Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
rocky1938
rocky1938 doesn't litterrocky1938 doesn't litterrocky1938 doesn't litter

Device: potential Kindle user
Exclamation NowNow service discontinued!

Just passing word from "the other side" to you guys that Amazon has decided to discontinue the NowNow question/answer service as of immediately. For those that never got around to using it, you could send us a question and we'd (try to) answer it to the best of our abilities. We're not even sure what caused Amazon to come to this decision, though we think the backlog of questions thanks to that Oprah episode may have had something to do with it.
rocky1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I never used the service but it was nice to know it was there if I needed it. Do you know if Amazon plans to make an official announcement?

Thanks for letting us know.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I never used the service but it was nice to know it was there if I needed it. Do you know if Amazon plans to make an official announcement?

Thanks for letting us know.
I used it once... buy Ricky Maveety wouldn't accept it as legal advice. Even though I asked for US CFR cites. I won't miss it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I used it once, to test it. I think one problem is that there are enough tools now that people can do most research on their own.
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1938 View Post
Just passing word from "the other side" to you guys that Amazon has decided to discontinue the NowNow question/answer service as of immediately. For those that never got around to using it, you could send us a question and we'd (try to) answer it to the best of our abilities. We're not even sure what caused Amazon to come to this decision, though we think the backlog of questions thanks to that Oprah episode may have had something to do with it.
Honestly, I tried using it once. The answer I got turned out to be dead wrong. That was the last time I used it. Understanding that you do get what you pay for, people shouldn't expect much from any free research service.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
rocky1938
rocky1938 doesn't litterrocky1938 doesn't litterrocky1938 doesn't litter

Device: potential Kindle user
Rumor is the web browser may be next on the chopping block (cost cutting, likely)
rocky1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Rumor is the web browser may be next on the chopping block (cost cutting, likely)
And, the web browser didn't impress me all that much either. However, it did get me to move from Maxthon to Firefox ... and I do like Firefox very (very) much.

No one company is going to produce 100% great products or services. Every company comes out with serious clunkers. I'm willing to try them out .... but if they don't impress me, don't suit my needs, and actually make it difficult for me to be productive ... then I don't keep them around for long.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
KindleDude
Connoisseur

Quote:
I sort of liked having the web browser...not for regular use, but to grab an occasional email or look up something on Google. Also, will the Mobipocket Guide work without the browser?
Old 11-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleDude View Post
I sort of liked having the web browser...not for regular use, but to grab an occasional email or look up something on Google. Also, will the Mobipocket Guide work without the browser?
I think you have the web browser confused with Whispernet web access. The two things are not the same.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #10
KindleDude
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I think you have the web browser confused with Whispernet web access. The two things are not the same.
I don't think so. I access my mail (gmail), Google, and a few other pages by using the Web browser via Whispernet on occasion, so I'm wondering about losing that functionality. Not because it's a great web browser, obviously it's not, but if I happen to be using the Kindle it may be the best or only option.

My question about book downloads was prompted by the fact that when I download a book from the mobi index, the browser opens. Perhaps that is not a necessary step in the process but only a by-product and the download will work via Whispernet only from the list without any other front end or interface--that is my question.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleDude View Post
My question about book downloads was prompted by the fact that when I download a book from the mobi index, the browser opens. Perhaps that is not a necessary step in the process but only a by-product and the download will work via Whispernet only from the list without any other front end or interface--that is my question.
Good point! If the browser goes down, I don't think we'll be able to use the MR or Feedbooks guides.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:46 PM   #12
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Buzzkilling:

KINDLE! GET THAT WEB BROWSER OUT OF THERE.
YOUR AN EBOOK READER, YOUR NOT SUPPOSE TO BROWSE THE WEB
IT DOESN'T EVEN FIT
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Just to throw my two cents in, I never used it, and thought it was a dumb idea on Amazon's part to include it.

Isn't that what Google is for? Some things just don't belong on a book reader........

Now, the web browsers.......well, I guess we can still download mobileread and feedbooks and mnybooks thru our computers, but IF they decide to discontinue that, I'll miss the service.............
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:01 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv View Post
Buzzkilling:

KINDLE! GET THAT WEB BROWSER OUT OF THERE.
YOUR AN EBOOK READER, YOUR NOT SUPPOSE TO BROWSE THE WEB
IT DOESN'T EVEN FIT
Old 11-21-2008, 10:05 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
my thoughts exactly!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote