Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-26-2017, 09:53 AM   #1771
knc1
Ex-Helpdesk Addict
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No PW2, KV, KOA
While searching for the German language version of this jailbreak, I stumbled on:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/cd/d...x23S083GTC5THC

See the one comment.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2017, 10:00 AM   #1772
grognon91
grognon91 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
(I m on 5.8.7 (>=5.5) so reading the tutorial, I assume MrPi is needed for .bin packages right ?)

Thanks to both of you I installed everything and everything works.

I installed KUAL first (by putting the KUAL-...-2.0.azw2 file in /documents)
And then i unarchived the kual-mrinstaller-1.6.N.zip at the root of my Kindle.

I was able to launch KUAL, then launch Helper tool, and click "Install MR Packages" and the message "Hush Baby..." appeared followed by "no MR packages found" (everything normal).

Actually, I was bugging on the 8.a instruction :
Spoiler:
KOA and KT3 owners:
You must run the installer with your new, search bar command: ;log mrpi
Other models covered in this thread may do the same or may run it from KUAL.

Putting ;log mrpi in the search bar and validating it wasn't, isn't, doing anything. (no "Hush baby" -> "no MR packages found" message appearing)
(I tried it with both unarchiving mrpi archive in Kindle's root case, or just putting the archive at the Kindle's root case. As neither of the cases worked, I was unsure about understanding the instructions anymore)

But launching it through KUAL works.

Thanks again

PS: I m french, (not so far from english) but I just lack of english grammar bases and verbs time matching, so I often end up twisting the meaning of a sentence

Last edited by grognon91; 04-26-2017 at 10:07 AM.
grognon91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:21 AM   #1773
knc1
Ex-Helpdesk Addict
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wrote that PW-2 users should use a prior jailbreak process and skip steps #5 and #6.

It is step #6 that installs the extension to the search bar commands.

If you want the search bar extension, it is safe for you to install the "hotfix" package linked to in step #6.
That extension to the search bar also allows for executing custom scripts from USB storage, so it might be useful even on the devices that do not require the new one.

(Actually, I though that the older jb process had been updated to include the search bar command extensions. But I don't have a PW2 to test anything on.)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:59 AM   #1774
grognon91

I downloaded the hotfix .bin package and put it at the root of the Kindle as said in step 6.
When I switch on the Kindle, an error message popped up. So i plugged back in the PC ans the .bin had vanished. (So that s the purpose of MrPI on >=5.5...)

So I put the .bin in the /mrpackages folder, then launched MrPI through KUAL.
it processed, at some point a message "destroying mr packages" appeared. Then the Kindle UI restarted.
So I checked the /mrpackages folder and the .bin had vanished.

I assumed the hotfix had worked. I tried ;log mrpi in the search bar but still nothing happened.

Anyway, KUAL works, so i m fine with it (no search bar command launcher). I ll search later if there is a KUAL extension to launch custom scripts if I need it.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #1775
knc1
Ex-Helpdesk Addict

In Step #6, the person following the directions is still running the factory, production line, firmware build.

You are now running a consumer firmware build, you must use MrPI.

What was put into the log by MrPI?
Old 04-26-2017, 11:14 AM   #1776
grognon91

Spoiler:

[2016-08-01 @ 01:27:06 +0000] :: [MRPI r13359] - Beginning the processing of package 'Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin' (jailbreak hotfix 1.14.N I) . . .

Package 'Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin' (jailbreak hotfix 1.14.N I) is not targeting your FW version [!(2443670049 < 3095600028 < 3018920019)] skipping . . .

that log file is awesome (beginner's thoughts). So here is the answer if the update applied, nope.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #1777
Antinoos
Antinoos began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT, PW3, KT3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What firmware version of what country?
PW3, Germany, now on 5.8.7.0.1.

I remember definitely not ever having done the ";log mrpi" search command, but followed your very clear directions and "pre installed" the MRPI directories before upgrading to 5.8.7.0.1 already. The result was that the MRPI internal lib/bin directories were still empty and I've only used the Active Documents to launch KUAL and/or Vlasovsoft's CoolReader. Worked perfectly. No "real" need to have the *.kual MIME type link as an alternative.

