Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #16
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndersk View Post
I just got notified of a system update for my Arc - any info on what it includes?
No system update alert here...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #17
coreslogic
coreslogic began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Another question I have is about the Google Picasa pics showing up in my Gallery

I disabled the Google Sync for pictures and cleared out the data in Gallery but they still linger around. What would be the suggested way to get rid of those?

Thanks,.
coreslogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #18
cyndersk
Enthusiast
cyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Touch & Kobo Arc
updated me to 4.04 from i believe 4.01...... minor update, but the last one before jelly bean :-)
cyndersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #19
EricG
Enthusiast
EricG began at the beginning.

I bought my Arc Wed, and the initial upgrade was 4.04. I also have today's upgrade notice.

Kobo should have a blog on their site documenting upgrades and links to useful Android sites and articles.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #20
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes. 273MB is a rather substantial patch to go by without release notes.
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #21
coreslogic

I got the update blast night after reading this forum. I let it run over night but the UI went blank in the morning no matter what button I press such as the home button or the notification area. I ended up restarting the tablet, Would be nice to have a description.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:35 AM   #22
ibabob
ibabob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc
Edit: forget this post problem gone

Last edited by ibabob; 12-09-2012 at 01:52 AM.
ibabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #23
skouly
skouly began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch, HP TouchPad
Hi FaisalAbid: I just purchased a Kobo Arc and I am very impressed, especially after comparing it to the Nexus 7 (which I wrote about in detail in another thread). After reading the USB-OTG specification (USB On-the-Go), I am wondering if the Arc firmware can be tweaked with an update to allow the Arc to take advantage of this? Is this something that the developers would look at?

I know it was addressed by Kobo-Robin briefly in another thread, but since the Arc already has a micro-USB port, enabling USB-OTG would only require firmware tweaking, and adding to the already available USB 2.0 specification. Plus, it would allow many Arc owners the ability to load large content, ie: movies and videos, right from an attached USB stick. Let's face it, many Arc owners (and its demographic) aren't particularly keen on using the "Cloud" and this easily added functionality would really expand the Arc's capability.
skouly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #24
panderinc
panderinc began at the beginning.

Device: none
Faisal, could you please let me know if there is a native way to take screenshots on the Arc without running an app for that purpose? I'm hoping to develop some help documentation for eBooks with screenshots. Thanks!
panderinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #25
EricG
Enthusiast
EricG began at the beginning.

Why aren't alternative browsers compatible?

I check out several alternative browsers: ICS Browser +, Quick ICS Browser, Dolphin Mini. None are compatible with Kobo Arc.

They all require the stock browser. Quick System Info shows Browser.apk 4.0.4, com.android.browser, install date : Aug 1, 2008. What's with the date?
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #26
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Perhaps you should stick with the common browsers? Stock, Firefox beta, Chrome, Dolphin HD, Opera... They all work fine.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #27
coreslogic

What specific functionality are you looking for that is not available in the stock one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
I check out several alternative browsers: ICS Browser +, Quick ICS Browser, Dolphin Mini. None are compatible with Kobo Arc.

They all require the stock browser. Quick System Info shows Browser.apk 4.0.4, com.android.browser, install date : Aug 1, 2008. What's with the date?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #28
kindle88
kindle88 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by panderinc View Post
Faisal, could you please let me know if there is a native way to take screenshots on the Arc without running an app for that purpose? I'm hoping to develop some help documentation for eBooks with screenshots. Thanks!
Try holding the power button and the volume down button together to take screenshots.
kindle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #29
kindle88
kindle88 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I have just purchased a USB-OTG cable from Amazon, hoping to use it on the Arc.

So yes, please make this happen for the Kobo Arc. Thank you.
kindle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #30
ibabob
ibabob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc
One small detail that really bothers my eyes is that the app icons in tapestries are scaled up (zoomed) a bit making them look soft compared to the correct ones in the app drawer. I know its a small detail but it also gives a product a more polished and serious look.
ibabob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ama, developers corner, kobo arc