Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Most Well-Read Cities in America

Amazon's 3rd Annual Most Well-Read Cities in America - 2013

Quote:
Amazon.com today announced its third annual list of the Most Well-Read Cities in America. The ranking was determined by compiling sales data of all book, magazine and newspaper sales in both print and Kindle format since June 1, 2012, on a per capita basis in cities with more than 100,000 residents. The Top 20 Most Well-Read Cities are:
  1. Alexandria, VA
  2. Knoxville, TN
  3. Miami, FL
  4. Cambridge, MA
  5. Orlando, FL
  6. Ann Arbor, MI
  7. Berkeley, CA
  8. Cincinnati, OH
  9. Columbia, SC
  10. Pittsburgh, PA
  11. St. Louis, MO
  12. Salt Lake City, UT
  13. Seattle, WA
  14. Vancouver, WA
  15. Gainesville, FL
  16. Atlanta, GA
  17. Dayton, OH
  18. Richmond, VA
  19. Clearwater, FL
  20. Tallahassee, FL

Previous Years

Last edited by tubemonkey; 04-24-2013 at 12:37 PM.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Is there any way to compare this list with previous years' lists? I know Ann Arbor has always been high - probably because of the university there.

(sometimes I think that me, all by myself, should make that list -I've been on a book buying rampage lately.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon's 2nd Annual Most Well-Read Cities in America - 2012

Quote:
Kicking off the summer reading season, Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN) announced its annual list of the Most Well-Read Cities in America. The ranking was determined by compiling sales data of all book, magazine and newspaper sales in both print and Kindle format since June 1, 2011, on a per capita basis in cities with more than 100,000 residents. The Top 20 Most Well-Read Cities are:
  1. Alexandria, VA
  2. Cambridge, MA
  3. Berkeley, CA
  4. Ann Arbor, MI
  5. Boulder, CO
  6. Miami, FL
  7. Arlington, VA
  8. Gainesville, FL
  9. Washington, DC
  10. Salt Lake City, UT
  11. Pittsburgh, PA
  12. Knoxville, TN
  13. Seattle, WA
  14. Orlando, FL
  15. Columbia, SC
  16. Bellevue, WA
  17. Cincinnati, OH
  18. St Louis, MO
  19. Atlanta, GA
  20. Richmond, VA

Last edited by tubemonkey; 04-24-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Amazon's 1st Annual Most Well-Read Cities in America - 2011

Quote:
Just in time for the summer reading season, Amazon.com announced its list of the Top 20 Most Well-Read Cities in America. After compiling sales data of all book, magazine and newspaper sales in both print and Kindle format since Jan. 1, 2011, on a per capita basis in cities with more than 100,000 residents, the Top 20 Most Well-Read Cities are:
  1. Cambridge, MA
  2. Alexandria, VA
  3. Berkeley, CA
  4. Ann Arbor, MI
  5. Boulder, CO
  6. Miami, FL
  7. Salt Lake City, UT
  8. Gainesville, FL
  9. Seattle, WA
  10. Arlington, VA
  11. Knoxville, TN
  12. Orlando, FL
  13. Pittsburgh, PA
  14. Washington, DC
  15. Bellevue, WA
  16. Columbia, SC
  17. St Louis, MO
  18. Cincinnati, OH
  19. Portland, OR
  20. Atlanta, GA

Last edited by tubemonkey; 04-24-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
So Ann Arbor started at #4 (I pick that because I live just outside A2), and is now down to #6. I wonder whether that's because they're not reading (from Amazon) as much, or whether other cities are just ordering more books from Amazon (maybe due to loss of B&M bookstores?)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
So Ann Arbor started at #4 (I pick that because I live just outside A2), and is now down to #6. I wonder whether that's because they're not reading (from Amazon) as much, or whether other cities are just ordering more books from Amazon (maybe due to loss of B&M bookstores?)
Kinda funny that Amazon's home town - Seattle - is only 13.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
It seems to be only Amazon data and does not include other companies data.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
It seems to be only Amazon data and does not include other companies data.
Apache
Yep, it's strictly an Amazon thing.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Maybe people in Ann Arbor are reading longer books, and thus reading just as much, but buying a smaller number.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Portland, Oregon seems to me to have the most avid readers of any place I've been - so many people everywhere you look toting around and reading books on public transportation, in parks and on the street. I felt right at home. They have their own amazing, giant (a full city block, several stories) legendary bookstore - Powell's Books. I bet if the data included all books bought and sold, Portland would be near the top.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
Portland, Oregon seems to me to have the most avid readers of any place I've been - so many people everywhere you look toting around and reading books on public transportation, in parks and on the street. I felt right at home. They have their own amazing, giant (a full city block, several stories) legendary bookstore - Powell's Books. I bet if the data included all books bought and sold, Portland would be near the top.
Seattle is similar -- I worry about those folks Kindling down the street risking broken bones not paying attention! Lots of folks on the bus using ereaders or reading teeny font on their phones. And, yes, still quite a few DTB'ers around, too.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #12
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
So what do we make of Miami still at #6? Too hot, most of the year, to do much else? And where's Madison?
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is not a list of the most well read cities. This is a list of cities that bought more books from Amazon. Bah!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Borders (the book store) originated in Ann Arbor. I remember visiting their original store sometime around 1990. It was huge with an awesome selection. And since nothing succeeds like excess, they went on to expand and collapse.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #15
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I guess most people in NOLA are too busy dancing in the streets for NOLA to make the list. I do what I can to take up the slack, though I'm in a formerly rural, now suburban town n. of the lake that was home to Walker Percy. We have a wonderful public library, with a better eBook selection than New Orleans Public.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote