Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 05-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
thaKing
thaKing began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Rooting question and a suggestion

Hello all! Got my NC a week ago and thus far love it. I've put a couple books on there and the OS has been updated (1.2, is that right?).

Anywho, like others, I like to push the potential of my devices. I see all this info about rooting and other acronyms, however, I was wondering if there was a place that describes what to do, advantages, risks, etc - oh, and explains the acronyms? I think a sticky (maybe in the dev sub-forum) would be great for newbies like myself, so that questions wouldn't be repeated. So any pointers on where to go for an overview (explanation) on all there is for rooting, would be great.

And for my suggestion. I was looking in the sticky above at the free and bargain books (I didn't add this in there cause it mentioned keeping chatter to a minimum). All the links say something to the effect of "Click here for the free book from xyz". Almost all of the links in that sticky are for bargain books and not free. I'd suggest the links actually state if the book is free or reduced price. (Yes, I know at the beginning of each book description it lists the price, but I was curious since the links said free, so I clicky-clicked.)
thaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaKing View Post
Hello all! Got my NC a week ago and thus far love it. I've put a couple books on there and the OS has been updated (1.2, is that right?).

Anywho, like others, I like to push the potential of my devices. I see all this info about rooting and other acronyms, however, I was wondering if there was a place that describes what to do, advantages, risks, etc - oh, and explains the acronyms? I think a sticky (maybe in the dev sub-forum) would be great for newbies like myself, so that questions wouldn't be repeated. So any pointers on where to go for an overview (explanation) on all there is for rooting, would be great.

And for my suggestion. I was looking in the sticky above at the free and bargain books (I didn't add this in there cause it mentioned keeping chatter to a minimum). All the links say something to the effect of "Click here for the free book from xyz". Almost all of the links in that sticky are for bargain books and not free. I'd suggest the links actually state if the book is free or reduced price. (Yes, I know at the beginning of each book description it lists the price, but I was curious since the links said free, so I clicky-clicked.)
If you just do a quick search you will come up with a TON of links regarding rooting the Nook Color. The best place is forum.xda-developers.com -- they have all the info you need, software etc. It is expected that you know at least a little though, as hacking/rooting does deal with flashing firmwares.

As far as Bargain/Free the price is almost ALWAYS listed in the topic. Just looking at the first page they ALL have what you described in your post. So I don't quite know what more you want. Most if not all of these deals will expire at some time, and going back to change all the topics to say as such just isn't real feasable. But I know people try to put an "expired" in the last couple posts.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #3
thaKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
If you just do a quick search you will come up with a TON of links regarding rooting the Nook Color. The best place is forum.xda-developers.com -- they have all the info you need, software etc. It is expected that you know at least a little though, as hacking/rooting does deal with flashing firmwares.

As far as Bargain/Free the price is almost ALWAYS listed in the topic. Just looking at the first page they ALL have what you described in your post. So I don't quite know what more you want. Most if not all of these deals will expire at some time, and going back to change all the topics to say as such just isn't real feasable. But I know people try to put an "expired" in the last couple posts.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, searching can bring up tons on the various TLAs, etc. However, each post has it's own little piece of info. That's why I was wondering if there was a link/forum/etc that had it all in one place. I'll look at that forum. I'm comfortable flashing, etc. I am *very* tech savvy, so not concerned messing with it.

For my suggestion - I think you misunderstood me. If you go into the sticky, each book has a link that says "Click here for the free book from xyz". However, none are actually free. For example, Digital Disciple has two links that say "click here for free book". Click those links and it is not free. Links shouldn't say free if it is not free. Just sayin...
Old 05-14-2011, 02:23 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Anywho, like others, I like to push the potential of my devices. I see all this info about rooting and other acronyms, however, I was wondering if there was a place that describes what to do, advantages, risks, etc - oh, and explains the acronyms?
This Wiki is probably the closest thing to what you are asking for.
http://nookdevs.com/Portal:NookColor
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
thaKing

Thanks Dave_S, I'll check it out.
Advert
Old 05-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
For my suggestion - I think you misunderstood me. If you go into the sticky, each book has a link that says "Click here for the free book from xyz". However, none are actually free. For example, Digital Disciple has two links that say "click here for free book". Click those links and it is not free. Links shouldn't say free if it is not free. Just sayin...
The book Digital Disciple was from a post that was made on 5/3/2011. Most of the "FREE" links will expire within a day or two after being posted. They do not stay free. You have to get to those links with a day or two to have a chance of getting a free one. Now there is the odd one that is stays free for some time and you might be lucky to get those. If you want free books, just go to the BN website and Search the Nook section for books with $0.00 price. You'll get lots.

As I said, there is usually a limit on how long book sellers keep a free price. The people that put those links up do us a great service. If the links are no longer free, how about sending them a message letting them know that and then they would probably mark it as expired.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
If you're looking for a "run CM7 from SD card" tutorial, I made a series of videos when I went through the process.

http://www.anamardoll.com/2011/04/er...e-on-nook.html
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Not a Nook Color owner, but happened to have this open in a tab:

How to Root the Nook Color 1.2: Basic and Dual Boot HoneyComb Methods
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
thaKing

@jersysman - I didn't realize the "freeness" was for such a short period of time. I'm new here, and to Nook, and was just offering a suggestion I thought would help me. However, now that I know how it works, no biggie.

@anamardoll and @jj2me - thanks for the links. Reading up on these now.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Welcome, thaKing! Hope you are enjoying you new Nook. I recommend the website inkmesh.com. It will show you a list of current free books.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #11
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I wasn't sure how to get my bearings when I first started looking into my options for the NC, and this blog post helped me get my head around it all:

http://quinxy.com/guides/how-to-pick...stall-options/

It's by no means an exhaustive list of the options, but it helped me get a grip on all the acronyms and what "rooting" really means, etc.

My own thought process and the resources I ended up using are at the link in my sig.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
thaKing

Thanks for the link taosaur - like you did, trying to get my bearings and options. Links like this help.

Oh, and thanks for the kind welcome Bookworm_Girl.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
bugjd
bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, paperwhite, iPhone 4s, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
If you're looking for a "run CM7 from SD card" tutorial, I made a series of videos when I went through the process.

http://www.anamardoll.com/2011/04/er...e-on-nook.html
i just wanted to say a quick thanks for the great tutorial. ran this last night with no issues at all, as you've "idiot-proofed" the whole thing rather nicely. was having some issues with performance using a cheapo PNY card, but then took an old sandisk out of my phone and used that instead, and it's running like a champ now.

so, thanks again.
bugjd is offline   Reply With Quote