Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 12-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
primed
primed began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Question PE white screen

Hi

I've been a lurker for a few months and I have learned a lot reading these forums. I have been able to get my Edge updated to Froyo and running Android Market (without having an android phone). I really love the device. I want to thank all of the contributers to this board, you guys are a tremendous resource and I THANK YOU many times over.

I have been reading a number of threads on the WSOD and the pocket edge and I haven't really found a consensus on it. My edge has been exhibiting a white screen occasionally when the screen comes back on after the power saver blanks it. It then fades to black and when I press the MENU key it comes back fine. There seems to be no rhyme or reason but I generally have to leave it at least a couple of minutes and then it happens, not all the time but often enough. I also just experienced it freezing at a white screen and then having to force reset it.

I have been reading that this may be a precursor to the true WSOD and people are blaming the upgrade to froyo/ermine and a screen driver issue. They are recommending stepping back down to Dingo. I did run a test and downgraded and the white screens seemed to stop. Then when I upgraded all the way back they came back.

My question is..

Do I have a borderline PE that will eventually self destruct under Froyo (so I should downgrade to Dingo and stay there) or

Do most people see this white screen and it is nothing to be concerned about and unrelated to the true WSOD?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
primed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Welcome, Primed!

Those are tough questions. The only part I can answer is whether it is normal to see the white screen coming back from a timeout. Neither of my eDGes does that, so I would guess it is not usual, although I know some people do experience occasional white screens. Maybe one of them will chime in.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
wsod