Much later on - just for testing - I executed the already prepared "real" ";log mrpi" search with the KUAL booklet residing inside /mrpackages. This led to the installation of the respective contents in the internal "PW2" subdirectories of MRPI and also the creation of the KUAL.kual document which could from now on be alternatively used besides the *.azw2 document to do the one and same thing: launching KUAL.
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:15 PM   #1778
knc1
Ex-Helpdesk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grognon91 View Post
Spoiler:

[2016-08-01 @ 01:27:06 +0000] :: [MRPI r13359] - Beginning the processing of package 'Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin' (jailbreak hotfix 1.14.N I) . . .

Package 'Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin' (jailbreak hotfix 1.14.N I) is not targeting your FW version [!(2443670049 < 3095600028 < 3018920019)] skipping . . .

that log file is awesome (beginner's thoughts). So here is the answer if the update applied, nope.
So it needs to be re-packaged.
And the maintainer, NiLuJe, is away at school.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:55 PM   #1779
grognon91

Can I do the tutorial again on my jailbroken Kindle (so in 5.8.7 fw) ?

Starting by resetting it so it goes back to customer 5.4.3.2 (step2).
Then I update to the production 5.4.3.2 (step3) and so on, and this time I don't skip the step 6 (so the jb will be updated by the hotfix version). Then I upgrade it at 5.8.7 and this time i would have the search bar command launcher.

Or does resetting it right now wont downgrade it back to custome 5.4.3.2 but a higher customer version ?
Old 04-26-2017, 10:07 PM   #1780
knc1
Ex-Helpdesk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grognon91 View Post
Can I do the tutorial again on my jailbroken Kindle (so in 5.8.7 fw) ?

Starting by resetting it so it goes back to customer 5.4.3.2 (step2).
Then I update to the production 5.4.3.2 (step3) and so on, and this time I don't skip the step 6 (so the jb will be updated by the hotfix version). Then I upgrade it at 5.8.7 and this time i would have the search bar command launcher.

Or does resetting it right now wont downgrade it back to custome 5.4.3.2 but a higher customer version ?
Stay away from the "reset".
Now and forever after, stay away from the "reset".

You could but it isn't required, since you are now jail broken.
You can now gain access to the full filesystem, so you can put in place the search bar script from the command line.

The two easiest ways -
Install kTerm (a command line terminal) and do the work on the Kindle itself.
and/or
Install USB networking (which includes ssh and telnet) and do the work from a remote (about 2 feet remote - depends on lengh of USB cable) command line.

Whichever you are most comfortable with.

- - - -

Once you get past installing command line access that you are comfortable with - then come back and we will tackle the actual procedure.
Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM   #1781
Antinoos

@grognon91: Just for your info: Resetting a Kindle will NOT affect the installed firmware (as opposed to Kobo devices where a reset downgrades to the primary factory firmware, thus fixing all possible problems with prior fw updates). That's why Kindle users having already done an upgrade to 5.8.8 or 5.8.9 are out of luck when trying to jailbreak their reader. Reset will only do very very bad things (like removing an already applied jailbreak), so really listen to knc1: You must NEVER EVER do that!!

Gesendet von meinem Google Pixel mit Yabba-Dabba-Talk.
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM   #1782
knc1
Ex-Helpdesk Addict

The Kindles are dual-boot.
They have two operating systems installed.
Neither of them have a backup of any kind installed.

All a "Reset" does is erase everything a user has put on the Kindle, including the "survival code" for the jailbreak. Which means the jailbreak will not survive the next firmware update.

Last edited by knc1; Yesterday at 10:58 AM.
Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM   #1783
Antinoos

That's what I've meant: The first OS is - simplifying - the boot code. The second is the "user visible" on to which most parts of an update apply. And once updated, the update becomes part of the internal ROM and will not be downgraded on a "factory reset". The advantage is that you don't need a so to say extra "recovery partition", what frees up some hundred MB of user space (especially with legacy 2 GB Kindles).

The other thing a reset does, is completely clearing any user configurations (most of them reside in the system area, e.g. Wifi access config etc.).

Gesendet von meinem Google Pixel mit Yabba-Dabba-Talk.

Last edited by Antinoos; Yesterday at 01:05 PM.