Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
barweis
barweis began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox m2 black
m92 update

Hi all:

Noob with onyx boox m92 black bought off ebay from usa seller for good price. Replaces my nst/n2e which lagged or lacked in pdfs, screen rotation, font size, etc. Now have to decide which relative will benefit most from the nook ereader gift.

The m92 so far is heads above the n2e in all of the areas listed and more.
The problem I have is that the device came loaded with firmware version: 1.7 20120725. I cannot update the firmware using the booxtor 1.8 20121113.zip on a 32gb sandisk microsd in a microsd to sd adapter.I get the message at the bottom of the screen that it was identified but the device does not update.

My questions: 1) do I have a locked device?:
2)what firmware source should I seek if booxtor versions are not compatible?;
3) is my microsd to sd card setup a problem?

I know the board has experts with abundant knowledge and expertise having dealt with this or similar issues. And I look forward to their input or direction.

Thank you.
barweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:05 AM   #2
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
Maybe you could post here a detailed record of what's written on the back side of your device.
And maybe you could enter "Settings" -> "About" and post here the reported "Firmware Version:".

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 01-11-2013 at 04:27 AM.
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
barweis

m92 update

quote from pepe_alter_ego: " post here a detailed record of what's written on the back side of your device.
Here is the info:
Boox
model BOOXM92 DC5V 1A
www.onyx - international.com

firmware version: 1.7 20120725

It is the last bit of data that has me stymied. I can not relate this to the firmwares listed for booxtor. Nor does it correspond to the black pearl or regular black firmware versions from https://www.onyx-boox.com/onyx-boox-...x-m92-firmware

As an aside my main working screen has icons for bookstore, cloud service, recent documents, internal storage, sd card and shortcuts in the top row
and icons for dictionary, web sites, scribble, notes, settings and applications in the bottom row.

Since I am just starting out, what should be my source for add on apps and / or firmware.

I would appreciate any comments or advice.
Thank you.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1159
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1155
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...164162&page=78
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
barweis

Thanks pepe_alter_ego:

I read your precise referrals several times and have not gotten any more enlightened about the provenance of my device. Since it did not come with a written manual or original packaging I can not make any assumptions on its being black pearl or not. None of the listed firmwares mention the version on my device.
For the moment I should assume it came through normal distribution channels, possibly from the USA store. Therefore, I have emailed the ebay seller hoping he may clarify this issue.

Again thank you.
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I remember Boxstor once or twice re-released firmware one or two days later (with a fix of certain bug). It may happen you have one of those "temporary" firmware releases.

What makes me wonder is, that you mention cloud. In that case it would be from ArtaTech distribution channel. In that case there should also be IVONA text to speach SW. General Onyx has different TTS.

Anyway, you may just try to install the firmware (the one thet is placed on SD card, no the update for pdf reader) from Bookstore. If it installs you have general Onyx, if not you have to download and install the ArtaTech firmware. It is not possible (without additional knowledge and skill) install "wrong" firmware, so no problem just try it and see the result.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
barweis

m92 firmware update

Thanks all who chimed in on this thread Mono and pepe-alter-ego. My belief in group work is refreshed.
The booxstor firmware did not install as I mentioned in my OP which is why I searched for the specific origin of the device. I could not conceive of this other than from the USA retailer. This assumption led me astray. Indeed, The seller from ebay responded that it came from Poland with arta tech firmware and is the black pearl model.
Now that it is settled I can try upgrading with that line of firmwares. Just for the record would the booxstor mixed firmware add any functionality in case someone in the community has installed it on a black pearl version. Or should I stay with the stock arta tech.
Thanks all.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by barweis View Post
Thanks all who chimed in on this thread Mono and pepe-alter-ego. My belief in group work is refreshed.
The booxstor firmware did not install as I mentioned in my OP which is why I searched for the specific origin of the device. I could not conceive of this other than from the USA retailer. This assumption led me astray. Indeed, The seller from ebay responded that it came from Poland with arta tech firmware and is the black pearl model.
Now that it is settled I can try upgrading with that line of firmwares. Just for the record would the booxstor mixed firmware add any functionality in case someone in the community has installed it on a black pearl version. Or should I stay with the stock arta tech.
Thanks all.
ArtaTech firmware is basically 1.7 Generic Onyx firmware, PLUS different (better) TTS and cloud storage. Generic Onyx firmware improved a lot since 1.7 when it comes to reading functions, but it still lacks decent TTS and cloud storage.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
barweis

m92 firmware update

Kudos to all. Success. Downloaded arta tech latest firmware for black pearl and placed zip on sdcard. Booted up into update uneventfully.
Like how m92 works with intuitive use of function buttons and stylus sensitive screen.
btw, did mod using old ball pens - 2- for native stylus and ectaco spare.
Styli more ergonomic and less awkward than digit on nookcolor and n2e/nst screen.

Keep up spreading your knowledge for our mutual benefit. I shall give feedback if I venture into using the booxtor mixed firmware if and when it moves into a 2013 version.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
Isles8008
Connoisseur
Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nexus 10, Kindle Paperwhite, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by barweis View Post
Hi all:

Noob with onyx boox m92 black bought off ebay from usa seller for good price.
barweis, I also purchased my M92 on eBay from the seller. Did you get yours from all_cycle_world? I did not get the Black Pearl edition from them, it was just a standard M92.

I had no problems updating with Booxtor's patches and 1.8 firmware. I used a Sandisk regular SDHC Class 4 8GB card (the blue one) for the initial update and internal memory for the patches, as directed by Booxtor's posts. The Black Pearl is different though.

As a side note: in my experience, eReaders and MicroSD-to-SD adapters are not very compatible. I tried to use an adapter in my Sony PRS-950 and it froze up on me twice (I had to do a full reset both times), and would be very glitchy with files. Go on Amazon and buy a regular SD card. They are only $6.99. Maybe that will save you future problems.

MR Forums is a great place for M92 noobes like us thanks to kind, experienced members like pepe, Mono, and janek. Thanks guys.
Isles8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
barweis

m92 upgrade

Hi Isles8008

Appreciate your comments on micrsd to sd adapter. However, as I have followed the leads of pepe-alter-ego and mono I found by trial and error that I had the black pearl.So now I am on the latest booxtor mixed firmware. Also the vendor who happened not to be 'all cycle world' wrote me back that it came from Poland with arta tech firmware.

I hope my update effort can enlighten the next visitor here .

Again I am glad for your support.