Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
John123
Connoisseur
John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Samsung Note, Kindle, hudl2
Inexplicable small cap formatting

Hi All,

I have typeset a book in InDesign and now producing the Ebook.

I used the ID export to .epub and use Sigil to display the book and make any changes.

I have attached the file (it's not been tidied up yet). Inexplicably, it shows small cap formatting all over the text!

It displays all right in ADE and Kindle Previewer but not in Calibre.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

John.
Attached Files
File Type: epub White River.epub (350.5 KB, 215 views)
John123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
That is actually a restriction of the QR rendering kit that is used by Sigil and Calibre. There is a font bug in there. It has been the case for quite some time.

That being said, I have two additional comments. You embed fonts I see. If you don't have permissions from the license owners of the fonts, it would better to remove them. In general it is better not to use fonts for body and standard paragraphs and use the standards of the readers. Better remove them.
The other is about the smallcaps. The CSS option 'font-variant: small-caps' is ignored in most readers and will not result in smallcaps. Most ePUB makers resort to creating fake smallcaps with a reduced fontsize.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
One more comment about the fonts used... when I save them and try to open them, I get an error message that it's not a valid font file. It happens with all of them. Perhaps they became corrupted in some step?

And I also dislike embedded fonts, it's the first thing I remove from a book so I can read with my preferred font.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
John123
Connoisseur
John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Samsung Note, Kindle, hudl2
Thanks guys you’ve come to my rescue again!

The book was done in Sabon, which is not redistributable, so changed it to the more generic Palatino, to make it look nicer on some readers, well I like it. I don’t usually embed fonts was just trying to push the aesthetic envelope for myself, bit like King Canute really.

Quote:
That is actually a restriction of the QR rendering kit that is used by Sigil and Calibre. There is a font bug in there. It has been the case for quite some time.
Sneaky little so-and-so’s these bugs. They’ve been keeping themselves well hidden up ‘til now )
John123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The fonts are not properly rendering.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert