Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-21-2009, 04:50 AM   #1
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Question Where is everybody?

Hello developers,

Where is everybody?

Did your Iliad break? Did you switch to the ER1000? Did you run out of spare time? Out of ideas? Out of motivation?

Ongoing development for the Iliad is not possible without a group of ‘fanatic’ dreamers, thinkers, hackers and programmers…

Tell us, what's on your mind?
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:11 AM   #2
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
Where is everybody?
Speaking of myself, I did run out of spare time 2 years ago.

Nonetheless, I've managed to study the Lua5 book, have started tinkering with the dillo2 sourcecode and have a lot of ideas for the iliad. But they will advance at the usual snail-pace.

The major problem is that I'm not actively using the iliad because of the boot time or because of the brittleness***, so anything I do is usually just for experimenting or because it's reusable between the iliad and the zaurus (which is what I'm using daily).

OTOH, I'm becoming very proficient on doing embedded subsets of debian for the zaurus, and that would be a posibility to fix the boot time of the iliad... Only if I had time to test it, sigh :-/.

*** I wouldn't handle the iliad to a 2-year-old, but I confidently handle him the zaurus...
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2009, 07:49 AM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I'm also in the "run out of free time" group.

I used to do most of my development during my down time at work. However, I've quickly run out of that. I keep thinking that things are going to slow down, but alas, they haven't yet.

I want to spend time doing iLiad stuff at home, but I've got a few projects there that I'm working on as well. Not to mention when I get home from work, I'm so drained that I want to just mindlessly stare at my television in order to recharge.

I have plans to work on the iLiad. Porting the new version of FBReader, setting up the first release of the iLiadOS, etc. But time is definitely the biggest issue.

I promise I'll get around to everything one of these days...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Time is my problem too. I'm basically in a situation where my funding has run out, and I also have various social pressures, so I need to finish my thesis immediately. Hence, no more free time.

But in a month or two, everything will be finished and (hopefully) my life will be in a stable state, and then I should be able to get some work done on iLiadOS when I'm not busy applying for jobs. I'm very excited about the new ContentLister, but I have so little time I haven't even tried it out yet.

Incidentally, if anyone knows about any job openings (postdoc in materials science, or something in software development) I'd love to hear about it!

Last edited by jharker; 01-21-2009 at 04:22 PM.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Exclamation

Add me to the "out of spare time" group. As the semester is running here in Germany I don't have much free time at the moment. But this may change in about a month when my exams will finally be over.

In addition I recently got an Iphone which I love to play with, although I don't use it to read ebooks on it. But the time I usually spent with my iLiad is now occupied with my new phone...

As soon as I have some spare time I will definitely spend it with my reader...
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
Napoleon
Master of the Universe
Napoleon is on a distinguished road

Device: Irex Iliad 2/e
Smile

I've also felt that the forum was calm and quiet these last few weeks, but I don't think that's bad.

I think the Iliad has achieved (thanks to the active developers in this community) a very high level of 'completeness', and I understand this silence in the forum as an indication that people are actually effectively and productively using it. I know I do.

Although I have a couple of ideas to improve (yeah, even more!) its usability, those belong to the 'refinement' stage. I guess the calm in the forum just means a new era has began.

Cheers!
to all developers out there, with or without spare time!

Last edited by Napoleon; 01-26-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
Atom_
Enthusiast
Atom_ began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
I am also finishing my thesis and already spend to much time trying around all your hacks for my new iLiad. A really great job from all of you, btw... Thank you very much! In my (rookie) opinion they are what set the iLiad appart.

The thing is that after I finish my thesis, in a few months, I think perhaps I could contribute a bit. I have some experience with C and gtk and have been in the linux/computing word for quite a few years now. And... I'm really interested in some ipdf with all the combined features, so that I don't have to go back and forth between versions when changing from physics papers to more "normal" books.

So... we'll see
Atom_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, iliad, programming