delayed! I really hope this rumor pans out.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I imagine that I'm going to be upgrading my e-reader every couple of years with all the changes and improvements coming our way.

The main thing that I want is an e-reader with a bigger screen that can displays PDFs designed for an 8 1/2" by 11" page. The PDF support would also make producing books for the e-reader much easier. That is item number one on my wishlist.

Number two on my list is a bigger screen that can display PDFs -- I REALLY want this feature.

Number three on the wishlist is color. I have some children's books that have color illustrations by Arthur Rackham, Kate Greenaway, Maxfiald Parrish, and many other elite illustrators. I'd love to have e-book versions of these books. Plus, I also read a fair amount of non-fiction textbook type books, which sometimes use color pictures to help provide information, and I'd like to have these books as e-books as well. I also read several magazines that are of course printed in color. Once again, I'd like to have them on my e-reader. (I'm taking the assertion that color will be here by the end of year with a grain of salt.)

A flexible screen isn't high on my must have list, but I would like more durability. So if flexible screens provide that durability then great. I just have this image in my head of me carrying around a rolled up screen, and then trying to make it lay flat, but it keeps rolling up on me as I get more and more frustrated.

A screen capable of displaying moving images (i.e. video) is also not a must have for me. I DO WANT the fast refresh rate, but I think I'd prefer the backlit PC (or huge TV) for videos. I'd probably upgrade to an e-reader that can provide video, but it's not a must have for me.

Give me the big screen with PDF support!
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:04 AM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Drool.... drop.... splat!

Flexible, large screen, color E-ink readers.

I want.

(Another free-form neoHaiku from Donnageddon)
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:17 AM   #9
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Arg .... failed once again save against shiny !
I want it now !

Where did I put my time travel license ?
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:53 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Drool.... drop.... splat!

Flexible, large screen, color E-ink readers.

I want.

(Another free-form neoHaiku from Donnageddon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
Arg .... failed once again save against shiny !
I want it now !

Where did I put my time travel license ?

(can you bring an extra one from the future for me please ? i also failed save against shiny !!)
Old 01-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #11
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
PDF support has always been number one on my list... To read technical books and magazines, mainly. At the moment, the support for that format (large PDFs) suck...

Color and bigger screen would surely bring comics to e-reader. We're talking about real support , without needing a magnifying glass after the conversion .
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #12
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Did you people read the other article posted by Alex today ?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37029

It's quite interesting too.

(Zelda, I can't !!
My time travel license was confiscated after I was caught by the Time Cops (yeah, the ones with Van Damme) doing 150 days/hour on the inter-time highway in my brand old DeLorean.
Damn those Jovians, and their VentureFortyTwos (Time-travelling versions of the VentureOne) !! If it weren't for them we'd still be free to go as fast as we want on the inter-time highway.
I could tell you about my journey to get back home after being stranded with my car confiscated, but I've been fined 3 minutes per hour, so I don't really have the time.)
Old 01-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
My time travel license was confiscated after I was caught by the Time Cops
There was a hilarious time travel "thread" somewhere. It was about all the newbee travelers talking about how they went back and killed Hitler... and how all the time cops stopped them. It was really funny. Ah here is the link:

http://www.abyssandapex.com/200710-wikihistory.html

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #14
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
There was a hilarious time travel "thread" somewhere. It was about all the newbee travelers talking about how they went back and killed Hitler... and how all the time cops stopped them. It was really funny. Ah here is the link:

http://www.abyssandapex.com/200710-wikihistory.html

BOb
Thanks for the link, I'll have a look.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
The article talks about flexible/color "EPDs". Does that imply EInk Corps technology, or could it be something different?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote