Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
Rcartes
Rcartes began at the beginning.

Device: none
HTML from Project Gutenberg?

Hi All,

I've just joined the list as I'm thinking seriously about buying a Sony PRS-505, and am a definite beginner.

What I was wondering was, whether it would read satisfactorily material from Project Gutenberg, which is mostly in HTML format. Do I need to convert it, or would it load up in decent layout without my having to process it?

Hope someone can help,

Richard
Rcartes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcartes View Post
What I was wondering was, whether it would read satisfactorily material from Project Gutenberg, which is mostly in HTML format. Do I need to convert it, or would it load up in decent layout without my having to process it?
It would be ok, but not perfect. It probably depends on the HTML. Your best bet would probably be to convert the HTML to LRF using calibre.

That said, many public domain books are available from other sources with much better formatting and in the Sony file format. The best of these would be right here in our ebook d/l section and also at feedbooks.com. Manybooks.net is a close 3rd... they seem to have alot that the other two dont, but the formatting is not always as good.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
a lot of PG content is available via manybooks.net in epub format (created by calibre)
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:12 AM   #4
Rcartes
Rcartes began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile

Thanks very much, both: those sites are certainly impressive and have lots of great material. I'm looking forward to getting a Reader now.

Richard
Rcartes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:17 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It would be ok, but not perfect. It probably depends on the HTML. Your best bet would probably be to convert the HTML to LRF using calibre.
Unfortunately it would not be OK, since the Sony does not support HTML. It would need to be converted to a different format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately it would not be OK, since the Sony does not support HTML. It would need to be converted to a different format.
Doh... to many readers to keep track of features on. I guess I was thinking of the Kindle.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcartes View Post
Hi All,

I've just joined the list as I'm thinking seriously about buying a Sony PRS-505, and am a definite beginner.

Hope someone can help,

Richard
Hi Richard,
Yes you will have to convert the HTML. If you use a tool like BookCreator then you do not have to do any conversion.

Just open the tool by double clicking on the template.
When MS Word opens up.
Click "Import File..." toolbar and enter the URL to the Project Gutenberg HTML and it will import the document into word.

From there you save the word document. Then copy the document to your PRS-505 device.

If you have calibre, BookCreator can create LRF and ePUB and directly store them in your PRS-505.

I download quite a lot from Project Gutenberg, I'm fussy about my formats so I typically spend about 1-5min per book to make sure the layout is pleasant.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I'm fussy about my formats so I typically spend about 1-5min per book to make sure the layout is pleasant.

=X=
I had to laugh when I read that. I spend many hours on each book that I upload here to make it nice to read .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I had to laugh when I read that.
At your service Mr. HarryT . As long as someone found use of my previous post being informative or humors it was worth the electrons spent

Quote:
I spend many hours
Dear Lord! That is dedication. You must be proof reading the text (not format) to be spending so much time.

BTW have you tried using BookCreator yet? I've incorporated several of the search & replace tips you mentioned in your tutorial into the tool.

Oh incidentally I do spend more time on books I upload to MobiRead. I spent a whole 15min on the Ethics book I uploaded.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 10-16-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Added the last paragraph
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #10
jimad
Connoisseur
jimad is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
>I guess I was thinking of the Kindle [re HTML]

Kindle also doesn't directly support HTML. You CAN open a single-file HTML Book via Kindle's experimental Web browser and continue to read that book until you use the web browser for something else. But that seems like a pretty fragile "solution". Commonly used tools for converting HTML to Kindle-friendly MOBI files include:

Calibre
Mobipocket Creator
mobigen
Stanza

Now Gutenberg is supporting EPUB and MOBI (via file-format-conversion) directly. Unfortunately, trying to access Gutenberg directly from your Kindle's web browser remains an extremely trying experience, so you'd have to get your desktop computer involved in the deal. Or get Magic Catalog. Or try one of the Ebook Reader compatible websites.
jimad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #11
colonel
Enthusiast
colonel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
much of gutenberg is epub
colonel is offline   Reply With Quote