Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Any major problems recently with your Sony Reader requiring a repair or replacement?
The display went bad and there was no obvious cause. 3 2.54%
The display went bad presumably the result of an impact. 1 0.85%
The unit froze permanently. 1 0.85%
Other. (Please post a brief summary). 4 3.39%
I haven't had any major problem with mine. 109 92.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Have you had major problems recently with your Sony Reader?

I'd like to get an idea of what percentage of Readers out there have had major problems that required either repair or replacement. I'm talking about things like damaged displays and frozen units that were'nt readily unfrozen. I'm not sure what all the problems are that people have had. I assume most of the software issues were readily resolved, but I don't know that either. I know that there were some issues with charging but I assume we're past that point. I'm just trying to give people an idea of what they might expect for reliability if they bought a unit today.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
PHugger
Connoisseur
PHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle 3G, Sony PRS-505
I've documented my problems in THIS THREAD.

Sony Repair Service felt that it was not covered under warranty and offered to fix it for 90% of the purchase cost. There was a happy ending thanks to a Sony executive that I tracked down and asked for help. I would highly recommend purchasing the Sony extended warranty that cover accidental damage so this won't be an issue. I guess the delicate nature of these displays is not just a Sony problem and an extended warranty is a good idea for any brand.

PCH
PHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

My "forward" button and "forward" on the disc control no longer work unless I press them about 7 times. I haven't tried a warranty repair, but I'm assuming it is out of warranty after a year and four months... Anyone else have similar issues and a solution?
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
my only problem is that i dont have enough time to read it
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flumbo View Post
My "forward" button and "forward" on the disc control no longer work unless I press them about 7 times. I haven't tried a warranty repair, but I'm assuming it is out of warranty after a year and four months... Anyone else have similar issues and a solution?
flumbo, do you mean that both page advance buttons have the same problem? And do you have any problems with either of the "page back" buttons? Did you contact Sony to ask their advice?
Advert
Old 01-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
flumbo, do you mean that both page advance buttons have the same problem? And do you have any problems with either of the "page back" buttons? Did you contact Sony to ask their advice?
The back buttons work fine. I'm guessing the forward buttons broke because they've been used more than the back buttons. I can still use it with the joystick hack, but I'm sure that will wear out eventually also.

I haven't contacted Sony because the buttons didn't stop working consistently until after I'd had it for a year and I'm not sure I want to pay any amount to fix it. Reading other responses in here for repairs it doesn't seem like Sony would fix it for any reasonable amount...

My next step I guess is to hack the "back" buttons to be forward buttons. When I'm out of working buttons I guess I'll see if I can get rid of it for parts on ebay. Doesn't make me want to try my luck on another reader though.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This poll will be skewed since it's likely that a larger percentage of the people that have had trouble are going to answer it than the people who have not.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
crusader666
Enthusiast
crusader666 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; EB-1150
Why is the poll only asking about MAJOR problems. Minor problems count (or should count) too.
crusader666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This poll will be skewed since it's likely that a larger percentage of the people that have had trouble are going to answer it than the people who have not.
Look at the poll results...

Both Sony PRS-500/505 are excellent devices, they're very reliable.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:15 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah but they're even more reliable in reality ;-)
Old 01-04-2008, 12:07 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
No problems here, and I've dropped the rascal a time or two.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:23 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I had one problem one time.

I pushed power button to start the reader, later I could not remember whether it showed a page for a fraction of a second or didn't show it all, but the screen stayed blank. No matter how many times I tried to switch it on nothing would appear on the screen. I thought that's it. I connected the reader to my PC via USB, then tried to switch it on and it worked! The reader was well charged, I think 3 of 4 bars. So, I disconnected the reader and it worked well since then.
The only worry it gave me that if I am traveling and I don't have a laptop and this thing happens....I would be in a big trouble.
What if it happens during a long 10h flight?

Otherwise, I didn't have any problems with the reader. I think I never dropped it
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:42 AM   #13
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
I had one problem one time.

I pushed power button to start the reader, later I could not remember whether it showed a page for a fraction of a second or didn't show it all, but the screen stayed blank. No matter how many times I tried to switch it on nothing would appear on the screen. I thought that's it. I connected the reader to my PC via USB, then tried to switch it on and it worked! The reader was well charged, I think 3 of 4 bars. So, I disconnected the reader and it worked well since then.
The only worry it gave me that if I am traveling and I don't have a laptop and this thing happens....I would be in a big trouble.
What if it happens during a long 10h flight?
Much as I love my reader and am doing the vast majority of my reading on it (when the authors I enjoy most are available for it!) I always travel with at least one paper book. Technology is great but always has that potential for problems, so I always have a paper book so I can keep reading should that most horrible of thinkable reader-crises occurs and my Sony Reader quits on me or suffers a fatal accident.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #14
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

I realize the results of the poll will be skewed, but there's no other way I know to get any info at all like this. The reason for asking is that I see several posts of minor problems that probably got solved after a short period and a couple posts about more serious problems, but I didn't have a very good idea how common or uncommon the serious problems are (ones requiring a repair or replacement). So far, from the poll results, I'm happy again thinking that the Sony Readers are pretty reliable. My guess is that in a larger population of users (not ones who come here looking for solutions, for example), their occurence is less than 1%.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Cool as long as you realize that...