Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-10-2008, 09:24 PM   #46
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Gah, I can't order any more!

Spent: $228.42
Got added to Micropay: $145.78

Got the following books:

1. How Starbucks Saved My Life: A Son of Privilege Learns to Live Like Everyone Else
2. A Million Little Pieces
3. The Serial Killer Files
4. A Life Decoded (The guy who masterminded the genome project)
5. The Center Cannot Hold (Schizophrenia)
6. Look Me In The Eye (Asperger's)
7. Legacy Of Ashes (CIA history book)
8. The Forgotten Man (Great Depression)
9. Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
10. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
11. Inside Delta Force: The Story of America's Elite Counterterrorist Unit
12. The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible
13. Ghost (espionage)
14. The Paradox Of Choice - Why More Is Less
15. The Assault On Reason
16. The Genesis of Justice: Ten Stories of Biblical Injustice that Led to the Ten Commandments and Modern Morality and Law
17. The Blank Slate - Steven Pinker
18. Out Of Sync (Lance Bass)
19. Truman - David McCullough

$4.35 a book if you deduct the Micropay rebates.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #47
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Well, I guess I'd best check out my wish list.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2008, 11:23 PM   #48
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Oh, I so did not need to see this...I just spent $100 at fictionwise last week...on the other hand, I have more than 50 books waiting on my wishlist...
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:31 AM   #49
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Aren't we supporting insane eBook prices by falling for these offers? It brings down $25-$30 books to something that is acceptable, so we buy, and publishers realize they can keep their prices at the levels they are now?

Last edited by mores; 10-11-2008 at 05:32 AM. Reason: type-oh
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:24 PM   #50
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Aren't we supporting insane eBook prices by falling for these offers?
I see it the opposite way. A spike in sales of nominally higher-priced ebooks during these offers shows that there is a larger market for more reasonably priced ebooks. Whether FW can make the publishers understand this (by sharing appropriate data) is another question.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #51
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Let's hope they do.
Anyhow, I'm going with BoB, since they have more books from Paul F. Wilson that I need, despite Fictionwise having the cooler campaign

EDIT: just realized, the other book I wanted from BoB is an audiobook ... don't want that

Last edited by mores; 10-11-2008 at 04:05 PM.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #52
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
That doesn't quite work. Since you only get the rebate for CC payments, buying with micropay is at the normal price. So you have to buy 2/3 of your list with CC and then buy the remaining 1/3 with the micropay. Which makes it a kind of "3 for 2" offer.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I was smart. I bought half the things I wanted, then used the micropay from that to buy the other half
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You save the micropay for the eBooks that are less then 30% micropay. There are the odd ones that are more that are micropay. But the majority over 30% are not micropay.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:37 PM   #54
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
So, I did give in...placed a $104 order.

On the topic of math :> This is how Fictionwise has worked out for me:

(And let's be clear, when I first got my Kindle, I assumed I would do most of my purchasing from Amazon...and so far, it hasn't worked that way.)

First, I joined Fictionwise a few weeks ago when they gave the club fee back as Micropay. So I "paid" $30 and got $30 in Micropay + a coupon for $10 ebook. So a gain of $10 on my money is better than my mutual funds are doing right now!!

For today's order, I hit the $104 mark...that's $52 in micropay + another $10 for the over $100 discount. So $62 in micropay. For how this compares to Amazon, of the 17 books I bought, 15 of them were within 20 to 60 cents of the Amazon price. So, 15 x 0.40 (midpoint) = $6.00 and 2 of them were almost $2 more than Amazon, so add another $4. So I spent $10 more than I would have if I had bought at Amazon.

So $10 more = $62 in micropay available to spend.

As far as I see it, that is $50 of books cleared by purchasing at Fictionwise during this special.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #55
Monteagle
Monteagle began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 700w
Paid $0 today at BooksOnBoard and received $24 back in Rewards

Whatever anyone wants to say, my credit card account and my savings account speak loudest of all. I just received a lot of reading for almost nothing from BooksOnBoard.

The BooksOnBoard Rewards Dollars program, in its current form, is UN-beatable - and here's the proof!
(ereader.com, owned and controlled by FWise, copied the "rewards dollars" name from BooksOnBoard a few weeks ago, but I've been getting "Rewards Dollars" from BooksOnBoard off and on for well over a year.)
Rather than debate it in this forum, run the math yourself. Someone will always answer back with their twist on the forum, but I let my own math tell the story for me. (With Wall Street ripping all of us off already, can't afford to trust anyone else these days.)

Here's what I found: This morning, I "purchased" $67.93 worth of ebooks and an audio book at BooksOnBoard. My net charge was only $23.50. I received $33.63 in Rewards and $10.80 in discounts.

Total savings 65%.

But my credit card and my PayPal were not charged! I used $57.23 in Rewards, accumulated from past purchases, to make this purchase. And I received more Rewards when I did it - $33.63 in Rewards to be exact.

I double-dipped. BooksOnBoard is the only outfit that does this - and my guess is they will eventually stop it - but you can use Rewards dollars to buy Rewards Dollars product. The other stores do not let you do that.

For reference, the books purchased were:

Double Cross (eBook) by James Patterson;
Bad Money by Kevin Phillips (AudioBook MP3, DRM-free);
The Express (eBook) by Robert Gallagher;
A Man Most Wanted (eBook) by John Le Carre.
Monteagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #56
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Ok, let's take the 2 that FW has:

The Express
BOB: 8.49 - $3.39

FW: 8.50 - $4.25 - extra $0.43 for secured ereader which can liberated to HTML.

Double Cross:

BOB: $8.49 - $3.40
FW: $8.49 - $4.25 - extra $0.43 if secured ereader.

I fail to see how you paid less.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #57
Monteagle
Monteagle began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 700w
BooksOnBoard is 8.5% cheaper when you use the correct numbers

Hi Gator Deb. Thanks for the continuing dialog. Your information is incorrect on this one. You appear to be reading the BooksOnBoard pricing backwards.
Using the correct numbers, BooksOnBoard's net price is 86 cents better than the FW price - an additional savings of 8.5% off the list price, assuming you eventually use the Rewards Dollars earned.
On both titles, the BooksOnBoard site reads:
"Rewards Special: $5.10 through Oct 12th, 2008
Get this title for Net Cost: $3.39"
The numbers you used in your reply used the Rewards Dollars amount as the price and the price as the Rewards Dollars, instead of vice-versa. It is, in fact, the opposite. The $5.10 is the Rewards amount applied, and the cost after discount and applying the Rewards Dollars is $3.39.

BooksOnBoard actually saves an additional 8.5% Off list versus FW on the titles you reference. And you can use Rewards Dollars to buy them at the discounted prices and get more rewards dollars for doing so.

To help clarify, you wrote:

The Express
BOB: 8.49 - $3.39 In fact, the BoB pricing is 8.49 minus $5.10 for a net price after Rewards of $3.39. $5.10 is the actual amount of the Rewards BooksOnBoard credited me for this title.

This is 86 cents better than the FW price
- an additional savings of 8.5% off the list price, assuming you end up using the Rewards Dollars.

Plus you could pay $8.49 in Rewards Dollars and still get credit for $5.10 in additional Rewards Dollars the way the BooksOnBoard system works.

FW: 8.50 - $4.25 - extra $0.43 for secured ereader which can liberated to HTML.

Double Cross:

BOB: $8.49 - $3.40 Same kind of thing as The Express. BoB pricing is $8.49 minus $5.10 for price of $3.39, again an 86 cent savings versus FW on this title.

FW: $8.49 - $4.25 - extra $0.43 if secured ereader

In both case, I paid the $8.49 for each book with Rewards Dollars and received an additional $5.10 in Rewards for each book. Not only did I not have to use my credit card with these two books, but I now have an additional $10.20 in Rewards Dollars to use for more books that I would not have had if I purchased the books with micropay rebate dollars.

On my total purchase, I was also able to get a book that Fictionwise does not yet carry: A Man Most Wanted, the new John Le Carre novel. And I received $8.17 in Rewards on that one in addition to a 16% discount, for a net price of $7.03 on an ebook that lists for $17.99, a 61% savings overall.
Monteagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:13 PM   #58
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Picking up the Dune series

Heretics of Dune
God Emperor of Dune [Dune Series Book 4]
Children of Dune [Dune Series Book 3]
Dune Messiah [Dune Series Book 2]
Dune (40th Anniversary Edition)
Plague Year
Shadowfires
Marsbound

so far and counting - yikes - I can't believe I'm buying books right now.

FWIW, I do find it to be a hassle to de-drm and convert the books - I'm still new at it so I jump through some hoops. I need to write myself a little reminder file on the steps I need to take.

But, I finally have my Dune series in a digital format. I'm a happy, happy camper.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #59
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I use both stores; though I tend to use Fictionwise more. (I've been reading Analog for a good thirty years now and that's where I get my subscription.) Generally I find the money can go either way, so I'm not going to make a big deal about which store has the better deal.

Having said that, I do find that FW is the only place I've ever managed a 105% rebate, and I find the fact that Micropay is automatically added without needing an email is a nice touch. Both stores are good, but neither is perfect.

Having said that, I find that I like Fictionwise better largely because of the tone of the company. I find some of the format and device comparisons Books On Board lists on their site to be too obviously biased. HarryT has already mentioned their dislike of the MS Reader .lit format, but I also have issues with their device chart.

They cite the excellent resolution of the screen on the Cybook (which they sell) but when discussing the Sony Reader they only mention the lack of a backlight as a screen factor. Little things like this tend to push me a little further toward Fictionwise, but not far enough to stop me from spending money at BoB.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #60
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Having said that, I find that I like Fictionwise better largely because of the tone of the company
I am sort of the opposite. I used to like Fictionwise but since BoB appeared I rarely shop at Fictiowise for various reasons. Unless you are a Buywise member which is something that never tempted me - unless you are really disciplined, membership in any club like this whether online or Costco or B&N makes you spend much more than you intended, savings and all - the price at BoB is lower to much lower, they offer also extra 2% if you use Google checkout which is trivial to set up, the Rewards while requiring sending an e-mail are much better structured than Micropay which I always found annoying with all or nothing.

Also BoB releases books on street date at 1 am my time - 12 am CST - and since most of my purchases are new books I have been looking forward to for a long time, there are many nights that I stayed until 1 to get the book and then read even if a little from it

So for me BoB wins hands down on all aspects
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote